Wiki Posts
Search

Backup Hilton status?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Backup Hilton status?

I'm travelling a lot this fall and just put in to get my Hyatt Diamond status matched to Hilton Diamond, just in case I end up in a place where there is a Hilton option but not a Hyatt. I also requested SPG Plat but they wouldn't honor a status match because I've had SPG Plat in the last five years.

I'm wondering if any other Hyatt Diamonds have a backup Hilton status and what Hiltons are like in comparison? From what I've read on FT it seems like there are more Hiltons around but they have fewer lounges/services than Hyatt, generally.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:06 pm

I am Diamond with HH, Plat with SPG and Diamond with Hyatt. I find that Hilton absolutely has a huge footprint and I do use it for a backup. I usually use Hyatt/SPG depending on their promos but use Hiltons when I am staying in more remote areas.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I've found Hilton hotels to be slightly below Hyatt Regency quality, and Conrad hotels to be slightly below Grand Hyatt quality. All have been perfectly acceptable for us.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:20 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I have Hilton Diamond as backup. Status matched earlier this year. Used Hilton for the first time in about 10+ years again. Currently staying at the Waldorf Hilton in London, due to a conference here.
Funny thing, upon check-in they thanked me for my loyalty to Hilton - ha
my absolute preference is Hyatt. Hilton is definitely only a backup.
While the Waldorf London is ok, my expectations were MUCH higher. Waldorf reminds me of Waldorf Astoria in NY, so should be high end, similar to Park Hyatt (was my thinking), but that's not the case here. Lounge is not as good as Hyatt, Service is ok (had to call at 3 pm, as my room was still not made up, even though marked with green light to have my room cleaned. I guess because they realized I am Diamond, next morning room was made around 9:30 am already.

just booked London for New Year, and chose the Andaz
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I've found Hilton hotels to be slightly below Hyatt Regency quality, and Conrad hotels to be slightly below Grand Hyatt quality.
Agree.

Now if you are talking out in the HP and HH sticks I'd say Hilton is less consistent than Hyatt but has a higher upside on a new build, and is generally better than my old second choice Marriott non-FS properties.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I also matched to Hilton Diamond, and I haven't been impressed at all. I really can't stand Embassy Suites, and Hilton considers that a "full-service" property. Ha! Give me any Hyatt Centric or HR. I also really don't care for HGI or Hampton Inns and consider HPs and HHs to be far superior.

My one experience with a Waldorf Astoria this year was also completely underwhelming. Hyatt has been far better for me from top to bottom.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I really can't stand Embassy Suites, and Hilton considers that a "full-service" property. Ha! Give me any Hyatt Centric or HR. I also really don't care for HGI or Hampton Inns and consider HPs and HHs to be far superior.

My one experience with a Waldorf Astoria this year was also completely underwhelming. Hyatt has been far better for me from top to bottom.
ES is limited service and limited hhonors benefits. W/A exempts itself from much of the hhonors program.

Hiltons and Conrads are IME often excellent options, particularly in areas where Hyatt has nothing (like much of Europe and South America).

International Conrads are typically better than the local GH (e.g., SIN, TYO.)

Hilton is much more generous with its promos and it's very easy to score lots of points.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
While the Waldorf Astoria in NYC would have been a top hotel when it was built, the reality ceased a long time ago. At times the hotel has been filled with large groups of people on cheap bus tours, with long lines in the lobby and guests being packed too many into one room. The more elegant part, although the depressing lobby area is too small for the number of rooms, is the more residential Waldorf Towers, which is really a separate hotel connected to the main WA lobby by a "secret" interior passageway.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Kacee
ES is limited service and limited hhonors benefits.
No. Hilton considers Embassy Suites full service.

http://embassysuitesmediacenter.com/index.cfm/page/4023

"Embassy Suites by Hilton, part of Hilton Worldwide's portfolio of thirteen brands is a full service brand that offers both leisure and business travelers an approachable, upscale experience with best in class customer service, that anticipates travelers' needs and delivers what matters most to them."
Also, LOL at "upscale experience."
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
No. Hilton considers Embassy Suites full service.
I guess that's what Hilton calls it . . . I would disagree

Limited hhonors benefits . . . Diamonds do not room upgrades.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
I guess that's what Hilton calls it . . . I would disagree

I would say as a Hilton diamond I got upgrades far less than at hyatts as a diamond. Maybe it's just my experience so I'd say "limited hhonors benefits" is a systemwide thing. At least in the US
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:45 am

Were you talking just about ES or across all Hilton brands?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I just finished my Hilton diamond challenge. I have stayed at mostly HGI, Doubletree, and Hampton hotels, plus one Hilton. The hotels were ok but I definitely prefer Hyatt. But my biggest complaint is that for almost every stay I was charged for internet (free) or breakfast (free) and it has required many phone calls to resolve in a few cases. It has been a real pain - so much harder to resolve problems like this which would be much more straightforward with Hyatt.

It's good to have another backup hotel but I'll definitely choose Hyatt whenever possible.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I got Hilton Diamond as a status match to Hyatt last year. Since I wasn't trying to requalify for Hyatt at the end of the year, I decided to stay at a Hilton to check it out. Note - this is my ONE experience with Hilton. I didn't know to know pre-check in so that I could get room upgrades. I picked a room and at check in, I basically had to BEG for an upgrade. There were plenty of upper level rooms left online too. The agent first booked us into a suite with bayview which was great! The room wasn't ready yet though but when I went back to the front desk, the agent said she had misspoke and they had to bump me back down. I ended up with just a 1 level room upgrade at a hotel with several suite options.

Meanwhile at Hyatt, I have gotten multiple complimentary suite upgrades (even by just asking) which is actually excluded in their T&Cs. I'm working towards getting SPG for next year and requalifying for Hyatt.

Note - I've stayed over 10 nights this year at Hampton Inns as a Diamond (unfortunately no Hyatts or SPG in the area) but since those don't come with any extraordinary benefits, I don't consider those.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I have Hilton Diamond as backup. Status matched earlier this year. Used Hilton for the first time in about 10+ years again. Currently staying at the Waldorf Hilton in London, due to a conference here.
Funny thing, upon check-in they thanked me for my loyalty to Hilton - ha
my absolute preference is Hyatt. Hilton is definitely only a backup.
While the Waldorf London is ok, my expectations were MUCH higher. Waldorf reminds me of Waldorf Astoria in NY, so should be high end, similar to Park Hyatt (was my thinking), but that's not the case here. Lounge is not as good as Hyatt, Service is ok (had to call at 3 pm, as my room was still not made up, even though marked with green light to have my room cleaned. I guess because they realized I am Diamond, next morning room was made around 9:30 am already.

just booked London for New Year, and chose the Andaz
Hilton has a lot of choice in London unlike Hyatt although the Hyatt offerings are significantly better IMO than most of the Hilton offerings. The benefit of all the choice is that you can usually find a decent Hilton at a reasonable rate. The Conrad St. James is a very nice property and IMO on a par to the Churchill in terms of room, lounge, location etc. The Hilton London Bankside is a new property and is worth a try if the location works for you with nice rooms, swimming pool and a decent lounge. Service in my experience has been fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.