Maui Andaz vs Maui Regency

Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Maui Andaz vs Maui Regency

Anyone who has stayed at both locations, can you please give me your opinion on which one is better. We are in our 60's, like a fairly quiet location with good restaurants and upgrade to suite if possible! We are diamond with Hyatt, booked Regency on points in January. No DSU or suite upgrade with points available now, but I keep checking. I keep thinking we should change to Andaz, but wondering if it is mostly younger crowd? The last time we stayed on Ka'anapali beach(Westin at Christmas time) the beach was packed and we didn't enjoy our stay! We have also stayed in Wailea, and enjoyed the area. Andaz is available now for points, but no suite upgrade there either. Opinions on upgrade on arrival at either location in January for 8 nights? Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:47 am

My wife and I just finished up 2 nights at each of these properties last week. For sure, the Regency was our preferred property, but we're also both 24. It was much more fast paced and lively; the pool was a lot more active, and everything around was much more reasonably priced. If you are looking for just relaxation and an "upscale" feel, the Andaz is the way to go. That is not so much our style, though. We found ourselves a bit bored at the Andaz.

We were upgraded to a full ocean view in the middle tower at the Regency, being only Platinum members, but received nothing (not even recognition of status) at the Andaz. , even though it wasn't necessarily expected.

When we return back to Maui in the future, it will be a full Regency stay, no doubt about it.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:23 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I've been to both of them multiple times.

The Andaz is quieter. It's definitely more expensive, although on points I think it's a reasonable deal. Unfortunately finding award space and upgrade space is difficult.

The Regency is much busier. All the new construction on Kaanapali doesn't help (keep in mind I'm thinking back to 30 years ago). However, the suites were recently renovated and rates can be very affordable, making it relatively easy to book a free night or to book with cash and upgrade.

I like the solitude of the Andaz, but I'm willing to put up with the Regency. I actually like children. I find places to hang out that aren't too chaotic, and I do leave the resort for day trips, so it's not always an issue. Finally, the new Hyatt Residence Club next door provides a third option. You can use their pools if you like (there's also a bar and a snack shop), and these are much quieter than the main pools at the Regency.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We go to Maui every year for a month and stay at HR but have ventured over to Andaz a couple of times.
Andaz is much more expensive.......not just the room, but the resort fee and the parking fee add up.
We are always treated very well at HR so that definitely colours our choice but both have their plusses .
Andas has a nice beach. I love having the lounges set up for you for free.
I love their pools.
I love the feeling of 'space' and the fact that even though the hotel might be full, you dont see it. I love their breakfasts. I didnt particularly like the hotels restaurants.

Now that there is the Residence club next door to HR, I LOVE that pool. I love the various restaurants nearby.....eg Honu, Fleetwoods, Seahouse etc etc etc. I also love Japengo (at the hotel) and the food shack at the Residence Club.
I like having the club and I adore the Club staff.
I also prefer the area around West Maui.It is greener and there seems more to do there.

If $ was no object and/or I was using points, I still feel we would go to HR.
If you have ample time in Maui , though, it would be good to have a few days at Andaz.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I read somewhere that if you are staying at Andaz on points, they don't charge you the resort fee. Is that true? Thanks for all the info! I would like to stay at each hotel for 4 nights, but Andaz has a six night minimum when using points!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We used points for one of our stays at Andaz Maui and didnt pay the resort fee.....that was a couple of years ago.
If you are using points completely for your eight nights then I would probably chose the Andaz. It has more bang for your buck.
I am just not a big fan for the various restaurants around there.
Or the drive outside the area.
It just reminds me of a suburb rather than 'Maui'.
But once there, in the resort area, it is lovely.
West Maui is more Hawaiian (to me). ..... once you get out of the resort area, that is
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by adgtravel
I read somewhere that if you are staying at Andaz on points, they don't charge you the resort fee. Is that true? Thanks for all the info! I would like to stay at each hotel for 4 nights, but Andaz has a six night minimum when using points!
No fee on points stay. Book six night min and than call to make it 4. Andaz is AWESOME . Cheers!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.