Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is it worth daily check in/out for points as diamond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015

Do any diamonds check in and out of different Hyatts to gain 1,000 points per stay? Considering it...it's a hassle, but wanted to know your opinions. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
From my perspective the reason for changing hotels midstay has more to do with them being separate stays (aka to maintain status) rather than getting another thousand points (the points are just a bonus).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:36 pm
-DSH-

Programs: BDDC Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, EK Plat
Does this even work? T&C for promotions always state that a stay is defined as a number of subsequent nights - whether you check out or not. I can't imagine this working? That being said, I'd be interested to know, too.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:45 pm

It wont. The hotel will simply count it as a single stay. The only way you'd be able to pull this off is to stay at two different hotels and alternate between them each day, though whether it's worth doing so is up to you.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:38 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nappington
The only way you'd be able to pull this off is to stay at two different hotels and alternate between them each day ...
OP clearly stated different Hyatts.

Originally Posted by igoncrazy
Do any diamonds check in and out of different Hyatts to gain 1,000 points per stay? Considering it...it's a hassle, but wanted to know your opinions. Thanks!
In most cases it's not worth the hassle. Depending on how you value points, you'd gain $15 to $20, but it would cost you the daily hassle of packing up everything, checking .out, carting everything to a nearby hotel, checking in, unpacking, etc. It's just too much work for too little benefit

Originally Posted by Miesque
From my perspective the reason for changing hotels midstay has more to do with them being separate stays (aka to maintain status) rather than getting another thousand points (the points are just a bonus).
Yes, when trying to qualify for the year, it's often easier to get 25 stays instead of 50 nights.

Occasionally, a promotion is based on stays rather than nights. In that case, combining the two stay credits (the regular 1000 Diamond bonus plus the extra credit due to a special promotion) can make the Daily Hyatt Hop worthwhile. Not too long ago, one particular hotel awarded 2000 bonus points per stay. That special promotion made it worthwhile to do the Hyatt Hop between two nearby hotels. Clearly, the world needs more special bonus-points-per-stay promotions.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:43 pm

Whoops! Obviously I read DSH's post and automatically jumped to conclusions
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I did it once within Tokyo when GH Tokyo messed up but did not do it to get an extra 1000 points. Packing, unpacking and taxi fare isn't worth the hassle. Looking for a home away from home and not the 1000 pts.

Last edited by Aventine; Jul 11, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
It could be a hassle if you're one to unpack everything when you get into a hotel room. Depends on the distance of the two hotels as well. If it's something like the Olive 8 and GH Seattle then I'd do it for the two stay credits.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:31 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I did it for three months, shuttling between the HP and the HR, Minneapolis. HR was running a special where certain stays get 2000 points. On HR day, I'd get 1000 bonus points Diamond Welcome Bonus plus 2000 points "Volume Promotion". On HP day I'd only get 500 bonus points (but they often forgot to post it, so it ended up 750 points). On one very memorable occasion, I received the Closed Lounge bonus (2500 points) plus the 1000 Diamond Welcome Bonus plus the 2000 extra volume bonus plus the 5-points-per-dollar regular points plus the 30% Diamond bonus points plus the 3 points per dollar on the Hyatt card. I think it was my biggest one-day haul ever.

Both hotels are on the skywalk system, about 10 blocks apart. I worked right slap-dab in the middle, between the two hotels. I had to walk those same steps anyway. The only extra effort came from hauling a suitcase. I travel light. So, by lugging a small suitcase to and from the office, I got a trainload of stay credits and a trainload of bonus points.

I'd gladly do it again, but only if they still had the 2000 points-per-stay extra spiff. That's what made it ultimately worthwhile.

It's also nice to re-qualify for the year within just a month's time. My spouse traveled with me about half the time ; she also qualified (quick elite trial) and re-qualified for the year (25 stays) during the same stint. Yep, there are occasions when The Daily Hyatt Hop can be very worthwhile. The extra promotion (from the HR sales department) made it worth doing. Those promotions are rare. I hope you're able to find such a situation, and I hope I can find another one again in the future.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Jul 12, 2015 at 1:37 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've been doing it for the last month, at the same property, with one day between checkins. Mostly it's for requalfying for diamond, but I certainly won't turn down the extra 1000 points.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:38 am

Where do you go between stays?
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've been doing it for the last month, at the same property, with one day between checkins. Mostly it's for requalfying for diamond, but I certainly won't turn down the extra 1000 points.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Where do you go between stays?
Home.

I get enough benefits, such as lounge and full breakfast, that it makes it interesting. With the Hyatt promo going on now, I'll get more points than the stay costs ($50), and requalify for diamond.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:54 am

I've often wondered about a couple of different ways to maximize the benefits of an extended stay at the same property.

1) What if you book a series of one-night stays? The first night you're a Diamond member and you get all the Diamond benefits, etc. In the morning, you check out. Then you check right back in for the second night, which you booked on Priceline and you don't get any points at all and the reservation doesn't even have (or need) an HGP number. Rinse and repeat. Would the third night qualify for a new Stay Credit?

2) What if a husband and wife were both Diamond? They book a series of alternating one-night stays. The first night, it's his reservation and his stay. He has an unnamed guest in his room. He stays the night then checks out. The second night, it's her reservation and her stay. She has an unnamed guest in the room. Rinse and repeat. Would each stay count as a separate stay credit?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I've often wondered about this. It seems to me that multiple night stays would be more profitable to the hotel than one night stays, so why does HGP entourage this? What's the business case for this? Or is just a point of parity since other loyalty programs do it?

Interested in perspectives on this.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:47 am

I am doing something similar, but I am chasing the triple Avios promotion currently ongoing for 1,500 Avios per stay (Offer code BA377). Yes, I forego the normal Gold Passport points, but I still get my Diamond Amenity of 1,000 points per stay.

Those Avios are racking up very quickly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.