Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is diamond worth $1k?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
is diamond worth $1k?

I'm thinking of mattress running it to get diamond for another year with Hyatt.

Context:
1) I became a diamond through a status match a few years ago (lifetime SPG Plat, was abandoning HHonors after a decade of diamond due to devaluation) and have quite enjoyed the properties, particularly Andaz and Hyatt House (for different reason clearly)
2) due to a lapse in travel this year, only picked up 18 stays with Hyatt, so shy of regaining Diamond.
3) Was going to let it drop to platinum, but the sudden (to me) Marriott/SPG announcement made me wonder if i'd end up losing many of the perks in the next couple of years that has made me stay SPG loyal even after getting lifetime status (and even if the lifetime status was going to get retained somehow post merger... all speculative at this point)
4) Therefore thinking that putting my chips in another basket "all in" is possibly worth it, and given i'm almost there with Hyatt it's easiest to earn it there (and I like the brands/properties/locations, which continue to expand)

SO... the question is, is $1k of spend in mattress run worth it to get the last 7 or so stays i need at cheap (avg $129/night) hyatts nearby to cross the threshold?

Thanks for all opinions!

p.s. this is in lieu of my usual christmas gift to myself, if that helps with justifying the spend - even if my family is the one that benefits from the actual hotel points and vacations (i don't normally stay in mattress run hotels - just check in, get stay credit, check out next day).
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It maybe depends on where you stay. If mostly Hyatt Place or domestic HR, probably not. If higher end properties, particularly international, then I think it's absolutely worth it. Extra value if you intend to burn points for award stays during the next program year - difference between one of the property's worst rooms and best available at check-in.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
It won't really cost you $1k net if you can find low weekend rates at the HR Santa Clara and benefit from the +2500 pts. per weekend stay when the lounge is closed. And you can pay with gift cards that you bought at a discount.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kevino
It won't really cost you $1k net if you can find low weekend rates at the HR Santa Clara and benefit from the +2500 pts. per weekend stay when the lounge is closed. And you can pay with gift cards that you bought at a discount.
^ That's a great MR plan.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's way too expensive for 7 nights. Can be done for $400-$450.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That's way too expensive for 7 nights. Can be done for $400-$450.
Not sure you can do $400-$450 in San Francisco area.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:47 am

according to Hyatt, diamond is now worth nothing. if you've ever stayed in a hotel and have a credit card that grants auto gold... voila, diamond.

no challenge.
no stays.
nothing.

so... don't waste your money staying in hotels when you can get it for free sitting on your couch.

good luck to all trying to use DSU and get upgrades the next 14 months.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
OP, can you take some time off from work? I've got a couple of strategies that may work out well for you.

First, not requiring any time off of work is to look for Cat 1 Hyatts near you. The cost for Points+Cash is 2500Pts + $50.
There's a Hyatt House and a Hyatt Place in Sacramento that are both Cat 1. You could book one for Friday/Sunday night and the other for Saturday night. Gets you 3 stays/weekend.

The second idea, more interesting, is MLife properties in Vegas. Very cheap rates between now and New Years. Pick a week that you'd like to hotel hop.
Steps:
1) Status match with Mlife
2) Book cheap flight to Vegas Make sure you've checked on hotel prices before buying airfare
3) Book nights on Mlife.com Sun-Thurs tend to be the cheapest. Need to hotel hop for maximum stay credit.

Let me give you an example:
13-14 Dec Excalibur $21.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
14-15 Dec Luxor $30.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
15-16 Dec Excalibur $21.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
16-17 Dec Luxor $30.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
17-18 Dec Excalibur $21.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
18-19 Dec Luxor $44.25 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
19-20 Dec Excalibur $36.00 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
Excalibur and Luxor are connected so you can walk between the two properties without going outside.

You can book at other Vegas MLife properties for slightly more, but rooms are pretty cheap Thanksgiving to Christmas. At least you make a vacation out of getting Diamond.

Save all MLife hotel receipts; posting is a bit spotty. They eventually get it right, but it can take a month after you contact MLife asking for missing stay credits.

Originally Posted by karung99
Not sure you can do $400-$450 in San Francisco area.
I haven't looked at the cash rate, but he can do 7 nights out of Sacramento for 17.5K points +$350

Last edited by iflyjetz; Nov 22, 2015 at 8:59 am
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Let me give you an example:
13-14 Dec Excalibur $21.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
14-15 Dec Luxor $30.75 + tax + $29.12 resort fee(includes tax)
Not bad at all. For context, I frequently find Friday night rates here in ATL area Hyatt Place for $58 + taxes = $71.70. When paid with a Hyatt GC at 10% off average, I end up paying $64.53 and getting 750 points for diamond bonus, since Hyatt Place almost never actually posts the bonus. I know there are better deals, and convenience certainly has to factor in.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am in a pretty similar situation as OP and one reason I will be 5 short is that splitting my nights between Hilton and Hyatt has ended up being tilted with more than necessary for Diamond at Hilton and a shortfall at Hyatt due specifically to the limited footprint of Hyatt. Luckily I can very easily take two trips up to the DC/Dulles area to see friends and take care of that during the off season rate wise so its not a big deal, but I hope its not a recurring issue (and it does irk me that award stays do not count). I will note that based on my experience, it seems that it would be difficult to solely rely on HGP for your travels unless you happened to have only travel to those locations where there are Hyatt clusters.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Lots of good reasons to keep diamond... As mentioned, it should be possible to beat $1k for 7 stays.

In 2016, say you manage 15 stays - that's 15000 points of diamond amenity, worth $200-250 there. At say $200 a stay, the extra 15% Diamonds get above Plat is also an extra 5,000 points earned - call that $75 of value. So, nearly $300 of value just from a few stays in 2016...

DSUs, room upgrades, free breakfast, etc. are the fun stuff on top. All depends on how you use them. Considering in 2015 I've stayed in suites retailing for $1000-1500 per night on Point + Cash booking, it's a no brainer for me, but only if you use the DSUs well...

P.S. If only Hyatt did elite nights rollover. I'd already have Diamond for 2017!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
It varies from year to year but Christmas week and to a much lesser extent Thanksgiving week can be an economical way to top off renewal. Not saying you won't have to drive somewhere.

Last edited by jayer; Nov 22, 2015 at 8:48 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Thanks!

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I didn't realize cash & points counts towards stays. Will have to do that. As for value - I normally stay at higher end hyatts when on work travel so the upgrades etc are definitely worth the benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.