Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:51 am

The Grand Club had just been renovated last December. The food offerings have increased by 1 or 2 items.

Complimentary wifi access at the Grand club.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm in Jakarta now, and thinking about giving the GH a spin. However, the cheapest I can find is $112++ via a prepaid rate. Many other 5 stars can be had for under $100 all in, through local travel agents (Kaha, etc).

Has anyone else gotten any better rates here?
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Hi, Australian Diamonds are being targetted with a 20% off in Asia at the moment, say "Gidday Mate, this Pub 20% off, give me one of those club suites and chill some beer for me and the missus" .
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there an offer code associated with this?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by Aircoco
Just finished a 2 nite stay at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta, was upgraded to the Premier suite. It was very nice, with a impressive jacuzzi tub, and all the complimentary fruits and chocolate from the C restaurant.
Is it common for D members to be upgraded to a "suite" at this hotel? I have stayed at a lot of Hyatt hotels, but I have never been upgraded without certificates.

I am thinking to decide between IC and GH. I am a RA with IC. I am taking my family to Jakarta for a weekend stay for the first time. Any opinion??

Last edited by kats; Sep 5, 2009 at 7:44 am
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by kats
Is it common for D members to be upgraded to a "suite"
.........at any hotel. Hi kats, seems to work until that one time that you really want it, or when you are depending on it, I have more success in Indonesia than Thailand. The base rate is very low, seems such a waste to use a suite upgrade, well that's how I think, regards bkkrop
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used a suite cert my last time here, and it was quite a nice one. Since you get 4 a year now, I don't consider it a waste. The cheapest public rate I've seen is usually on the weekend here. I just booked some earlier this week, and the prepaid rate was $112++. I wouldn't say it's cheap, but not $300 a night, certainly.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:18 am

Thank you, BKKROP and Jaimito Cartero!!

I think Grand Hyatt is probably the best choice for us especially because I have not used any of the 4 upgrade certificate yet. My family would love a suite and exec lounge access, and I would enjoy free internet. We will be there in the first weekend of SEP.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Is it common for D members to be upgraded to a "suite" at this hotel? I have stayed at a lot of Hyatt hotels, but I have never been upgraded without certificates.

I am thinking to decide amoung IC and GH. I am a RA with IC. I am taking my family to Jakarta for a weekend stay for the first time. Any opinion??
I have stayed the GH-Jakarta many times. Have never been complimentary upgraded to suite. However, always given Club access & all the usual Diamond benefits (free Internet/wifi, etc) with no issues.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:45 pm

I will be staying at this property this weekend. I will be travelling with my family and I want to take a taxi to the hotel from the airport. My guide books says a taxi outside the terminal building is cheaper, and I have to bargain with a taxi driver. Does anybody have an idea of how much I should bargain for? The guide book says "Rp.80,000", but I was afraid it was outdated.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 1:08 am

If you have never been to Jakarta, try only taxi from BlueBird Group: bluebird taxi or silver taxi.

For a trip originating from Soekarno Hatta airport to Grand Hyatt, it will probably costs around Rp 120,000 to Rp 130,000 if you take Blue Bird taxi. Silver bird will cost Rp 25,000 more at least.

You are expected to pay the toll charges, around Rp 10,500 (prepare some small change, unless you are taking Silver Bird).

I will be staying at this property this weekend. I will be travelling with my family and I want to take a taxi to the hotel from the airport. My guide books says a taxi outside the terminal building is cheaper, and I have to bargain with a taxi driver. Does anybody have an idea of how much I should bargain for? The guide book says "Rp.80,000", but I was afraid it was outdated.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am currently at the GH for the next few days. It's a decent choice for staying in Jakarta. The Club Lounge is nice in the evening, and has good food options every night. My favorite are the satays. They had shrimp ones last night, but I didn't like them as much as the chicken ones.

Bluebird taxis are good, but are more expensive than other companies. If it's your first trip, it won't hurt to take them, but as you become more comfortable, you may want to take other companies.

I find Expres taxis (white) to be just as good as Bluebird. And about 20% cheaper. The high class option, Silverbird, that Bluebird runs is good, but not worth the 50% premium or so that they charge.

I took a Bluebird from the airport to my hotel, in the later evening, and it was about 100,000k, including the tolls from the airport. Some may try and charge you for the tolls going to the airport as well, although I'm not sure if this is legit or not.

All, in all, taxis are pretty cheap in Jakarta. If a driver refuses to use the meter, that's my cue to get out of the taxi.

At the airport, there are some counters for different taxi companies. They will generally help you outside to the taxi. Just don't pay a fixed fee, or a get a minivan unless you need it.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 7:41 am

Thanks OP for your comments and advice. Checked in the hotel late last night. To my surprise, there was a Hyatt rep waiting for us at the airport though I never made the request. The rep who had a Hyatt name tag was kind enough to take our luggage through the customs and asked if I wanted to take a hotel limo. I opted for a taxi and he took us to the Silverbird taxi stand. I would have chosen a Bluebird taxi, had I known it was cheaper. We left the airport around midnight and the meter was around Rp.140,000 when we arrived at the hotel. I had to pay 8,000 for the airport and 11,000 for highway additionally. It was a very comfortable ride on a brand new Mercedes.

We were assigned to the Grand Suite on the 25th floor, which is the 2nd floor from the top. I used the upgrade certificate. The suite is comfortable and large enough for 3 of us. I like the exec lounge on the 22nd floor with wood floor. Breakfast in the lounge was not that impressive with limited selection. However, the food being offered during cocktail hours was nice. I liked the sushi rolls and salmon with seaweed. Chicken looked great, but I personally did not like the taste.

It is our first visit to the city and we walked around the hotel today. We had lunch at a Chinese/Indonesian restaurant on our way to the National Monument. I have been to a lot of Chinese restaurants and I must say this place is among the best. The restaurant is just 2 or 3 buildings away from Ibis hotel. We plan to visit the antiques market before we return to Bangkok tomorrow. We are ready to return to Jakarta for another weekend stay whenever AirAsia offers a great promo.

BTW, I think the hotel security is very tight and we feel very safe in the hotel, especially on a high floor. The hotel security seems tighter than any hotel in Bangkok where I live. I do not understand how some hotels in Jakarta still get targeted for bombing...
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks OP for your comments and advice. Checked in the hotel late last night. To my surprise, there was a Hyatt rep waiting for us at the airport though I never made the request. The rep who had a Hyatt name tag was kind enough to take our luggage through the customs and asked if I wanted to take a hotel limo. I opted for a taxi and he took us to the Silverbird taxi stand. I would have chosen a Bluebird taxi, had I known it was cheaper. We left the airport around midnight and the meter was around Rp.140,000 when we arrived at the hotel. I had to pay 8,000 for the airport and 11,000 for highway additionally. It was a very comfortable ride on a brand new Mercedes.

We were assigned to the Grand Suite on the 25th floor, which is the 2nd floor from the top. I used the upgrade certificate. The suite is comfortable and large enough for 3 of us. I like the exec lounge on the 22nd floor with wood floor. Breakfast in the lounge was not that impressive with limited selection. However, the food being offered during cocktail hours was nice. I liked the sushi rolls and salmon with seaweed. Chicken looked great, but I personally did not like the taste.

It is our first visit to the city and we walked around the hotel today. We had lunch at a Chinese/Indonesian restaurant on our way to the National Monument. I have been to a lot of Chinese restaurants and I must say this place is among the best. The restaurant is just 2 or 3 buildings away from Ibis hotel. We plan to visit the antiques market before we return to Bangkok tomorrow. We are ready to return to Jakarta for another weekend stay whenever AirAsia offers a great promo.

BTW, I think the hotel security is very tight and we feel very safe in the hotel, especially on a high floor. The hotel security seems tighter than any hotel in Bangkok where I live. I do not understand how some hotels in Jakarta still get targeted for bombing...
We may have passed each other in the lounge tonight. I liked the mini pizza the best. I had hoped for Chicken Satays, but no luck.

Most of the better hotels have representatives at the airport. Just tell them you want a Bluebird, and they'll take care of you.

The security is okay, and obviously it's more strict that when I was here last (May, I think). Security is still pretty lax, if someone really wanted to do something. Luckily, things are not really that bad.

I upgraded to the suite as well, am one the 24th floor. A nice one bedroom suite.

I find the Chinese restaurants that serve pork are some of the best I've eaten in. I've had some great Dim Sum here, and prefer it more than the Hong Kong, SF or NYC ones I've been to.

My favorite one is Furama, on Hayam Wuruk. I liked it better when it was 550k+ for AYCE, but even the 798k+ isn't too bad.

You paid an extra $4 for the taxi, so nothing too bad, really. If you want a Bluebird going to the airport, just have the hotel call you one. As long as it's over 25k, you're fine, since that's the minimum charge when one is called out.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
What is the diamond amenity at this place. I was told it was the daily fruit. 2 Green apples? ...? I have always received their evening fruit service before i was Diamond.
Yes, those mini pizzas at the lounge are quite nice. However I feel the quality of this hotel has gone down since my previous stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.