Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Montevideo in Uruguay REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:04 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge
Original Poster

Hyatt announced today the opening of Hyatt Centric Montevideo, the brand’s first hotel to open outside of North America, and the second Hyatt-branded property in Uruguay. The 178-room hotel is located in the bustling Pocitos neighborhood, a prime destination for guests to explore and discover the heart of Montevideo. Hyatt Centric Montevideo is in close proximity to many of the area’s business and leisure districts, including the World Trade Center, Montevideo Shopping and Ciudad Vieja, as well as La Rambla, the coastal avenue where locals meet daily to exercise, socialize and take in the city’s best sunsets.

Guestrooms

The hotel’s 178 spacious guestrooms, including 14 suites, balance the energy of the city with a calm, inviting respite. The minimal yet upscale features include contemporary furniture, destination-inspired artwork and modern colorful touches. Guestrooms offer impressive views of Rio de la Plata or the serene cityscape, and combine amenities to meet the needs of the millennial-minded traveler, including a luxurious plush bed, 47-inch LED TV (55-inch in suites), mini bar, large walk-in shower (additional bath tub in suites), generous work desk with enhanced lighting, complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, premium bath amenities, JBL Horizon alarm clocks, a salon-grade hairdryer, concierge service, and 24 hour in-room dining.

Executive rooms and suites also have access to special services and amenities such as the rooftop lounge, which offers 180-degree waterfront views, continental breakfast, and evening cocktails, among other services.

Dining and Drinking

Hyatt Centric Montevideo features distinct dining options including breakfast, business lunches, intimate dinners, quick drinks or casual dining experiences designed to inspire food lovers during their journey to explore the best of local flavors.

The hotel’s signature restaurant Plantado features a regionally inspired menu offering locally sourced produce and classic Uruguayan favorites for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Behind the culinary concept and menu is the talented Executive Chef Federico Ferrari, formerly of Palacio Duhau - Park Hyatt Buenos Aires.

When the sun sets over the city, guests can retreat to the hotel’s vibrant Moderno Bar. Eclectic décor and scenic views complement creative signature cocktails, gourmet small plates and a unique selection of acclaimed local wines and artisan beers.

Additional food and beverage amenities include the Deli, a specialty market featuring Uruguayan olive oils and gourmet cheeses, freshly baked goods, local pastries, coffee and teas service, organic juices, to-go foods and other local goods.

Meetings and Events

Hyatt Centric Montevideo’s event facilities total more than 18,700 square feet (1,700 square meters), with each meeting room named after an influential female Uruguayan poet, a tribute to local literature. The fully integrated area features an elegant, multi-purpose ballroom and six sophisticated meeting rooms that provide an extensive range of options for upscale meetings, conferences, social events such as quinceańeras and weddings of all sizes, complete with state-of-the-art audio visual services and dedicated staff to assist in planning and execution.

Wellness and Recreation

Hyatt Centric Montevideo features a 24-hour fitness studio with the latest high-tech cardio and strength training equipment from Life Fitness®, and offers a massage treatment suite to relax and unwind, as well as a heated indoor pool.

Guests that like to take their workout outdoors will have the perfect opportunity to do so along La Rambla, the ideal spot for a walk, jog or to take one of the hotel’s custom-designed vintage bicycles for rides.

Hyatt Centric Montevideo is offering a special opening rate of USD $190 plus taxes for standard guestrooms, including breakfast. For full offer details, including terms and conditions, or to make a reservation, please visit hyattcentricmontevideo.com or call +598 26211234.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:16 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
very cool. nice to see Hyatt's footprint expand to cities where they are not present today :-)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just reserved a night for July. Looking forward to my first centric property and first visit to Uruguay!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Review: Hyatt Centric Montevideo

I just completed a stay in Hyatt Centric Montevideo last night and loved it!

Getting from Buenos Aires to Montevideo:
There are two daily direct ferries by the Buquebus company. We took the later 1600 ferry, arriving around 1820. We paid around 100 USD per person for this 2+hrs journey.

Pre-Check In Communications:
The Hyatt Centric was proactive in their communications. On the last minute, I decided I wanted a shuttle from the port to the hotel, given that the hotel is some ways from the port, and we arrived after dark. Arranging transport last minute was quick and painless, and our driver was there as promised. It was 27 USD (925 UYU) for the 20 min ride from the port to the hotel in Pocitos, and they supplied a Mercedes (the alternative is BMW).

Check In/Check Out:
Not as quick, but still painless. When I arrived, the Director of Operations came out and introduced himself, while the FD did our check in.

Check out was quick, no problems with the bill.

We booked the Pre-Opening rate, which includes breakfast at the lobby restaurant, but the FD encouraged us to eat at the Club Lounge on the 13th floor instead. We had to inquire about the times of service at the lounge for breakfast (printing it on the card like a regular HR would have been helpful).

Although we opted for points, we found a welcome amenity in our room. It consisted of a bottle of Uruguayan red wine, six macaroons, and some fruit. There was also a personalized welcome note from the Director of Operations.

Room:
We booked a regular King room, but were upgraded to a Club King with River View on the 10th floor. It's 49 sq m, and contemporary in design, with three distinct areas.

Sleeping/work area
This area is carpeted, and the King room is in the middle of the room. The decor is very Room & Board, with hanging lamps, and fabric headboards. The bedside tables are generously-sized, and they also have USB chargers by the wall for your electronic devices. The TV faces the bed.

The work desk is a little bit small, has a work lamp (not adjustable), and power plugs. There's also a little booklet with things to do, and room service, on a very hipster clipboard.

Lounging

This area is hardwood, and there's a floor-to-ceiling window featuring view of the river. Part of the view was obscured by a room to the right of the room, so you can peep into the living area of another hotel guest.

There's a nice fabric sofa, table, and an extra fabric armchair. Our welcome amenity was on the table. There's also a cabinet facing the sofa, which contains the fridge (really cold!), an electric kettle, and an Illy coffee machine.

Bathroom
This area is tiled, and in the form of a long rectangle. The bathroom has a rather open concept, but you can close it off with two barn-style doors, one accessed from the bedroom area, and one from the entryway. The toilet/bidet can be closed (but not locked), and there's a walk-in shower with rain shower and wand.

The sink and dresser is pretty long. There's a actually a chair if you want to sit at the dresser, with amenities like cottonwool.

Club Lounge
On the top floor of the hotel (13th), it's decently-sized, and offers a great view of the River.

We only went during hors d'oeuvres and breakfast service, so I'm not sure if it's open throughout the day. Both services are hosted. It's slightly odd that the hosts ask for my room number only after I've taken my food.

The hors d'oeuvres has no hot option, but quite a bit of complimentary alcohol. There are several desserts, one salad option, breads, cheeses, olives, etc.

The breakfast selection is continental. I found the pastry to be on the hard side of things, and I prefer my pastries to be warm and flaky.

Service
Friendly and efficient.

Wifi
Fast

Food and beverage
On the expensive side of things (over 900 UYU for a room service hamburger). We ended up walking a little to a sushi place 6 mins walk from the hotel for our dinner.

Overall
This is a lovely property. I love the design of the hotel, and they obviously did a good job getting it ready - I couldn't tell that it just opened one month ago. I'd return to this property in a heartbeat if I'm in Montevideo again.
Attached Images      

Last edited by solewalker; Jul 13, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Terrace Suite & Executive Suite

Hyatt Centric Montevideo

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Centric Montevideo

Rambla RepĂşblica del PerĂş 1479 Montevideo, UY 11300

Terrace Suite & Executive Suite (17 Photos)

Hyatt Centric Montevideo

My stay was for 4 nights, with 2 separate reservations for a King room. First 3 nights on the “Third Night Free” rate of 147usd/night. Fourth night was on the Pre-Opening rate of 180usd. Called GP to use a DSU, but they were only able to apply it to the first reservation since the rate was different on the fourth night, otherwise I would have used two DSUs. After a quick mail, GM assured me that it would be no problem to stay on the suite the final night.

Check In

At check in GM and Guest Services Manager came to say hello! I was upgraded to the 88 sqm “Terrace Suite” (#1104), the only room in the hotel with a private balcony. Check in was quick and GSM went up with us to show us the room. 

Terrace Suite

The room is nice, with a very open plan. 

Even though this is a suite, I don’t think this room is much of an improvement over a Club room, except for the terrace. Because of it’s layout there is a lot of wasted space, specially at the entrance and bathroom.   

1_IMG_1604.jpg
Room entrance.1_IMG_1610 (1).jpgLiving area. TV is 55". Sofa is very confortable.
2_IMG_1609.jpg
I choose points as Welcome amenity, but water, macaroons and fruit was provided as well.

1_IMG_1605 (1).jpg
The bed on this room is small, Queen size I believe. 

1_IMG_1607.jpg
Bathroom. Shower to the right, toilet to the left.There is no bathtub.

1_IMG_1618.jpg
View of the Terrace. The balcony was huge, but it was cold and windy outside, so we did not use it much. Must be lovely to have in summer.

1_FullSizeRender.jpg
View from the Terrace. Pocitos beach on the right.

IMG_1619 copy.jpg
Their biggest suite “Rio de la Plata” is #1112.

Executive Suite

On the second day I requested to be moved to a suite with separate sleeping and living areas. To my surprise I was further upgraded to a 110 sqm “Executive Suite” (#908). The room is huge and very nicely decorated.  

IMG_1621.jpg
Room entrance and guest's bathroom.

IMG_1624 (1).jpg
Dinning area with small kitchenette. There is no microwave or stove.
IMG_1626 (1).jpg
Living area. Sadly the TV is only 47” on this suite. IMG_1625.jpg
Sofa is super comfortable and huge, almost 3mts in lenght. The tables are the same ones used in PH Sydney.
IMG_1629.jpg
Bedroom is huge. Desk is inside the bedroom. IMG_1628.jpg
Between the bedroom and bathroom there is a dressing area with lots of space for luggage and clothes

1_IMG_1631.jpg
Bathroom. Jacuzzi was pretty great.
IMG_1635 copy.jpg
Room #914 is almost the same layout as this.

Toiletries

Toiletries are from “Under the Canopy”, made in Brazil.
IMG_1633.jpg

Overall

Both rooms decor was fresh, modern and tasteful. However, the bathrooms had a cold “industrial” feeling that I did not like.

At the Club during the evening cocktail is common to see the hotel’s executives chatting with each other and with guests. I was able to meet the Director of Operations and the Chef there.

Room service prices are nonsense, to the point that it’s cheaper to get dinner for two at the hotel’s restaurant than to order a Club Sandwich to your room.

Charges are converted to the local currency, with the official exchange rate for the day. I payed with Hyatt Gift Certificates with no problem.

This is a great property and almost everyone is super friendly and attentive! We’ll be back soon. :)

Terrace Suite & Executive Suite

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Centric Montevideo?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:43 am
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton 25+ Badge

lautaro and solewalker, thank you for sharing your experience at Hyatt Centric Montevideo!

lautaro - what a stunning view of the sea from the Terrace Suite balcony! It is great that you had a chance to try out the Executive Suite as well
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Originally Posted by paul00

lautaro - what a stunning view of the sea from the Terrace Suite balcony! It is great that you had a chance to try out the Executive Suite as well
Thank you paul00! I just read your great review of PH Moscow. I was actually supposed to check-in there yesterday for 5 nights, after a week in PH Vienna. But due to time constrains I had to change all that for HC Montevideo. It was very good though!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I arrived at this hotel two days ago and with in 24 hours of arrival I'm covered in bug bites. At first I though it was something in the room until tonight I could see mosquitos flying around in the bar. Asked for bug repellent, never arrived... turns out they don't have any. Hotel staff is nice, but useless, they act like they just opened last week. The bug bites I have are huge, per the housekeeper who sprayed my room, she told me it's the mosquitoes, they are big and give you a nasty bite.

I have stayed at many hotels located in areas that have a high mosquitoes population and never had this problem, not even camping in the everglades!!! Also, when housekeeping came to spray my room they left my hotel room door wide open, anyone could have walked in and taken my stuff.

It's a beautiful property but the pool area looks like a dungeon, something out of a horror movie.
I am paranoid to sleep here wondering how many more bug bites will I have in the morning. I now understand why the rates is $117 a night, I bet it will fall to $59 a night.

Hotel is beautiful, but Hyatt needs to fly in some professionals to save it.

Last edited by Andaz5; Jan 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent updates? I don't see Club rooms/lounge solewalker mentioned anywhere on the website. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I am staying here for 2 nights in early May...will update once I arrive. Hopefully it turns out ot be a nice place, as I will be going back to Montevideo for an extended stay later in the year.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by rwm818
I am staying here for 2 nights in early May...will update once I arrive. Hopefully it turns out ot be a nice place, as I will be going back to Montevideo for an extended stay later in the year.
Looking forward to your review. I have a stay planned there in December.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Bad Smell

Hotel was very crowded and had one or two conventions going on in their meeting spaces. We were assigned a one bedroom suite on a corner overlooking the ocean. Suite was beautiful and well kept With a Euge beautiful bathroom.We did not have any problems with mosquitoes or bugs bites.
The problem that we encountered was a very strong sewage odor in this room that would come and go, often requiring me to open the window to let the air out.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Looking forward to your review. I have a stay planned there in December.
main thing to report is there is no longer a lounge on the top floor. That facility has apparently gone private, I didn't go up to look.
breakfast is standard, ok but nothing special. No drinks or anything extra offered to a Globalist...I was not upgraded and they did not appear to be full. The room was nice, a corner room with beach view but other than that is was pretty standard.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by rwm818
main thing to report is there is no longer a lounge on the top floor. That facility has apparently gone private, I didn't go up to look.
breakfast is standard, ok but nothing special. No drinks or anything extra offered to a Globalist...I was not upgraded and they did not appear to be full. The room was nice, a corner room with beach view but other than that is was pretty standard.
We just got back from this property, a 3 night stay, and can confirm that the Club Lounge and Club Level no longer exist. I wanted to note this, because the Hyatt website was actually still selling them- we originally booked a Club level upgrade but were informed a few days before arrival that it was an error on the website and didn't exist.

As for our stay, it was great. The location is excellent, in Pocitos, a nice neighborhood.

This property was also a great value. The price was quite modest for the quality of the property. I booked with points (at 8000 per night, a solid value in the Hyatt portfolio). I'm a WoH Discoverist so don't expect much in terms of upgrade, but we did receive a comp upgrade to a higher floor but with city view, and were offered a few cash upgrade options for a river view and bigger room. I typically decline any cash upgrade offers at checkin, but it was a very modest price (approx 60 USD per night) for a significant upgrade to a river view room on the corner, that was really a junior suite. In fact, our room was identical to the Terrace Suite posted above with pictures- we were one floor immediately above the terrace suite (same layout) and could see the terrace just below outside our window. Great view. I will say the room decor was a bit sparse- it felt somewhat empty- but everything was comfortable and turndown service was good.

The property is Right across the street from La Rambla, which is a paved boardwalk of sorts that wraps around essentially the whole city. The "Montevideo" sign is right across from the property with a large beach/skyline backdrop for popular instagram shots. The city has electric scooter companies (Lime and Grin) and we had a great time scootering all down La Rambla.

The fitness room was of good quality, new-ish equipment (the property is relatively new opened 2016). Pool is nice although small and dark, indoors. More of a spa vibe.

The hotel restaurant was above par for hotel restaurant. You pay a premium to eat on property but we found the food very good and service as well. One cool note we appreciated, the property is located at the site of a former mansion, and the floor inside the restaurant is the original flooring with a cool design. A few other neat design notes at the property.

Room service, though, was the one disappointment of the stay. Food was not of good quality and the price was extremely high, as is always the case with room service.

Of the main properties in town my impression was its between this or the Sofitel in Carrasco. We did not enter the Sofitel so cannot compare (i understand it is a much fancier, luxury experience), but the location is so far away from downtown and Ciudad Vieja- the places you want to see and visit- i would much prefer the more central Hyatt location. We passed the Sofitel on our drive from the airport (it is out close to the airport) and i just thoguht to myself, i am glad we did not stay this far out from the city.

Last edited by ndno2; May 30, 2019 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
We had two room for a week on a recent stay and mostly enjoyed the property.

The hotel contacted about a week out to see if we had any requests. We did arrive very late and check in took longer than I would have expected. Room 1109 was fine, with a separate seating area. The bathroom was strangely organized into what amounted to three small rooms. Only two issues with the stay. First, even after requesting we were only given wash cloths the first day and the last. Second, the lighting system is terrible in terms of controlling how many lights are on at once.

the hotel has a lot of neat regional art and seems to be sincere in creating a "boutique" atmosphere.

The bar was good but at times the service very slow. Breakfast was nothing special but the breakfast staff were attentive. We didn't eat lunch or dinner on property. There is no club level as others have confirmed. There is a small coffee shop around the corner from the bar.

The Pocitos area is pretty quiet which is what we wanted. The area is very walkable and there is a mall nearby if you want to shop. For historical sites you will need a car or rely on taxi/Uber. I found Uber to be hit or miss as drivers canceled a lot more often than I ever experienced in any country.

Last edited by Dr_wanderlust; Aug 25, 2019 at 1:12 pm Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.