Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
How's this place (or this area) compared to the Zilara? Which one (hotel and location) is better than the other?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:42 pm

Staying at this property at the moment as a non Hyatt status holder on the Club floor and have to say I'm pretty unimpressed.

Service by the pool is woeful. Inattentive staff, significant language barriers, long waits for drinks and checks once you eventually get their attention and lacklustre food. The next door bar with thumping music and numerous water sports companies touting for business nearby mean that you won't be getting any peaceful relaxation. Someone also spent this afternoon piloting a drone (with camera) over the pool and beach area unchecked which wasn't great from a privacy perspective.

Club lounge is mixed. Generous all day beers and decent spirit selection in the evening. A few members of staff who appeared to go above and beyond (a lady wearing glasses in particular) but the majority going through the motions. No attempt to offer alternatives for special dietary requirements and the breakfast in general was fairly average.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:20 pm

Are you able to book a club room on points here?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Contemplating this resort for a "girls weekend" in Feb 2016, but am trying to figure out how to get 9 ladies their own beds (website says 3 adults to a room so I assumed 3 rooms with double beds + a rollaway, but not all hotels allow rollaways in all rooms -- anyone have any news on that for this property?) plus Club access for all (I'm Diamond so anyone in my room gets it, plus I could "Guest of Honor" a points room and maybe pay for access for the third room unless I can use points to upgrade) and of course I need to do this all without breaking the bank.

Any recommendations from those that have been to the resort as to whether or not we can make it work?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bennoch
Unfortunately, the suite you get using DSU (Grand Suite) only has the option of 1 king bed (not 2 queens) and does not have a separate living room & bedroom.
Am I missing something?

I thought is is standard--at least among major chain hotels--to have a suite (other than a junior suite) comprise at least one bedroom and separate living area? Surely Hyatt has some brand standards along these lines....

Also--would be interested to know whether Diamonds using a DSU are getting upgraded to a plunge pool suite or Executive Suite.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:49 am

Based on early reviews I'm reading, I'm tempted to switch reservation away to another hotel. Although being right next to 5th Avenue seems appealing, the location on the beach near a noisy beach club that blasts music and has numerous water sports seems, to put it generously, less than relaxing. Unless anyone can allay these fears I'm likely to look into other properties a little bit outside the center of Playa.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Per my correspondence with the hotel they get neither, it is the most basic suite called a grand suite I think. To get the executive suite using a dsu as a diamond they want a $250ish per night copay
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Am I missing something?....
DSU upgrades to base (lowest) level suite, usually a junior suite.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, BA Silver
My experience over July 4th

I had a great experience. Used a DSU and got upgraded to an oceanfront plunge pool suite. Pool service was very attentive, friendly and quick. The pool area was full but spacious and very relaxing. La Cocina food was resort priced, not a huge menu but quite tasty.
Lounge had eggs for breakfast and full continental. Evening had extensive desserts, cold cuts, veggies and one hot option. My only complaint was two nights it was soup which seems bizarre for a beach resort. Club staff was great, good recommendations and crafted Margaritas if asked.
Spa is amazing, one of the nicest I have seen in the world!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mdskyguy
I had a great experience. Used a DSU and got upgraded to an oceanfront plunge pool suite. Pool service was very attentive, friendly and quick. The pool area was full but spacious and very relaxing. La Cocina food was resort priced, not a huge menu but quite tasty.
Lounge had eggs for breakfast and full continental. Evening had extensive desserts, cold cuts, veggies and one hot option. My only complaint was two nights it was soup which seems bizarre for a beach resort. Club staff was great, good recommendations and crafted Margaritas if asked.
Spa is amazing, one of the nicest I have seen in the world!
Did you find the noise and water sports from the neighboring beach club distracting? Also, how was the beach? I've read complaints that it's narrow and frequented by lots of people from neighboring areas, including people who try to sell you stuff. I prefer to spend time at the beach rather than pool area when at a beach location, so I'm looking for a nice, relaxing beach and I'm concerned this isn't the place for me. I've made a reservation a nearby resort a little more out of town and trying to decide which one to go with.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:40 pm

I am disappointed to hear about the suite upgrade being one king only. That's no good as we are going with the kids.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
should you switch hotels

The day club on the north beach front is leased from Hyatt and has a loud bass from 11-6pm. The beach was not that crowded and has hotel cabanas and plenty of chase lounges, but the seaweed floating in the water was annoying. If your looking for peace, quiet and serenity, this is not the place for you.
The club was above average and more than adequate.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I am disappointed to hear about the suite upgrade being one king only. That's no good as we are going with the kids.
This is the norm at virtually every hotel you can imagine.

I cannot recall ever having had a suite at any hotel chain other than Embassy Suites where the bedroom had two beds--the area for the bedroom is typically smaller than a standard room, and can only accommodate a king.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert
This is the norm at virtually every hotel you can imagine.

I cannot recall ever having had a suite at any hotel chain other than Embassy Suites where the bedroom had two beds--the area for the bedroom is typically smaller than a standard room, and can only accommodate a king.
I hear you on this but we often stay at a W, in LA, that has two full bedrooms plus a living room. I like that kind of space! As for the suites I at least like when the living room is separate and has a couch for the kids. Oh well....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by martinplas
The day club on the north beach front is leased from Hyatt and has a loud bass from 11-6pm. The beach was not that crowded and has hotel cabanas and plenty of chase lounges, but the seaweed floating in the water was annoying. If your looking for peace, quiet and serenity, this is not the place for you.
Thanks, this is very helpful and seems in line with a lot of the reviews I saw on Tripadvisor. Switching my reservation to another hotel a little bit out of the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.