Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hyatt in LA without a car

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Best Hyatt in LA without a car

My family and I will be spending a couple days in LA before flying overseas in December. Since we aren't planning to rent a car, I am wondering if there is a particular Hyatt that would be best for our situation.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsnearline
My family and I will be spending a couple days in LA before flying overseas in December. Since we aren't planning to rent a car, I am wondering if there is a particular Hyatt that would be best for our situation.
Probably depends on what you plan to do while in LA.

If just looking for somewhere to relax for a couple of days, Hyatt Century Plaza is one good option. It's right next to a Westfield, with its shops, restaurants, and AMC Cinema to keep you occupied. Despite the shocking excuse for a Regency Club, this is my "go to" property while in LA for any longer than an overnight transit.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I really can't imagine spending a couple of days in Los Angeles without a car. Maybe in Westwood, Santa Monica, or one of the beach towns (Venice, Manhattan, Redondo). But not in Century City or West Hollywood. I would feel completely trapped.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If you're willing to use Uber all around town (rates for UberX in LA are dirt cheap now), the the world is your oyster. In that case, it definitely depends on what you want to do. In general, the Century Plaza will be the most central location; the HH LAX/El Segundo is decent and near-ish to the airport shuttle service; you can easily take Uber to Hermosa/Manhattan/Redondo Beaches from there.

The Concourse by Hyatt next to LAX is still getting renovated.

But honestly... I would take another look at renting a car.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Last couple times I was in LA, I stayed at the Universal City Hilton. It's close to Universal Studios and CityWalk and has access via Universal Studios tram, to the subway to Hollywood & Highland.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, a decent location for a couple days where I don't feel trapped with the kids. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any of the Hyatt properties in LA have this type of location. The Hyatt regency orange county has good proximity to Disneyland, but that's a bit far from where I want to be.

We were thinking about renting a car, but we don't want to have to bring child booster seats along because they aren't needed over in Asia where we are going.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We were thinking about renting a car, but we don't want to have to bring child booster seats along because they aren't needed over in Asia where we are going.
How were you going to get from the airport to your selected hotel without booster seats?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Booster seats aren't usually required for taxis and airport shuttles
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:26 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'd probably choose Andaz West Hollywood. Since the hotel charges $38 a day for parking, you can actually save a nice heap of money by using Uber instead of driving.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Booster seats aren't usually required for taxis and airport shuttles
Ignoring the safety aspects, California law doesn't exempt taxis and shuttles from having one for anyone under 8, only public transit.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can walk to stuff in West Hollywood from the Andaz. It's a pretty reasonable taxi fare from LAX. However, I don't think of it as kid friendly.

Does the OP have status with HGP? That could make a difference. The information listed under the OP's username lists HGP as a program, but doesn't indicate a status tier.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:51 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
As odd as it might sound, I'd say The Concourse Hotel. Using uber, you have Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, and Marina del Rey. You have the 405 and Sepulveda to work with. You can do some plane spotting too, if that's your thing.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gemini573
As odd as it might sound, I'd say The Concourse Hotel. Using uber, you have Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, and Marina del Rey. You have the 405 and Sepulveda to work with. You can do some plane spotting too, if that's your thing.
But Uber won't work in OP's situation without the booster seats (in theory anyway).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Huntington Beach, self contined, walk to pier and of course on the beach.
Valencia, across from huge mall and restaurants
Century City - again mall access and easy public transportation to Santa Monica
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

i've already got the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach booked for our return three night stop over since we will be flying out of SNA on our way back to Denver. My original plan was to just overnight near LAX on the outbound, but UA and CX both recommended some extra buffer because we are flying out right at Thanksgiving.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by gemini573
I don't believe Uber X works at the Concourse, at least not until Uber is legal at LAX. I think the nearest hotel you'd need to go for Uber service is Westin or the Renaissance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.