Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HOLY MOLY!!! Hyatt in talks to buy SPG (SPECULATION - Marriott buying SPG)

HOLY MOLY!!! Hyatt in talks to buy SPG (SPECULATION - Marriott buying SPG)

Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends. The Westin Chosun is a great location, much better than PH or GH. I also like the Westin Tokyo, but some might not prefer its style. Both have good lounges. In other parts of Asia, such as China generally and Singapore, Starwood offers more choices.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:53 am

Yeah, I find Hyatt to have a higher standard overall, with differences at the extremes. Overall, I love the idea of properties in practically very major European city and so on, but as I said, I wince at the inevitable changes. I don't want SPG policies and loyalty benefits. I like HGP just like it is.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... now the real whining can begin on how SPG's program is better than Hyatt Diamond. (and vice versa).
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Still choking on my morning coffee after I recover I will likely comment
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
According to this site, by revenue, IHG is in the lead by a fair amount, with Marriott and Hilton distant 2nd and 3rd. Starwood, Accor, Wyndham, and Hyatt make up the next tier, at about half of Hilton's revenue. Combining *wood and Hyatt would put them at a combined 10.4B USD in 2014, just beind Hilton's 10.5B USD.

They'd pretty much be right around #3 or 4 globally by revenue. I think they'd be around 5 or 6 for rooms and properties, though.
As MSPeconomist stated, Hyatt/SPG would be #3 of the 3 mentioned. What do Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt and SPG have in common? Very similar loyalty programs.
Multiple tiers
Lounge access
Breakfast benefit
Suite upgrades (OK, Marriott falls on its face here domestically)

All the rest - IHG, Wyndham, Accor, Club Carlson, etc - have terrible loyalty programs in terms of perks.

Think of this as very similar to the airline mergers. You're left with American, Delta and United. All 3 have very similar loyalty programs. You can toss in Southwest but their loyalty program sucks as far as perks (woohoo free drink coupons!) and is no way competitive with the other 3 airlines.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends. The Westin Chosun is a great location, much better than PH or GH. I also like the Westin Tokyo, but some might not prefer its style. Both have good lounges. In other parts of Asia, such as China generally and Singapore, Starwood offers more choices.
Great for tourists but bad for a semi-local who drives. Myeongdong and City Hall is one of the worst places for a car. PH and GH can be accessed pretty easily and quickly off the highways.

Would be an interesting alliance in this city to say the least...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
So I guess this is why no new promo has been announced....
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by austin_modern
... now the real whining can begin on how SPG's program is better than Hyatt Diamond. (and vice versa).
While there are some things that are better in SPG's program, Hyatt is the clear winner for me.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Still choking on my morning coffee after I recover I will likely comment
On the bright side (? ), if this happens, you'll have one less lifetime status card you'll have to carry around.

It will be interesting in Las Vegas. Hyatt's partnered with MGM Properties, Starwood's partnered with Caesars Entertainment. I don't see the combined company partnering with both of them.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:33 am

I have an award reservation in March 2016 at Al Maha, a property of the Starwood Luxury Collection. If this deal occurs, what will be the implications?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I have an award reservation in March 2016 at Al Maha, a property of the Starwood Luxury Collection. If this deal occurs, what will be the implications?
Absolutely nothing. A deal this size usually take around a year to close.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fingers crossed it's just speculation. Hyatt is half the market cap of Starwood so not the most obvious buyer.

Both HGP and SPG are better loyalty programmes because they have to make up for lack of size with better service. Merge the two and we might get a mess and a big dilution of benefits. SPG hotels often don't follow the rules from corporate whereas there are only a handful of Hyatts that don't deliver.

I'd rather lament the loss of SPG than have Hyatt Diamond diluted...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by TerryK
Absolutely nothing. A deal this size usually take around a year to close.
and then another year or more to get the systems working well together.... hell, Hyatt cant even get their own website working - no clue how they would include SPG in it.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

and then another year or more to get the systems working well together.... hell, Hyatt cant even get their own website working - no clue how they would include SPG in it.
SPG might be able to give them a hand
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Both programs have their advantages.

But if the theory is that smaller chains have to offer better benefits, since it's harder for a customer to stay loyal, then a merger would perhaps allow benefits on both sides to be diminished as they are combined.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Fingers crossed it's just speculation. Hyatt is half the market cap of Starwood so not the most obvious buyer.
1) Rumors are that this is a cash + stock deal.
2) Borrowing money is dirt cheap right now, and Hyatt wouldn't have any problem borrowing a ton of money.
3) Hyatt can sell off properties currently owned by Hyatt and/or Starwood to raise additional money.

Originally Posted by Aventine
SPG might be able to give them a hand
ROTFLMAO! I assume you are referring to SPG IT helping Hyatt IT make the combined company's website totally unusable. That's a weak spot with both programs.

Originally Posted by swag
But if the theory is that smaller chains have to offer better benefits, since it's harder for a customer to stay loyal, then a merger would perhaps allow benefits on both sides to be diminished as they are combined.
Your (IMHO correct) analysis makes me very sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.