Sunshine on Sale rate + DSU?

Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Sunshine on Sale rate + DSU?

Lots of resorts are advertising the Sunshine on Sale rates, where either your 3rd or 4th night are free (and there are probably other variations).

Has anyone successfully combined this rate with a DSU?

I am 99% sure I have done this previously, but can't currently verify and would appreciate newer experiences. I realize that "by the book" Hyatt Daily Rate is required in order to use a DSU. In this case it is Hyatt Daily Rate for 2-3 days, with the promotion rebating either the 3rd or 4th night.

Appreciate any intel. Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:30 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I wonder about the source of this info. I've never paid the Hyatt Daily Rate ever ... and I've used a trainload of DSU's.
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I realize that "by the book" Hyatt Daily Rate is required in order to use a DSU.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
That's great to hear and correlates with my own sun-soaked, margarita-fueled experience (e.g., I can't specifically recall)

But I'm equally confident I have read that the DSU requirements involve paying at least the Hyatt Daily Rate for those nights.

I would love to be told that I'm wrong and to STFU
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's great to hear and correlates with my own sun-soaked, margarita-fueled experience (e.g., I can't specifically recall)

But I'm equally confident I have read that the DSU requirements involve paying at least the Hyatt Daily Rate for those nights.

I would love to be told that I'm wrong and to STFU
STFU.

Just had to say it since you asked for it.

I never pay the daily rate and frequently use DSU's. You might be thinking of paying extra points to get a suite, but I'm not sure of that stipulation.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:01 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If you're using points to upgrade to a suite, it requires the Hyatt Daily Rate or higher. However you're using a DSU so this provision does not apply.
8. Hyatt Gold Passport upgrade awards may not be redeemed at all Hyatt hotel or resort locations. In order to redeem a Regency Club or Grand Club upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a Hyatt Resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.). In order to redeem a Regency/Grand Club upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a non-resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate. There are a limited number of guest rooms available for Regency Club, Grand Club and Suite Upgrade awards. Suite upgrade awards are only valid for standard suites, defined as each participating propertys introductory suite category. Unless otherwise indicated, the point requirement for upgrade award is on a per night basis. Upgrade awards count toward the night for which the award was redeemed, regardless of the length of stay. Hyatt Gold Passport Regency Club or Grand Club upgrade awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara or Hyatt Ziva resorts. Upgrade awards are not valid at M life resorts.
... I have read that the DSU requirements involve paying at least the Hyatt Daily Rate for those nights.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:02 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Flyertalkers,

In order to use a Diamond Suite Upgrade, a guest simply has to be paying an eligible rate. So any rate that you would normally earn points and stay credit for can be used along with a Diamond Suite Upgrade.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

That must have been the mixup, having used both routes to secure suites.

Thank you guys, self-imposed STFU in place
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

And thanks for the ultra-fast response GP Concierge
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
If you're using points to upgrade to a suite, it requires the Hyatt Daily Rate or higher. However you're using a DSU so this provision does not apply.
8. Hyatt Gold Passport upgrade awards may not be redeemed at all Hyatt hotel or resort locations. In order to redeem a Regency Club or Grand Club upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a Hyatt Resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.). In order to redeem a Regency/Grand Club upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a non-resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate. There are a limited number of guest rooms available for Regency Club, Grand Club and Suite Upgrade awards. Suite upgrade awards are only valid for standard suites, defined as each participating propertys introductory suite category. Unless otherwise indicated, the point requirement for upgrade award is on a per night basis. Upgrade awards count toward the night for which the award was redeemed, regardless of the length of stay. Hyatt Gold Passport Regency Club or Grand Club upgrade awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara or Hyatt Ziva resorts. Upgrade awards are not valid at M life resorts.
Maybe what's confusing is the term upgrade award, which Hyatt uses specifically to mean using points to confirm the upgrade.

DSUs do not fall into this category. In fact, DSUs can be used with points and cash rates (which also earn HGP points on the part paid with money), but not with award reservations (paid fully with points or AFAIK with free night certs).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:40 am

Has anyone successfully combined this rate with a DSU?
Yes. Enjoy!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Just finished a stay using Sunshine on Sale rate and DSU. No problem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.