Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Charleston/Historic District REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium

I spent two nights at the Hyatt House last weekend - needed to be in town for a wedding, and everything was $400+ per night. After repeated checking, I managed to get the Hyatt House for Cash & Points - I needed a 1BR suite, so I booked the base room on C&P and the hotel charged me an extra $50 per night, which I thought was very reasonable, to confirm right into the 1BR suite in advance.

I've stayed in a few Hyatt Houses and I was impressed with the finishes of the suite that we had. It was on a corner with lots of windows and nice living, working, and cooking (tho we didn't use that aspect) areas. The bathroom finishes were also a step above the other Hyatt Houses I've been in. I slept very comfortably and although there was a note warning about construction noise, I didn't hear anything from the outside.

This hotel is on the outer edge of the lively areas in Charleston, but I thought the location was great - there was plenty in walking distance. Additionally, the staff was really friendly, professional, and helpful - everyone was trying to make the stay nice. Breakfast was typical Hyatt House though they have a (relatively) larger space than normal, plus outdoor seating with a fire pit.

This property exceeded my expectations of a Hyatt House and I would definitely return.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 3:33 am
Suspended

So I've been wanting to go to Charleston but the hotels seem to be extremely expensive!! But it seems like doing the Hyatt House for cash & points (6,000 pts + $75) is a no brainer. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: AF Flying Blue, Us Airways, Hilton
We stayed here about three weeks ago and it was delightful. The hotel is brand new, the rooms are nice and the staff is extremely friendly. The only downside is that the hotel is about 2 miles from the center of historic Charleston, which is where you'll want to be for sightseeing, most restaurants, etc. We used Charleston Green Taxi---$7 each way, arrived within minutes.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by markspivak
We stayed here about three weeks ago and it was delightful. The hotel is brand new, the rooms are nice and the staff is extremely friendly. The only downside is that the hotel is about 2 miles from the center of historic Charleston, which is where you'll want to be for sightseeing, most restaurants, etc. We used Charleston Green Taxi---$7 each way, arrived within minutes.
Does Hyatt Place have better location than Hyatt House?
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Does Hyatt Place have better location than Hyatt House?
Slightly. I think it is 25 feet closer to the street exit. Just kidding as these hotels are on the same property!
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ronbo83
Slightly. I think it is 25 feet closer to the street exit. Just kidding as these hotels are on the same property!
Lol
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:47 pm

Is there ANY difference between these two properties? Looking to stay in August and HH is $10 more.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:19 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Has anyone stayed at the HP more recently? I have read there is a free public bus that can take visitors to the heart of downtown. Has anyone used that service? TIA.

LAX
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed at the HH last weekend. Arrived around 330pm and room was not ready, but within 15 min I had the keys. Was given a 1 BR suite with a view of the U-Haul lot. AC was FANTASTIC, and that takes a lot to get that from me. I set it to 66 and it was there within an hour. WiFi was fast, and room in good shape.

Breakfast was the average HH breakfast, though interestingly they break up the two properties breakfast areas. Nothing stopping you from going to the other, and not sure there was actually any difference. There's a serviceable bar in the shared lobby with a friendly bartender but high-ish prices for Charleston. In addition, the bar closes at 11, which seems a bit early.

The joint properties are literally right off King street, so you can easily get a drink or food within a 5 min walk.

Overall, this property was fine for a bed for the night, though I was disappointed they didn't allow pets as my local friend wanted to stay downtown with her dog but couldn't. As for rates, Charleston seems pretty odd. 6 weeks out rooms were $250-$300. I actually booked a Marriott instead where I was able to get a low-ish rate. Then I checked 2 weeks out and a great rate of $133 was available at the HH. Guess YMMV.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:40 am

Completed a 3 night stay last month on AAA cash rate - at a Cat 4 I found a points stay to be a poor value here. Location is great but parking is way overpriced ($36/day) as the parking garage is owned by the city so there is no way to get 'free parking' during the week. Apparently Thurs-Sun they offer a valet which 'may' be free for Globalists on points or doing the current promotion but I couldn't get confirmation on that and we were leaving town anyway. Property is just 'OK" but served it's purpose and being able to walk everywhere was great. Any questions you have about the property let me know!
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by madderlake
Completed a 3 night stay last month on AAA cash rate - at a Cat 4 I found a points stay to be a poor value here. Location is great but parking is way overpriced ($36/day) as the parking garage is owned by the city so there is no way to get 'free parking' during the week. Apparently Thurs-Sun they offer a valet which 'may' be free for Globalists on points or doing the current promotion but I couldn't get confirmation on that and we were leaving town anyway. Property is just 'OK" but served it's purpose and being able to walk everywhere was great. Any questions you have about the property let me know!
Rewards can be good here actually, before the pandemic it wasn't uncommon to see a $350-$400/night weekend rate.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:41 pm

Yeah I can imagine because of the great location! The cash rate during our stay was in the $120/night range (weeknight) so wasn't worth using points for us...
Old May 28, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The exit/entry from Hyatt House/Place in Charleston is only to/from King St. Charleston PD has changed the traffic flow on King St to southbound one lane only from Spring to Mary Streets on Thur-Sun evenings. The other lane has a police car about every block and seems to only be of use to pedicabs. This is a major PITA for entering or leaving the hotel. It took me over 30 minutes to travel one mile to enter the hotel's courtyard this evening. King St has a lot of bars that are very popular with the attendant traffic. The changes were made several months ago to increase police presence in the area due to a couple of hit and runs along with some violent crime (idiots drinking too much and doing idiot things).
These are nice mid-tier properties, but I would thing twice about staying here again because of this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Did one night here on points two weeks ago. Stay was fine. They upgraded us to a room with kitchen and separate bedroom - not necessary but appreciated. Breakfast is your typical meh. We also got 20 bucks coupon for bar/store there. Valet was free since we were on points and it was efficient. Rates for our weekend stay were around 400 bucks which I'd never pay but it was bargain on points. Traffic can be a problem as mentioned above. Make sure that you approach the hotel from the correct side. Late checkout at 2 pm was granted w/o problem. I'd come back if I need to be in Charleston again but we did not quite like the city anyways.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.