Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
I just got back from a quick trip. Drive is about 40+ minutes from CUN airport. As a diamond we got upgraded to a partial ocean view room. The room was in the back near the lounge. Most rooms are partial ocean view, the direct pool access rooms are on the first floor, they do not have access to the main pools. We had breakfast in the lounge which consisted of scrambled eggs, various breads and pastries and some cereal. We had also had cocktails/canapés in the lounge after 6pm. They usually had one special dish, first night was gazpacho, second night they had chicken tostatdas. They also had a self service bar (although you could order margaritas) along with various wines. We did not eat in the on-site restaurants, but instead snacked in the paseo on site. There is a coffee bar with sweets (think starbucks), a taco/torta stand and then a raw bar/sushi stand nearer to the pool. We only had the taco stand as we weren't terribly hungry.

A tip if you want to hang around the pool, try going nearer to the right side of the hotel, the bar is closer and there is more chance of being served via one of the staff. The pool to the left had an on site DJ while we were there and was quite loud. It sounded like they were still working on the hotel while we were there.
Thanks for These Infos. But what are tostatdas? The lounge is open for 3 hours?
Do they also offer salmon for breakfast? Can you order crambled eggs too?
Do they offer cold snacks and a hot dish for dinner? Thank you very much.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:01 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by Kacee
How's the beach and beach access here?
Beach has a seaweed problem but it is accessible via the pool area, they have waiters and loungers down there, the issue though is the smell of gas fumes from all the related activities going on. It does come up to the pool area as well.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:04 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by clublevel15
Thanks for These Infos. But what are tostatdas? The lounge is open for 3 hours?
Do they also offer salmon for breakfast? Can you order crambled eggs too?
Do they offer cold snacks and a hot dish for dinner? Thank you very much.
The lounge is open until 11pm daily, I'm not sure the breakfast hours, the dinner hours were from 6pm-9pm with drinks until 11pm. They did have salmon out for breakfast, the one day I was there they had scrambled eggs, but you did not need to order those, or could. The spread from 6-9 consisted of various breads/meats/cheeses, some dessert items and usually a hot dish.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As for the cost, according to the wiki:
"Category 5 - 20,000 Points per night
Cash and Points - 10,000 + 125 Per night
19% Tax and $10 resort fee
"

The cash price looks like between $200-$400 for the basic room.

For what I understand:
If we want to use the DSU, we will need to call and pay cash or cash+point.
When we book thru priceline or other agents, we still get the diamond benefit such as the lounge.

Assume Hyatt points worth 1.5c, paying cash actually better when the total price is
lower than $300(+tax+resort fee). What would be the low season to get a low cash price?

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by milemission
As for the cost, according to the wiki:
"Category 5 - 20,000 Points per night
Cash and Points - 10,000 + 125 Per night
19% Tax and $10 resort fee
"

The cash price looks like between $200-$400 for the basic room.

For what I understand:
When we book thru priceline or other agents, we still get the diamond benefit such as the lounge.

Assume Hyatt points worth 1.5c, paying cash actually better when the total price is
lower than $300(+tax+resort fee). What would be the low season to get a low cash price?

Thanks!
In theory right now should be low season: high heat and humidity with chance of hurricane.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
The lounge is open until 11pm daily, I'm not sure the breakfast hours, the dinner hours were from 6pm-9pm with drinks until 11pm. They did have salmon out for breakfast, the one day I was there they had scrambled eggs, but you did not need to order those, or could. The spread from 6-9 consisted of various breads/meats/cheeses, some dessert items and usually a hot dish.
wow drinks, also beer and cocktails, until 11 pm????
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

For what I understand:

If you find a better rate, just do a Best Rate Guarantee claim. Don't count on getting benefits on a third party booking.

I made a C+P booking here for November, but between the resort fee and 19% tax I'm starting to second guess, even with a DSU. You can probably do better with a cash rate.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you find a better rate, just do a Best Rate Guarantee claim. Don't count on getting benefits on a third party booking.

I made a C+P booking here for November, but between the resort fee and 19% tax I'm starting to second guess, even with a DSU. You can probably do better with a cash rate.
Could you change it to cash rate booking and still keeping the DSU?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Could you change it to cash rate booking and still keeping the DSU?
In principle yes, although there is some dispute in other threads about whether there is a separate availability bucket for P+C DSUs versus regular DSUs. I've also had issues where the hotel changes a BRG rate to the HDR once a DSU is applied - lots of hassles to get reversed...

19% tax makes it almost $150 to save 10,000 points. Almost to the point where a full points booking makes more sense. Except no DSU and no stay credit...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: HGP Diamond, HH Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
In principle yes, although there is some dispute in other threads about whether there is a separate availability bucket for P+C DSUs versus regular DSUs. I've also had issues where the hotel changes a BRG rate to the HDR once a DSU is applied - lots of hassles to get reversed...

19% tax makes it almost $150 to save 10,000 points. Almost to the point where a full points booking makes more sense. Except no DSU and no stay credit...
I have a C+P DSU for Dec 13 for 3 nights but was originally booked under just points. I switched it because I was worried that I wouldn't get a ocean view on just points. Now with a ocean view suite for $476 all in versus $2150 for C rate I'm very happy.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:17 pm

4th night free promotion

I am thinking of booking here for a quick 4 night honeymoon in September after Hyatt canceled my stay at the Baha Mar.

I see they are currently running a promotion for the 4th night free. Has anyone used this promotion? Trying to figure out if the discount is spread out amongst all nights or if the actual 4th night fee is $0?

TIA!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Trinob
I am thinking of booking here for a quick 4 night honeymoon in September after Hyatt canceled my stay at the Baha Mar.

I see they are currently running a promotion for the 4th night free. Has anyone used this promotion? Trying to figure out if the discount is spread out amongst all nights or if the actual 4th night fee is $0?

TIA!
I am in the same situation with Baha Mar. I did a speculative booking and the 4th night is $0 (in case you skip out a day early) even and the rate displayed is the average rate.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:08 am

I did a early NOV 2015 booking with the 4th night promo and it works out to about $825 all taxes and fees included... Thinking of using a DSU but hoping to hear more from people that stayed there already...FYI, I booked thru hyatt.com for 2 pax and daily rate shows $165 per night before taxes and 4th night discount..
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:49 pm

I noticed some reviews on Tripadvisor mention that a lot of construction was still going on in June. Can anyone comment on this? I'm scheduled to go late August so I'm hoping the construction is all complete by then.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I would love to hear any more feedback on this property! We have tentatively booked a trip for March (w kids) using DSU cash + points (10,000 + $125). Unfortunately, the suite you get using DSU (Grand Suite) only has the option of 1 king bed (not 2 queens) and does not have a separate living room & bedroom. Also, we tried to get a 2 queen room that would connect to the suite, but those rooms are apparently not available using cash & points (?). Also, I don't think the family plan rate is available for a 2nd, connecting room in this property. It does look nice though..... and we want to be somewhere legitimately warm for end March (otherwise considering Clearwater, Grand Cypress, Lost Pines or Hill Country).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.