Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Hyatt Gift Card fraud

I rec'vd a $300- Hyatt Gift Card for a Xmas present from my mother who purchased off Ebay. Today when I checked the balance it was $0-. I have the gift card in my possession. According to Customer Service it was used 2x in December. Guest Relations called me back and was of no help. They said it was a Ebay problem. I asked how could it be when someone used it twice last month when I have the card. They were quick to usher me off the phone. Anyone have any suggestions? Any and all would help. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Welcome to Flyertalk!

If I'm reading you right, on this one your beef is with eBay. It's true that something is messed up at Hyatt with giftcards (and a lot of other IT stuff), but, from their standpoint, someone on eBay sold you a card that was already drained. I mean, who had the card before it was purchased for you? Who knows, right? Maybe eBay? Based on my experience (above) with Raise.com, it is Hyatt's fault. But the re-seller is the one who is responsible to you for the card you got. Push on them.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:19 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by Keith1620
I rec'vd a $300- Hyatt Gift Card for a Xmas present from my mother who purchased off Ebay. Today when I checked the balance it was $0-. I have the gift card in my possession. According to Customer Service it was used 2x in December. Guest Relations called me back and was of no help. They said it was a Ebay problem. I asked how could it be when someone used it twice last month when I have the card. They were quick to usher me off the phone. Anyone have any suggestions? Any and all would help. Thanks in advance!
Had a similar problem with an ebay purchased Hyatt GC. Card was fine for about a month but was drained shortly after. I had never used it. Hyatt was no help. Ultimately, I initiated a claim via PayPal after the seller refused to help. I successfully recovered this from the seller through the PayPal dispute.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Keith1620
I rec'vd a $300- Hyatt Gift Card for a Xmas present from my mother who purchased off Ebay.
Originally Posted by GB
Had a similar problem with an ebay purchased Hyatt GC.
Just curious who the seller for the Hyatt gift card was. Was it the usual SVM gift card? Or another seller? This way, we can avoid the seller.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I haven't check the 2 cards I purchased from SVM and am now concerned if Hyatt isn't owning up to the cards being drained.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, AA Platinum
All this talk about the EBay Gift Cards from SVM has made me curious. I purchase a GC from SVM I think in October or November. I believe the special they were offering was $200GC for $175. I just checked the balance and it is all there. I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NewAgeTraveler
All this talk about the EBay Gift Cards from SVM has made me curious. I purchase a GC from SVM I think in October or November. I believe the special they were offering was $200GC for $175. I just checked the balance and it is all there. I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones.
No one has verified that this issue was from SVM. I have never had an issue with them either and I've been done SVM multiple times since April/May last year.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:27 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by NewAgeTraveler
The issue I had was not from SVM.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:30 am

I bought $300 worth of Hyatt gift cards from Amazon last December. I went to use them at Park Hyatt New York and they said they couldn't take them! They told me they could only use gift cards that have Hyatt brand logos on the back (I think these say SVM).

Has anyone else had this issuse? These were purchased from Amazon so I assumed they were legitimate.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by NathanL104
I bought $300 worth of Hyatt gift cards from Amazon last December. I went to use them at Park Hyatt New York and they said they couldn't take them! They told me they could only use gift cards that have Hyatt brand logos on the back (I think these say SVM).

Has anyone else had this issuse? These were purchased from Amazon so I assumed they were legitimate.
Were they physical cards? I bought a few from Amazon as well Q4 2015 because of 10x UR points. They all say Hyatt in the front. However, they don't look like the picture on the purchase page at amazon. They are silver with Hyatt written in the center inside a rectangular border.

Anyway, I've used these several times without issues.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by shakim
Were they physical cards? I bought a few from Amazon as well Q4 2015 because of 10x UR points. They all say Hyatt in the front. However, they don't look like the picture on the purchase page at amazon. They are silver with Hyatt written in the center inside a rectangular border.

Anyway, I've used these several times without issues.
Yes, it was these silver cards that say Hyatt on the front. Would there be a problem using them at Park Hyatts? I used another type of card that went through just fine, but these were flagged as being suspicious. I guess I'll keep them and see if I can use them at another property.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by NathanL104
Yes, it was these silver cards that say Hyatt on the front. Would there be a problem using them at Park Hyatts? I used another type of card that went through just fine, but these were flagged as being suspicious. I guess I'll keep them and see if I can use them at another property.
How can they think they're suspicious if they have a balance issued by Hyatt on them? It makes no sense, really. Perhaps it would've helped to call Gold Passport at checkout desk and let them verify to the staff that it was a legit gift card. That's what I'd have done, I think, because I've never had an issue using these anywhere. And I use gift cards exclusively for stays in US, Canada and Caribbean.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Hyatt sent brand new cards as replacements ^^ - everything was handled exceptionally well
Apparently the headache wasnt over. One of the replacement cards was partially drained back in november in Atlanta as we discovered trying to use it last weekend.
(The other two we used in jan - no prob).
More calling to sort it out...
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:28 pm

No one has had any issues with physical gift cards, right? Including checking the balance and then redeeming later?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by andy1585
No one has had any issues with physical gift cards, right? Including checking the balance and then redeeming later?
Correct. I checked all the balances when I received them and had no problem with redemption.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.