Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Embarcadero SF cheating system to avoid award stays. (Partially Resolved)

Hyatt Embarcadero SF cheating system to avoid award stays. (Partially Resolved)

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dw
Exactly-- I do not believe the July 4th holiday is a high demand weekend in general for SF (and taking a look at rates citywide for this coming weekend, they are in general fairly low), which makes it even odder that the property is restricting award redemption.
July 4 is relatively high demand. GH is sold out. It's also not clear to me that HR has lowest tier rooms available that night. Looks like cheapest available room is a Bay View King and that they're making that inventory available under "Business Plan."
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
July 4 is relatively high demand. GH is sold out. It's also not clear to me that HR has lowest tier rooms available that night. Looks like cheapest available room is a Bay View King and that they're making that inventory available under "Business Plan."
Standard rooms (which may be ADA, but which are still part of inventory for redemption at these properties) are currently available at both the HR and the GH for the nights of 7/3, 7/4 and 7/5.

But both hotels are controlling inventory such that for a two night stay with a Friday 7/3 check-in, standard rooms are only available as part of a package rate, and thus are not open for points redemption. Oddly, if you extend the stay to three nights, the standard rooms get thrown into the HDR rate bucket, and points redemptions are suddenly available.

This seems to be a new twist on minimum stay requirements-- the properties will sell you standard rooms as part of a package with no minimum stay requirement, but if you want to redeem points, a minimum stay requirement suddenly pops up.

This is getting way too confusing.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I was able to reserve a C&P night for 3-4 July and a credit card night for 4-5 July at the HR SF in the last week.

I've been trying to book a C&P night in SEA or SAN for 17-19 July with no luck. I can book both paid and point only nights, but I want to book C&P nights. I'm not very happy about that, especially since I was told that SEA doesn't even have any C&P nights until late August (GH and Olive 8) . SPG has had much better availability of their C&P rates.

While I'm not happy to read the games that are being played by hotels, I'm glad that it's getting some attention. I'd also like to see Hyatt start addressing the lack of C&P rates. If this trend of artificial lack of availability spreads throughout the Hyatt system, I may have to start looking at a different hotel chain to make my number 1 chain.

Thanks to Vuelos for shedding light on this subject.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I'd also like to see Hyatt start addressing the lack of C&P rates.
Both Hyatt and SPG have been honest since the beginning that C+P rates are capacity controlled. I dunno what you expect Hyatt to do here...
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by pillow25
Both Hyatt and SPG have been honest since the beginning that C+P rates are capacity controlled. I dunno what you expect Hyatt to do here...
No C&P rates in SEA (GH and Olive 8) until the third week of August? On any day of the week?

Sure, zero is capacity controlled. At least you can find some C&P rates with SPG.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:02 pm

No C&P rates in SEA (GH and Olive 8) until the third week of August? On any day of the week?

Sure, zero is capacity controlled.
If I recall correctly, GP pays the hotel less for C+P reservations than with full points reservations. Maybe that's why the hotels doesn't offer them as much during the busy summer months. Even if this wasn't the case, what do you want the hotel to do? Open C+P inventory at your whim?

At least you can find some C&P rates with SPG.
Perhaps you should move your stays to SPG then.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
HR San Francisco seems to be doing it still.

Example date: 7/8/15-7/9/15

Lowest room category under Hyatt Daily Rate: Bay View Balcony King Room at $379

Meanwhile all their package rates (Bed and Breakfast, Park & Play, 20 Paces to the Bases, etc.) show a King and Double room with availability for a few bucks more.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:08 pm

I don't think this issue has been resolved. I've been trying to book one night (7/6) at this HR since last week and have been following this thread closely, but nothing much has been changed--the hotel has King and Double rooms for Park & Play and Bed & Breakfast rates but none in the daily rate, and hence, no award rooms available.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:49 am

If I recall correctly, GP pays the hotel less for C+P reservations than with full points reservations. Maybe that's why the hotels doesn't offer them as much during the busy summer months. Even if this wasn't the case, what do you want the hotel to do? Open C+P inventory at your whim?
If Hyatt pays less for C&P, then you've already pointed out the solution. Pay hotels a comparable rate for C&P stays. And require hotels to offer a number greater than zero of C&P rates.

Perhaps you should move your stays to SPG then.
Done. I'll be staying at SPG properties in SEA.

What you're advocating - zero C&P rates offered - is not much different than the games some hotels are playing with rooms/packages as being discussed in this thread.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

P&C have always been under the propertiy's discretion whether to offer it at all - nothing for Hyatt corporate to enforce. The award redemption is another issue at all.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:05 am

This is absolute BS. I have tried a ton of random 1 night stays and cannot find a single one where points or more importantly, my anniversary night would be viable. However, if I change to 2 nights, oh...lord have mercy! Suddenly there is space in a basic room, but that makes it impossible to use my anniversary nights. I tried about 25 random nights through July 2016. 2016! I want to use 2 anniversary nights and pay for one, but I can't get availability, even though the nights I want are available, even for points, IF I book 2 or all 3 together at once, which I cannot do with free nights. Come on Hyatt, this is some serious BS.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by antonius66
This is absolute BS. I have tried a ton of random 1 night stays and cannot find a single one where points or more importantly, my anniversary night would be viable. However, if I change to 2 nights, oh...lord have mercy! Suddenly there is space in a basic room, but that makes it impossible to use my anniversary nights. I tried about 25 random nights through July 2016. 2016! I want to use 2 anniversary nights and pay for one, but I can't get availability, even though the nights I want are available, even for points, IF I book 2 or all 3 together at once, which I cannot do with free nights. Come on Hyatt, this is some serious BS.
I hear your frustration and share your concern.
It is important to make Hyatt Consumer Affairs/Guest Relations aware directly of your issue & dissatisfaction.
I recently exchanged emails with a new member of Flyertalk who was equally frustrated with a Park Hyatt trying to redeem an available standard room
on points at an international property.A somewhat different situation as all space was blocked out for standard rooms

He was successful in getting the hotel to release a standard room for Gold Passport points by contacting them directly
I have depending on my relationship with the individual hotels done it personally over the years on behalf of other Gold Passport guests who were in your shoes.
In all my years with Hyatt I have never seen a widespread change with hotels micro managing the standard room inventory
It is a troubling trend and something I hope Hyatt will address accordingly across the board.
Oddly it seems that Hyatt has lost control of the business behavior of select individual hotels regarding Gold Passport redemption.

With regard to your concern using complementary free nights with the minimum night stay requirement
minimum night stay requirements seem to be something that has gotten more common in the past few years.
None the less hotels have sometimes made exceptions by calling Gold Passport and getting the space opened up
Of course this is never a guarantee.
Being polite and appreciative without an expectation can go a long way to the desired outcome
In the meantime if your goal is to stay with Hyatt and I'll assume it still is a number of the hotels in my own experience
have been very cooperative to me and many others and very helpful accommodating such requests by simply reaching out.
By all means let us know how you make out should you attempt this

Cheers
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I have tried a ton of random 1 night stays and cannot find a single one where points or more importantly, my anniversary night would be viable. However, if I change to 2 nights, oh...lord have mercy! Suddenly there is space in a basic room, but that makes it impossible to use my anniversary nights.
Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another twist in how certain properties (including this one) are manipulating award inventory.

It used to be that if a hotel instituted a minimum stay requirement for certain periods, that requirement would apply to both revenue and award stays.

I have now seen at the HR SF as well as the GH SF that during certain periods, they are imposing minimum stays to get rates at the HDR rate bucket. You can still book 1 night stays during this period, but only as part of the infamous "packages". So in essence, they are still allowing revenue bookings with no minimum stay requirements, but are not allowing award stays.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I have found that if there's a minimum stay requirement, I can often book a stay and then call the hotel to (e.g.) switch one night to a certificate.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:42 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Whenever I run into this situation, I book a stay for longer than I need ... then I call Hyatt reservations and get them to cancel the extra nights. The result is the same as if they had let me book the nights I needed in the first place. Hotel "yield management software" will sometimes let you book a 3- or 4- night stay, but not a 1- or 2- night stay ... even though it's the same room and it's obviously available for a shorter stay.
I want to use 2 anniversary nights and pay for one, but I can't get availability, even though the nights I want are available, even for points, IF I book 2 or all 3 together at once, which I cannot do with free nights. Come on Hyatt ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.