Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Two week cancellation policy for France?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Hey Flyertalkers,

I'm just booked one night at the CDG Hyatt using my chase cert. The agent I spoke to said that I needed to cancel by 14 days prior to my stay or else I would be penalized for one night or (230 euros). He said this policy is in effect because Paris is so popular.

Is the airport destination so popular that is overrun by folks visiting the city of lights?

I'm tempted to book at the Hilton where I can book a cancelable rate for about 175 Euros and if my travel plans really firm up, I'll move to the Hyatt.

Is this a new policy? If so, could it work in your favor if say, you are looking for a hotel that is hard to secure and you call 14 days before your stay and see if anything has opened up?

Many thanks,
lala
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It all depends on the property and dates you are staying. At CDG it's normally just one day before staying.... But at popular times it might be more.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Booked Cannes GH Martinez on points two months before the stay and didn't realize until getting the email confirmation that this reservation is non-cancelable non-changeable and the penalty is one night at €820.00.
I also noted there is availability in every category of rooms including suites.

In comparison reservations for Paris Etoile are 24 hour and Nice HR seven day cancellation notice.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Booked Cannes GH Martinez on points two months before the stay and didn't realize until getting the email confirmation that this reservation is non-cancelable non-changeable and the penalty is one night at €820.00.

In comparison reservations for Paris Etoile are 24 hour and Nice HR seven day cancellation notice.
I've never heard of a points stay that couldn't be changed or canceled.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It can probably happen at peak times I guess, but I'm sure if you catch it at the time of booking it won't be a problem...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by skunker
I've never heard of a points stay that couldn't be changed or canceled.
Ive seen many properties with this restriction. The latest set I saw was at most of the "nicer" hyatt properties during SXSW in Austin. Still had points stays available but they were non-cancelable.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I need to check all our reservations for the Festive period. Plans change and points can be redeposited in five seconds, why this penalty for canceling early?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by lalala
I need to check all our reservations for the Festive period. Plans change and points can be redeposited in five seconds, why this penalty for canceling early?
So they don't get stuck with an empty room they knew they could sell. Pretty simple to explain, really....

For €55 savings, I'd just stay at the Hilton anyway.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Ive seen many properties with this restriction. The latest set I saw was at most of the "nicer" hyatt properties during SXSW in Austin. Still had points stays available but they were non-cancelable.
Completely non-cancelable or with a penalty? PH Maldives used to (still?) have a 30-day cancel window. Inside 30-days you would get your points back but would be charged rack rate for one night. The GP agent actually told me that if I needed to cancel within 30-days to change the reservation and then cancel.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME it's common for hotels in resort areas of France, such as the Riviera but not business cities or smaller towns/roadside hotels, to have a thirty day cancellation policy.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by suite2suite

Either the summer season or the Cannes Film Festival, although there a number of conventions that also may use the city, as well.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Quote:

I'm thinking the park hyatt vendome will have no trouble filling that room.

Originally Posted by lalala

So they don't get stuck with an empty room they knew they could sell. Pretty simple to explain, really....

For €55 savings, I'd just stay at the Hilton anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.