Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Chicago/Downtown/The Loop REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold

I recently found myself making a last-minute trip to the city on the weekend of the 4th. My standby properties were either unavailable on points or unusually expensive (the Deadheads brought their balloons to town for the weekend).

As a result, I looked at other options, including the recently opened HP Loop property, available at an attractive 12K points/nights. I typically don't do much in the Loop in my visits to the city, but, at a reasonable redemption rate, I figured that the HP Loop would be worth a shot.

I ended up pleasantly surprised by all facets of the property.

Staff, check in process, and diamond recognition
As the property is new, I expected there to be issues with check in efficiency and diamond recognition; fortunately, I experienced neither.

The front desk clerk quickly processed my check in and cheerfully accommodated my request to be upgraded to a View king room (reservations booked with points are for non-view rooms, whereas the View rooms, featuring ceiling to floor windows and views overlooking Franklin, are considered premium rooms.)

I was very pleased with the professionalism and friendliness of all staff in the property. As Hyatt corporate HQ is next door, I imagine that some influence rubs on on the staff, although that proximity doesn't seem to influence at least one other Hyatt "parked" nearby...

Public areas
I understand that the property is a rebuild of an old postal building. From the outside, it seems to be a graft of a new wing onto the existing building. The lobby is nicely illuminated and appointed, decent in size and flanked by ample bar/dining areas. (I did not eat breakfast there, so cannot speak to the state of dining on property.)

There are three elevators servicing the hotel's 14 floors. I did not experience any significant waits, even with the property at an apparently high occupancy. (The clientele seemed to be Deadheads, college-age kids, and a smattering of families.) There also is an exercise room and indoor pool, neither of which I had a chance to visit.

Room
I was impressed by the decor, spaciousness, and view of the room; I especially liked the ceiling to floor windows, one of which could be opened slightly (similar to the Park Hyatt Michigan Ave. property.) Unlike rooms in the HP properties opened in Manhattan, those here were comfortably large and similar to what most of us are used to in non-urban HP locations. The bed was not overly firm and the closet was reasonably sized, along with a good number of outlets throughout the room and near the bed.

Conclusion
The property is a very credible addition to the collection of Hyatts in Chicago. If I have reason to spend time in the Loop and want to redeem points, staying here is a no-brainer, especially at 12k points/night. Even when not redeeming points, the property has enough good points that make it a serious contender for any stays.

Some photos I took:

Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Rooms looks comfortable enough but not a fan of the wardrobe closet.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this HP creating separate room categories for high and low floors, with only the low floor inventory available for standard points and free nights?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this HP creating separate room categories for high and low floors, with only the low floor inventory available for standard points and free nights?
From what I gathered, the distinction in this property is that rooms in the "new" wing have ceiling to floor windows and thus are given the "view" category, regardless of height of floor.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:55 pm

Wrapped up a stay here this week a couple thoughts;
- They seem very well staffed, everyone is friendly and there are always 3-4 folks behind the front desk, during breakfast there are folks activelly bussing tables, etc
- The facility is definitely "new" and clean, but on my floor housekeeping seem to like keeping their cart and glass holders in the elevator foyer all-day-long.
- The rooms are definitely big, even though there's limited closet space there's plenty of room to spread out even with the pull-out couch opened.
- I got put on the top floor 17, facing south. Not much of a view, but some rooms seem to face right into the PWC offices directly south, so close those window shades.
- Speaking of window shades there are two sets of roll-up shades, a black-out and a mesh, that run the full height of the room (floor to celing), they seem to have been installed incorrectly in my room as the back-out shades were "inside" the room and light would pour in through the gap along the sides.
- Also to note about the shades, they are loud when opening or closing as the ball-bearing-chain used to open/close seems to loudly rub against the gearing...loud enough that you can usually hear your neighbors opening/closing their shades.
- Probably contribuing to this, in my room there was a small gap where the windows met the wall - big enough for light and sound to leak through. So although the walls themselves are well insulated, you can still hear your neighbors
- For some reason the HVAC in my room and my neighbors room would make a loud bang when turning on/off. facilities was called but they said it was normal.
- The bathroom instead of a tub features a double wide shower, and has a nice little shelf for the shower mat. But its bright, and unlike the Centric you can turn off the mirror light.
- Its a very basic TV system, they don't seem to be using Lodgenet or any other hospitality TV system so no VOD or ability to check-out/check folio/etc. Also there's no "Plug Panel" to connect your devices, but the TV's jacks are easily accessible and there's not a lock-out.
- Breakfast is standard HP fare, but they were turning over food quite quickly.
- This week for being a month old property was pretty much sold-out with largely leisure travelers it seems. Lots of families.

I'm surprised room rates seem consistently higher than the Centric, but for point redemption this is propbably the way to go for staying in Chicago's core.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:49 am

I had a good one night stay here last week. Had the same room as pictured above as a diamond on a C+P stay. I may have misjudged the layout of the hotel but there may only be three rooms that have views per floor, everything else looks into an office building I think).

I liked the room (spacious and quiet) and the bathroom fine and the shower stall was good (if a tad small). Breakfast was better than an average HP (IMO). Location (1.5 blocks from loop el, close to Union Station and Olgivie) was great.

Pricing here was odd while I was looking. Prices were equal to (or a bit higher than) the Regency, Mag Mile or Centric, but Cash and Points was a bargain IMO. I'll add this place to my list of solid Chicago options.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Appreciate the comments had not really thought of this property for a single evening stay until I read this thread. How bad of a walk is this from Union Station with a roller bag?
Old May 24, 2016, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
How bad of a walk is this from Union Station with a roller bag?
From the Adams street exit its an easy 4-5 block walk. Should be as easy as they get except at 5pm on a weekday (but its still totally doable then also).
Old May 25, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by BobR
From the Adams street exit its an easy 4-5 block walk. Should be as easy as they get except at 5pm on a weekday (but its still totally doable then also).

Thanks, much appreciated. ^ As previously pointed out, the Cash & Points rate for this hotel is quite attractive so I am going to test this hotel out during my Fourth of July trip out prior to heading to the Wit and then London House (this trip I decided to try out three new hotels down in that area since I usually stay Gold Coast/Mag Mile).

Last edited by Miesque; May 25, 2016 at 5:31 am
Old May 25, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Thanks, much appreciated. ^ As previously pointed out, the Cash & Points rate for this hotel is quite attractive so I am going to test this hotel out during my Fourth of July trip out prior to heading to the Wit and then London House (this trip I decided to try out three new hotels down in that area since I usually stay Gold Coast/Mag Mile).
As a Diamond, I'd much rather stay at McCormick Place for the same rate - 1,000 point amenity, a much better breakfast, and a chance at a room upgrade.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't like the McCormick Place location unless I were part of a group event there.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
As a Diamond, I'd much rather stay at McCormick Place for the same rate - 1,000 point amenity, a much better breakfast, and a chance at a room upgrade.

I feel like somewhat of a wuss stating this, but I don't feel comfortable with that location as a single female traveling by myself given the state of Chicago today.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Appreciate the comments had not really thought of this property for a single evening stay until I read this thread. How bad of a walk is this from Union Station with a roller bag?
Originally Posted by BobR
So then this is a good Hyatt hotel to choose if we are visiting the city for the first time and taking the Amtrak to our next location??
Is this close to touristy things?
Old May 13, 2023, 3:00 pm

Programs: A few
Is there really no update on this hotel since 2016?

I am looking at a stay here in June and there are no other options due to Taylor Swift concert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.