Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Amsterdam vs Liverpool (London) - ( for usage of DSU )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:36 am
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott

I have 1 diamond suite upgrade left and I am trying to decide which property to use it at. I am traveling with my wife and 2 very young kids. Any thoughts on which hotel (Amsterdam or Liverpool) that you would use the suite upgrade on and why?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dad to GO; Nov 9, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I'd pick Amsterdam - much better location, wonderful hotel, close to
food, museums, the canal district, etc. The liverpool Andaz seemed
more of a business district in comparison not as much "vacation."
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The entry level suites in the Amsterdam Andaz are quite small. But then, the entry level suites in the London Andaz can turn out to be a large single room, not a suite at all. So there are advantages and disadvantages with both.

I'd pick based on where you'd rather have a suite, not based on the hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Any thoughts on which hotel (Amsterdam or Liverpool) that you would use the suite upgrade on and why?

Thanks!
Very confusing title. There is no Andaz hotel in Liverpool. I assume the OP is referring to the hotel in London located at Liverpool Street station.

YMMV but Andaz hotels may not necessarily be the best use of a DSU. At the Andaz in Shanghai the deluxe room I was upgraded to was actually larger than the "suite".

The Andaz in London is particularly known for YMMV between tiny closet-sized rooms and quite nice ones. Using a DSU would at least guarantee you wouldn't get a closet, although the 49 sq.m size probably doesn't fit a family of four...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I have 1 diamond suite upgrade left and I am trying to decide which property to use it at. I am traveling with my wife and 2 very young kids. Any thoughts on which hotel (Amsterdam or Liverpool) that you would use the suite upgrade on and why?

Thanks!
Agree that both Andaz are not ideal for families. Regardless, I would contact general manager ahead of time to clear for 4 in a suite.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:21 pm

I've only stayed in a suite at Andaz Liverpool St. Had a couple of different suites. Type 1 (which I prefer) is single large room divided by a tall entertainment console where there is a decent sized sitting area (sofa, armchair, coffee table) to relax, host guests etc. The kids could probably sleep there (not sure if the sofa is a sofa bed or not). We actually had an attached twin room on the two occasions for our kids which was a great setup. Type 2 was 2 rooms a bedroom and small sitting area - the sitting area was fairly small and as I recall I don't think there was a sofa in there a desk with 2 armchairs but I might be mistaken. I didn't like this setup. Area around Liverpool St. actually is pretty decent for family, Spitalfields market is very close, has plenty of food places, shops etc, Tower of London is walking distance and of course the tube is next door so easy to get around town to the other sights. We stayed there with our teenage kids for a few days around New Year and had a great time, I personally like the Andaz setup a bit more of a modern vibe type of thing.

Now having said that if you are considering London the Churchill Suites I've stayed in are very good and IMO significantly better than Andaz. Decent sized two separate rooms with sofa bed and 2nd bathroom for guests/kids. On one occasion was on the 9th floor with a balcony overlooking the square and on another occasion got a corner suite which on 4th floor which was huge. Not sure what availability is like with the construction after the explosion but location is likely better for the tourist attractions.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:47 pm
Used to be garyjr316
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Agree that both Andaz are not ideal for families. Regardless, I would contact general manager ahead of time to clear for 4 in a suite.
I guess I should clarify that one child will be barely 3 and the other only 8 months old so we will have a crib. I'll notify the hotel though before hand. I am thinking that for now we will use it in Amsterdam as in London I can use my club carlson points for the Plaza on the River which will be a very big standard room.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:40 am

I guess I should clarify that one child will be barely 3 and the other only 8 months old so we will have a crib. I'll notify the hotel though before hand.
In some of the Andaz Liverpool Street rooms-sold-as-suites (at least, the DSU "suites"), you'd struggle to find space for both a rollaway bed and a crib in the sitting area, unless you start removing/rearranging the rest of the furniture. I'm fairly sure I inspected the sofa and found it wasn't a sofa bed, but YMMV.

Also note that you'd be asking the hotel to break their maximum occupancy (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-per-room.html ), although in my experience they're likely to try and help.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess I should clarify that one child will be barely 3 and the other only 8 months old so we will have a crib. I'll notify the hotel though before hand. I am thinking that for now we will use it in Amsterdam as in London I can use my club carlson points for the Plaza on the River which will be a very big standard room.
Contact the Andaz Amsterdam.... but 2 adults and 2 children might be above max occupancy, even for a suite. I find the standard suite there to be very decent, and with 55-57 m2 not anywhere near small. But the bathroom does take up some space....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.