Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: griffingrowl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Mallorca REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
The kid problem seems to be an issue every where. If I did 1/10 of what kids did today I would have stopped real quickly. Parents just let their kids do everything and everything, the screaming is out of control. My wife was in Bangalor at the Lela and this familys kids were out of control the french coulple next to us yelled at them and the family left they were upset but they got the point. Why should I have to deal with your poor handling of your kids.

45 Min wait is way too long and there should be a fix for that, one again that's a let a manager know asap issue. It shouldn't matter if I am on points, c+p or cash I am a customer. I got those point by staying at other locations and spending the money. I hate using my points without a good redemption value.

Even in Tokyo I get amazing corporate rates so its tough to use points there when I can get the andaz for 250 a night and not 500.

For this trip the 800 eur a night was a perfect time to use point.

Lastly Diamond when recognized properly is great. You work hard to get it, yes some people get it on challenges, when you stay 60 or 70 nights in a year at a brand you should be taken care of. There are a lot of brands and its nice to receive recognition.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Expect kids to be there when you go to resorts during the school holidays.....
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Yes - I think the plans are for a total of 16 Suites - The only difference between the two I looked at was one was with hot tub and one was without. I was told that the regular suite did not have the large common area just an additional seating area and larger patio. I will post pics following cleaning in the AM as its a bit messy at this point.

To this point it appears internally the View rooms are considered more desirable than Deluxe rooms due to having a view of the sea. In fact when moving the bell boy said OH NO when I told him we were moving to a suite. Only when I gave him the number did he say it was a good room as well.

I don't have a huge problem with the kids.. Just the resorts claim (upon checkin and on website) is of a quiet intimate experience for couples. While families will be here simple things such as enforcing the adults pool, isolating families from couples at restaurants ect ect would go along way.. I in no way mean to offend folks with children. Our first night here was a Thursday and it was amazing. Friday - Monday was pretty bad but it looks like most families have left so I don't think we will have an issue for 2 more nights.

Most of the families here were Spanish or German.

I asked the Mr Lopez if I could tour the other room types tomorrow to provide photos for all Crossing my fingers.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:41 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by footastic
Ehh. Not so much out side of Aviara (PH lite IMO) I have not been to a PH that does not offer something special. At the 850€ price point it I doubt it would significantly impact prices especially considering the number of diamonds in the program.

PH Vendome, Milan ,Sydney , Buenos Aires, Beijing and Vienna consistently offers me at least 2 free drink tickets per night for my stay as a unknown benefit (granted I have 10+ stays at all but Vienna.) Tokyo as a great reception for diamonds. Having stayed about 40 nights this year at PH this is the first that didn't offer a perk for drinks or in room breakfast for diamonds. The rate at all of these is consistently less than the rate here.

It is nice room service has no service fees but at these standard rates it's shocking to have no additional perks. Maybe I'm just over entitled!

Don't get me wrong great property but as a diamond I don't feel any visible perks outside of a single cat upgrade. I suspect much will change as they make adjustments after being open more than 2 months.
None of Vendome, Milan, Sydney or Vienna offered us free drink coupons, so YMMV.

@Kids: It is a resort, so of course they are kids around, which are playing. They are lots of kids at the PH AUH as well e.g..
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:33 pm

After tonight, I have to agree with footastic. I have no issue with kids usually but it's pretty bad here. It's 1030pm and 5 kids have spent at least the last hour screaming in the courtyard, climbing on trees and running around like maniacs. Obviously a lot of that is the parenting, but it's made for a miserable night on our balcony.

With that said, our stay has been great so far. No issues at check in (Maria was awesome) and great service throughout our stay. Wonderful dinner tonight at Torre de Canyamel. Breakfast spread was very nice.

Only complaint other than the kids is the view of the construction but that was expected.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Haha. I just had them playing with a ball hit my wine glass and spill it all over my SO. Red wine on a dress wonderful.

I really don't know why a informal seperation is an issue.
At this point it's funny glad we're out tomw.

I don't know but I've stayed at meh resorts in Mexico that handle kids better. Just establish play areas not in the middle of restaurants and such.

update- they calmed down for 10 minutes or so and then knocked 2 glasses off the table behind me. Not sure how well the Michelin review will go here lol.

Last edited by footastic; Aug 9, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I did a one night points stay post-cruise.
Pretty easy drive from the airport. Google maps got me there without problems. As a Diamond, I was upgraded to a Park View King.
My only issue was a lack of shade near the pools. They really have a shortage of umbrellas. We got there at 2 pm and there was nothing available.
The service level at the pool was not great... I am not sure even after staying there who is responsible for helping guests with chairs and umbrellas.... There are guys who deliver food and drink... they were tied up with lunch. The lifeguards (understandably), ignored us.
But the lifeguards helped us the next morning.
The "beach club" really seems to be a deck with 6 double loungers and a hot tub. No service or towels.
Food was good. Breakfast had a nice spread.
Ate dinner at the tapas restaurant. Food and wine were excellent.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by footastic
Haha. I just had them playing with a ball hit my wine glass and spill it all over my SO. Red wine on a dress wonderful.

I really don't know why a informal seperation is an issue.
At this point it's funny glad we're out tomw.

I don't know but I've stayed at meh resorts in Mexico that handle kids better. Just establish play areas not in the middle of restaurants and such.

update- they calmed down for 10 minutes or so and then knocked 2 glasses off the table behind me. Not sure how well the Michelin review will go here lol.
Is it the same children that are causing all of the issues? Have you talked to management about it? I would, quite frankly, lose my sh!t on the parents if that happened to me and my wife, and I would certainly have a conversation with the GM before departing. It's simply unacceptable for a resort of this cost and supposed luxury.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cohall
Is it the same children that are causing all of the issues? Have you talked to management about it? I would, quite frankly, lose my sh!t on the parents if that happened to me and my wife, and I would certainly have a conversation with the GM before departing. It's simply unacceptable for a resort of this cost and supposed luxury.
Nah. Been here five nights. Issue is kids all over with no bounds. Seems to be many kids from many families. I'm so frustrated by it. Never have seen it okay or be playing and running in the restaurant area. It's going to be a major issue here during the high season if they don't establish bounds to restaurants and some sort of a quiet time.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:43 am

Flying in a week from Saturday and staying for 7 nights. This is just my wife and I celebrating our 10th anniversary. A couple of questions for those who have visited:

- I used a DSU - can anyone give more info on desirable suite locations? What should I ask for? Specific views / rooms?

- As a Diamond, will I get any free alcohol like I did at the GH Playa del Carmen?

- Diamond lounge? Any food besides breakfast?

- Recommendations on restaurants / places to visit outside the resort?

- Suggestions on things to do on the island?

- Suggestions on beaches / places to snorkel?

- Anyone do any scuba diving while here?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Standard suites look to over look pool (sunset). Not sure if any have a view of the sea.

You will likely get a bottle of cava as a welcome drink and maybe for your anniversary nite.

There is no lounge. the library area has a nesspresso machine and the reception area offers water. It appears that on our last day they are now setting out cava for an hour or so in the evenings. Nice touch.

In arta there are several traditional Mallorcian places that are very good (I can pm you a list of ones we tried) if your up for going about 20 min away Porto Christo has a restaurant "Quince" that we really enjoyed. Not super formal but great food.

We rented a car and drove to some of the smaller beaches. It looks like with a bit of a hike you could get some okay snorkeling. We attempted to book a padi trip but they were booked every day we were here. So jump on that ASAP if you want to go out on a boat.

Tuesday's market in arta was fun. Check it out if your Tuesday is open. .

Breakfast is so so a bit inconsistent (burnt omelet one day perfect the next hit YMMV) but you can request such things as bellinis and memosias which are apparently included (we were not charged the last 2 days after asking for them).

Don't expect much for diamond recognition. Most rates that the Dutch are booking include the room upgrade / breakfast and late check out. Or at least it's commonly offered. Aside from a bowl of cherries and cava we saw no different treatment (i.e. No priority list for reservations at restaurants)

Avoid sitting outside at dinner. Kids are consistently a nightmare here. We have had two sets of tourists come and go and both sets have had 2-3 kid per 2 adults and are crazy. We found the one night we sat inside was the only enjoyable dinner experience. The food at tapa is great though. Definitely try the red tuna and scallop / coconut almond soup. Ultimately too many common areas directly adjacent to restaurants. If you sit outside watch for flying balls and running kids in the restaurant areas.

Full review and photos coming soon. Will be working on it on the flight home

Originally Posted by Reisen
Flying in a week from Saturday and staying for 7 nights. This is just my wife and I celebrating our 10th anniversary. A couple of questions for those who have visited:

- I used a DSU - can anyone give more info on desirable suite locations? What should I ask for? Specific views / rooms?

- As a Diamond, will I get any free alcohol like I did at the GH Playa del Carmen?

- Diamond lounge? Any food besides breakfast?

- Recommendations on restaurants / places to visit outside the resort?

- Suggestions on things to do on the island?

- Suggestions on beaches / places to snorkel?

- Anyone do any scuba diving while here?

Last edited by footastic; Aug 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Context: we knew we were taking a trip to Europe in August... after hearing about this property, we totally changed our trip around to spend three nights here, as we love Park Hyatts, at least the 6-7 we've been to... we came to Mallorca all the way from California (which, according to one of the golf cart drivers, was not as unusual as we would have thought, as there were others in residence from California to our surprise... largely, however, it was a German crowd). Anyway, as a result, I'm probably a bit harsh on the place, given that we traveled 18+ hours to get there. So take my notes with a grain of salt.

Positives
-really great "tree" theme, each building is named for a different fruit tree and has a grove of that specific tree surrounding the building, once the trees mature, this will be even more impressive
-plentiful bottled water at turn-down
-we got upgraded as Diamonds to a room at the top of the property with a partial ocean view, we shared NO walls with anyone (though our floor was someone's roof)... it was SOO quiet, we didn't hear any kids, the balcony was large and an incredible place to sit and eat
-many of the employees are staffed from other Park Hyatts, so they understand the brand
-incredible landscaping, beautiful fountains, coming from California where fountains are no longer politically correct, I thought this was very "old school" and cool
-buildings are brand new
-breakfast spread is amazing, has some Mallorcan specialties, including local jams (lemon! loquats!), local honies, paprika sausage, tomato/olive oil paste, some chile-marinated cheese, marinated corvina, ensaimadas, other stuff I'm forgetting!!!
-Japanese-style washlet toilet
-the public art, as usual, is so impressive
-great towels!!!

Negatives
-for an American, A/C was very weak. 2-3 times a night we would wake up in a sweat. Given that this hotel is new, I guess I just have to accept that new Spanish construction skimps on quality A/C.
-the property is large, so it's a lot of walking. Frustratingly, you do a lot of uphill walking to go downhill and vice versa. Had an ankle injury, so it was a bit tough.
-ice bucket in the room but no way to get ice? I guess I could have called, but I hate to make someone get on a golf cart just for ice.
-this kills me... the room is horrible if you like blackout conditions for sleep. The curtains in the bedroom only cut like 60% and the bathroom, whose light you can't really prevent from entering the bedroom, has no real curtains.
-there was a random THUDDUNK sound that emanated from the minibar area every thirty minutes day and night
-watch out for bugs, balcony door can't be shut when you are on the balcony
-the conditioner (Bottega Veneta brand, a leather company) is poorly designed such that is nearly impossible to extricate liquid from the bottle. I know this is a really small detail, but can you imagine paying rack rate and spending 10 minutes in the shower squeezing a bottle of conditioner like it's the meanest glass bottle of Heinz ketchup you've ever had? Really frustrating.
-maybe Spain has laws surrounding this, but the rain shower was really weak. More like a trickle. Really low flow. Take some of those fountains offline and use that water for showers!
-plenty of chairs at the pool, but not enough umbrellas! A lot of chair hoarding drama just to get shade.
-Pool is heated to a European temperature. Not an issue, but an adjustment! I think of resort life as having a warm pool, and this just wasn't. The jacuzzis were both cold, as well.
-Random service issues. Hopefully, this is all just teething.
-made an iPad request for an extra toiletry set. Request was "fulfilled" on iPad but it never happened. Then I called down the next day to reiterate my request and my disappointment that it had not happened. They agreed to do it and then never did. I called a third time to express my disappointment and ask again. They sent up a high level housekeeper to "check" on me... I explained what I wanted to her and she came back finally with the items. So, all in all, it required five touches to get my request fulfilled. I didn't bother with any weird requests after that.
-We stayed three nights and they never changed the sheets. I called them out on that. They kind of just shrugged. Sneaky!
-one time at the cafe, I waited in line behind a PH employee to buy a coffee. LOL, I get that it's in the middle of nowhere!
-We had a car, and several times we would drive up to the reception to find no one there. Then you have to walk into the lobby to deliver your keys to anyone you can find. Not a problem, not five star though.
-Breakfast was just a garbage fire service-wise. The last morning we came at 7:30 and it was quieter and much better. Other mornings it was very hard to even get water or juice. It's moments like that you wish you could serve yourself. I don't need to be served, I just want liquid! I asked three different people for a glass of water and it was 20 minutes before it happened. Then our order got lost. The wait staff seemed frustrated, too. It makes you appreciate how hard it is to get a meal service well-synchronized.
-I also don't love how they don't publish a list of what you can order at breakfast. I kept seeing things come out to other tables and saying: "Oh, I didn't know they could do that!" Steep learning curve.

Overall, I think the biggest problem was that we didn't really understand what this Park Hyatt was supposed to be. I think you're supposed to come there, stay on site, hit the pool hard, hit the gym hard, hit the spa hard, hit the restaurants hard, and never leave. Like an all-inclusive. We were in the car every day trying to see the island, and it was just a lot of tiring driving. I'd say this hotel isn't really a 5*, more like a great 4* (at least by US standards). That said, Mallorca is wonderful, and I can see why the Germans love it. But I wouldn't tell an American to go to the PH Mallorca. Go to the one in Carlsbad instead!

Last edited by stvr; Aug 12, 2016 at 2:09 am Reason: Added the THUDDUNK I forgot about
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stvr
Overall, I think the biggest problem was that we didn't really understand what this Park Hyatt was supposed to be. I think you're supposed to come there, stay on site, hit the pool hard, hit the gym hard, hit the spa hard, hit the restaurants hard, and never leave. Like an all-inclusive. We were in the car every day trying to see the island, and it was just a lot of tiring driving.
Staying at the property enjoying the facilities for most of the time is normally what people do at a resort type hotel.....

I'm really finding it difficult to take some of your comments seriously..... It seems you were looking for a high rise on a boulevard so you wouldn't have to do any walking or driving. Why did you even choose this place when every indication is there that it's a bit remote? And how big an island is it really to get tired from driving? Was it just that you had to stay at an Hyatt but didn't even look at where you were going?

I can only hope you didn't travel all the way to just visit Mallorca and didn't stop in other parts of Spain or Europe.

Originally Posted by stvr
I'd say this hotel isn't really a 5*, more like a great 4* (at least by US standards). That said, Mallorca is wonderful, and I can see why the Germans love it. But I wouldn't tell an American to go to the PH Mallorca. Go to the one in Carlsbad instead!
Now I know you cannot be serious....
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
Staying at the property enjoying the facilities for most of the time is normally what people do at a resort type hotel.....

I'm really finding it difficult to take some of your comments seriously..... It seems you were looking for a high rise on a boulevard so you wouldn't have to do any walking or driving. Why did you even choose this place when every indication is there that it's a bit remote? And how big an island is it really to get tired from driving? Was it just that you had to stay at an Hyatt but didn't even look at where you were going?

I can only hope you didn't travel all the way to just visit Mallorca and didn't stop in other parts of Spain or Europe.

Now I know you cannot be serious....
This was three nights. No we did not fly from California for three nights in Mallorca. That is absurd. We have moved on to France.

It's a nice hotel. We had a good time. On a Michelin scale, this hotel is a 1 star... A good hotel in its category, but not worth a detour (**), and not worth a special trip (***). Most of my comments were suggestions for improvement (lightproofing, soundproofing) and not an indictment of the very notion of what it means to relax. The comment about walking was an advisory to those with mobility issues.

Last edited by stvr; Aug 12, 2016 at 2:20 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Your review has just left me wondering what made you decide on this property in the first place. Was it just the PH brand?

It's a brand new property, things never run without minor problems in the first months. And the location cannot be that much of a surprise, East Mallorca is bit more remote. But the island isn't that big so distances are normally not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.