Wiki Posts
Search

4K TV in-room

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
4K TV in-room

I was wondering if some Hyatt already switched to 4K TV? I would guess the firsts would be the Park Hyatt but didn't see any change in ly last stays.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
what would the benefit be? Many hotels don't even have HD program source, and the HD is rarely as good as DirecTV - meaning the bit rates are crushed and the pictures are soft. Upconverted 4K doesn't fix that...
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
seems utterly pointless for any hyatt Ive stayed in. Most have small TVs (in general) and suspect programming... well below the HD you can pick up with rabbit ears even.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SportsTech
what would the benefit be? Many hotels don't even have HD program source, and the HD is rarely as good as DirecTV - meaning the bit rates are crushed and the pictures are soft. Upconverted 4K doesn't fix that...
Simply bring your own content.....
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by RTW1
+1
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
And hope the TV isn't locked down to prevent you using it!

(Or hack it, which is fun to do )
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I do have my own contents. That said, while everyone may be different, I tend to not rent a hotel room to watch TV. I do use it to keep up with news, and it is annoying when the HDTV has mostly blurry low def channels.

I have 4K at home, but don't really seen the need for it in hotel rooms, and it certainly wouldn't be a factor in choosing a property. hDTV, on the other hand... years ago it was a distinguishing factor for me that made me like Hyatt Place a little bit better.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Seriously, you'd bring a 4K Blu-Ray player with you to watch TV in your room? And an HDMI 2.0a cable? Good luck trying to stream 4K over Hyatt IP networks - and even if that worked, you'd have crushingly compressed source that wouldn't look better than the (crushingly compressed) HD the hotel gives you today on a mediocre 1080p TV.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
And 3D televisions! When will Hyatt get some of those?

And I'm tired of hauling my Betamax with me every time I visit PH Tokyo. They should have those set up in every room as well.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Seriously, you'd bring a 4K Blu-Ray player with you to watch TV in your room? And an HDMI 2.0a cable? Good luck trying to stream 4K over Hyatt IP networks - and even if that worked, you'd have crushingly compressed source that wouldn't look better than the (crushingly compressed) HD the hotel gives you today on a mediocre 1080p TV.
I have kodi (www.kodi.tv) on my Mac and yes, I carry a (fairly long) HDMI cable with me. I have a collection of TV/Movies on a USB drive so when I get downtime I can catch up with stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.