Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can I use Suite upgrade cert in combination of paid and award stays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Hi, got some questions about use of Suite certificate for Globalist:

1. I have a 4 night stay at GH Jeju - and it is a paid res.
2. I also have a free night cert for up to a cat 4
3. I called the Globalist line to get the stay upgraded using my suite certificate. I also asked if I could use the free night cert in 1 night - and keep the res as paid stay for the other 3, then apply the suite cert to the whole stay, and was told no. It's either I use the cert, and keep the other 3 night as paid stay, OR I keep everything as paid stay and use the suite cert.

I picked the later, and the res does change to show a Corner Suite - which is to their credit, looks quite good.

I recalled staying at HR Tokyo for 4 nights with mixed res (2 paid stay, 2 award stay - so 3 separate res total but consecutively still 4 nights) - and I was a mid tier status holder at the time (not Globalist), HR Tokyo allowed me to use just 1 Club access award for the whole stay.

Curious if anyone has experience what I was told.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi, got some questions about use of Suite certificate for Globalist:

1. I have a 4 night stay at GH Jeju - and it is a paid res.
2. I also have a free night cert for up to a cat 4
3. I called the Globalist line to get the stay upgraded using my suite certificate. I also asked if I could use the free night cert in 1 night - and keep the res as paid stay for the other 3, then apply the suite cert to the whole stay, and was told no. It's either I use the cert, and keep the other 3 night as paid stay, OR I keep everything as paid stay and use the suite cert.

I picked the later, and the res does change to show a Corner Suite - which is to their credit, looks quite good.

I recalled staying at HR Tokyo for 4 nights with mixed res (2 paid stay, 2 award stay - so 3 separate res total but consecutively still 4 nights) - and I was a mid tier status holder at the time (not Globalist), HR Tokyo allowed me to use just 1 Club access award for the whole stay.

Curious if anyone has experience what I was told.
you can’t use a suite upgrade award with a free night cert. you can use it with cash or points or a combination of the two but not with a cert.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:27 pm
Company Representative: World of Hyatt

Programs: World of Hyatt
Thank you for choosing Hyatt. Neither a Club Access Awrad or a Suite Upgrade Award may be used if any part of a reservation is using a Free Night Award Certificate. Please contact @Hyattconcierge directly with any questions you may have. We will be happy to help you.
jameswes likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Thk you. I did reach out to my assigned concierge and she shared the same thing. Thank you again. It helps understanding what we can and cannot do. We are trying to re-qual for Globalist this year. Compared to other major progs, we like WoH the most ....
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
You saw the official rules…..

What I have done is booked the first 3 nights using cash or points and upgraded to a suite using cert. Then 4th night using a cat 4 cert that is expiring soon on a separate booking knowing we may have to move room on day 4. I asked WoH to note my free night confirmation in the first booking so hotel can see the back to back stays. In 2 occasions that I can think of, hotel extended the curtesy and we didn’t have to change room. YMMV.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:32 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 168
You saw the official rules…..

What I have done is booked the first 3 nights using cash or points and upgraded to a suite using cert. Then 4th night using a cat 4 cert that is expiring soon on a separate booking knowing we may have to move room on day 4. I asked WoH to note my free night confirmation in the first booking so hotel can see the back to back stays. In 2 occasions that I can think of, hotel extended the curtesy and we didn’t have to change room. YMMV.
I tried the "booking 2 reservations" trick. I first booked several nights using points and successfully applied a Suite Upgrade Award. I then booked another night using a Cat 1-7 award. When the hotel reached out to me in advance of my stay, I mentioned the 2 reservations. The hotel then removed the Suite Upgrade (and returned it to me) on the first reservation. I couldn't argue as what the property did was in accodance with the T&Cs, but ...

YMMV, indeed.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
This has been a past challenge, and while rules are clear often makes it a trade off to use the free night. If a globalist you could in theory book free night in another name if traveling with others, but this while allowed would run risk of changing rooms and possibly being in limbo for a few hours if you can’t overlap late check-out and early check-in options. Often the suite has trumped the putting certificate to separate use. But agree YMMV situation.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Only once, ever, was I able to make this work thanks to a cooperative property and my Concierge. I would expect you won’t be able to pull it off as proposed.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:51 pm
Original Member

I'm trying to do this, but what if you booked the Cat 1-X award first, accepted whatever room they gave you for night 1 and then attempted to upgrade for the remaining cash/points nights? Is the problem that the system wants to automatically combine the reservations?

My other idea is to switch properties after my Cat 1-7 award night (Breathless Montego Bay) and then walk next door to one of the Secrets properties for the cash/points + TSU nights.

[Update: after booking a points + TSU award, I am waiting until the day before checkout to see if there is availability for a Cat 1-7 anywhere on the island and use it to extend my vacation and get another Brand Explorer property.]

Last edited by Tino; Feb 9, 2023 at 1:59 pm
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Is the way the reservation showing in the account and in the app different btw applying suite certificate on paid stays vs award stays?

My reservation for GH Jeju (paid stay) has both app and account showing the new room in the rest. The other res - on Century Hyatt Tokyo still shows standard room but it was booked using points. My suite cert count has decreased by one, so I know that one has been taken away for the Tokyo reservation. The Glob agent on the phone told me that the way I can tell that it's been confirmed is if 1 certificate has been redeemed - and it has (on the app and the account page).

Is this normal?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Is the way the reservation showing in the account and in the app different btw applying suite certificate on paid stays vs award stays?

My reservation for GH Jeju (paid stay) has both app and account showing the new room in the rest. The other res - on Century Hyatt Tokyo still shows standard room but it was booked using points. My suite cert count has decreased by one, so I know that one has been taken away for the Tokyo reservation. The Glob agent on the phone told me that the way I can tell that it's been confirmed is if 1 certificate has been redeemed - and it has (on the app and the account page).

Is this normal?
Yes thats normal
Old Feb 10, 2023, 6:07 am

Is this normal?
TSU on award stays do not show in your reservation, only on the property side. My preferred procedure is to email the hotel to get written confirmation of my suite reservation.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:09 am

It is an absolutely moronic and insanely idiotic rule Hyatt has that serves only 1 purpose, and that is to increase breakage in the most customer unfriendly way possible. I have personally battled it many a time. Just an arbitrary, you can't use THIS free night type but THIS one over here, ie points, is fine. They are otherwise totally fungible...same requirements for available room types, etc, but you randomly can't use the certs with the DSU. I always just book the stay without the cert, apply the upgrade then book the cert night at the end or beginning KNOWING that technically the hotel can ask me to change rooms for that one night at the end or beginning, which has never happened once. Every rep I talk to argues and fights me when I try and apply a DSU where there is a cert night after or before, so I just cancel it and then tell them, apply the DSU now. They always piss and moan but they do it, and then I just rebook the free night myself after. A completely terrible rule that serves zero purpose, can always be easily circumvented and just makes the customer's life harder for zero reason. The exact opposite of what any loyalty program or any business for that matter should ever be doing to customers.
SF1K, kevino, wilywombat and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
TSU on award stays do not show in your reservation, only on the property side. My preferred procedure is to email the hotel to get written confirmation of my suite reservation.
Thks - did that w the hotel, and got it confirmed. My concierge confirmed the same. It's not a perfect system, but I like it very much and miles better than Bonvoy SNA.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:13 am

I stumbled on this today, as I have a PH Zurich 3 night stay followed by a Cat7 cert night. Concierge would not confirm my suite upgrade request for the 3 night reservation. I guess this is standard knowledge but seems extremely punitive, since the T&C's say "...Suite Upgrade Award must be redeemed in connection with a reservation at a Hyatt hotel with a checkout date before the expiration date." . I can no longer use the cert at PH Zurich due to the recent category inflation, so I am stuck I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.