Hotel du Louvre or Etoile?

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Hotel du Louvre or Etoile?

I'm at the Vendome for two nights and another night at a different Hyatt property. I currently have the Louvre booked, but I'm wondering if I should change the reservation?

Both hotels (especially the Etoile) seem to be undergoing renovations and both seem to be somewhat rundown. Etoile seems to have great views (if I'm lucky to get a room facing that way) but Louvre's location seems to be much better.

Thoughts? Which should I go for if I don't care about the 5k point price difference? I don't have Diamond status.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:46 pm
Suspended

if you're only in Paris for 3-nights guess my question would be why do you want, or need, to change properties instead of just staying all 3-nights at the V and not having to pack, change hotels and unpack again.

just enjoy the city instead of changing hotels - why waste the afternoon?

Originally Posted by hannsg620
I'm at the Vendome for two nights and another night at a different Hyatt property. I currently have the Louvre booked, but I'm wondering if I should change the reservation?

Both hotels (especially the Etoile) seem to be undergoing renovations and both seem to be somewhat rundown. Etoile seems to have great views (if I'm lucky to get a room facing that way) but Louvre's location seems to be much better.

Thoughts? Which should I go for if I don't care about the 5k point price difference? I don't have Diamond status.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond

Thanks!

I agree with your assessment. Louvre is an unbeatable location as a tourist.

I would call HR Etiole (eg via Skype) and see if they are willing to lock you into a renovated (within past 10 years), Eiffel view (that's what I did.) I can't imagine another hotel in Paris with a better view. Shuttle to HR also can't be easier. Easy access to metro for both.

Would be a personal decision and based on rate.

Would not hold my breath for renovation at either. When I was there in 2/2015, not even the staff know when it would be.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The rooms in the Etoile are tiny, and many (most?) are not renovated! Go to the bar there for a drink and view of Paris, then go back to the Vendome to sleep.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by leeky
if you're only in Paris for 3-nights guess my question would be why do you want, or need, to change properties instead of just staying all 3-nights at the V and not having to pack, change hotels and unpack again.
Possibl reasons for many:
CC free night(s)
Not enough points or cash for 3 nights
Like trying different hotels.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Possibl reasons for many:
CC free night(s)
Not enough points or cash for 3 nights
Like trying different hotels.
Yeah 2 CC free nights at V, and points at the other hotel. It's a difference of 10k points between the V and the Lourve, that's pretty significant and worth the switch to me.

I agree with your assessment. Louvre is an unbeatable location as a tourist.

I would call HR Etiole (eg via Skype) and see if they are willing to lock you into a renovated (within past 10 years), Eiffel view (that's what I did.) I can't imagine another hotel in Paris with a better view. Shuttle to HR also can't be easier. Easy access to metro for both.

Would be a personal decision and based on rate.

Would not hold my breath for renovation at either. When I was there in 2/2015, not even the staff know when it would be.
Hmm I'm confused. You said you called them via Skype and asked to be locked into a renovated Eiffel view room. But then later you said when you were there in Feb the staff didn't know when the renovations would be. Were you able to stay in a renovated room because of the Skype call? I think I might try this (or email them), it seems like if I could get that a view + renovated that would be better than the Louvre.

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:01 pm

Hmm I'm confused. You said you called them via Skype and asked to be locked into a renovated Eiffel view room. But then later you said when you were there in Feb the staff didn't know when the renovations would be. Were you able to stay in a renovated room because of the Skype call? I think I might try this (or email them), it seems like if I could get that a view + renovated that would be better than the Louvre.

Thanks!
The current "renovated room" at HR was done within the past 10years or so by the previous owner. The renovation by Hyatt is TBA.

I was in Paris 3x in a 15 month period. Stayed solely at PHV the 1st 2 stays. The 3rd trip, I was alone shopping and did not want to spend the $/points so I stayed 2-3nt at HR and 1 at PHV( since I love PHV and want to spend a little time there.) I thought the view/price was a good value since I paid $100-150. Both PHV and HR is a convenient shuttle to CDG.

You have the Hyatt CC so look at the 20% point rebate making the stays:
PHV: 24K
Lourve: 16K
HR: 12K

View on post 192: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...thread-13.html
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The current "renovated room" at HR was done within the past 10years or so by the previous owner. The renovation by Hyatt is TBA.

Unfortunately, there is no 'renovated' room at the Regency Etoile. They have all kinds of renovated rooms, ranging from almost complete to bath only and new bed to new bed plus new chairs but old bathroom not to mention a few model rooms on lower floors.

It is still the best value for money in town after the Regency CDG and getting a suite is still highly recommended (same here, some are new, some are 15 years old...)

This property is hot or miss at its very best, incl. the staff.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There has not been very much done since it was owned by Societe du Louvre (i.e. Taittinger family). The carpet is still the same dark blue with little stars...
Old May 24, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I'm comparing these two hotels for a one night stay...here is the situation.
Taking the chunnel over from London to arrive in time for dinner on Monday the 8th of August. Crashing for the night, and then doing a one day sight seeing tour in Paris before heading back to London. Making the trip will be my wife, myself, two boys, (11&10) and my inlaws...both healthy mid 70's.
I have already booked two king rooms at the Etoile for 30K points total...the DL agent told me they can put rollaways in for no extra charge. So, that is what I had originally planned, until I saw the reviews here! EEK!
Other option is to book 3 rooms for a total of 60K points at the Hotel de Louvre for the night. I know that location well enough to know there are plenty of safe walkable places to go for dinner when we arrive. I also know that it is an old hotel with tiny rooms...but for one night, I can deal with that.

So here are my questions:
-Are there authentic Parisian neighborhoods and cafes near the Etoile where we can safely walk for dinner?
-Is there an easy metro from Gare du Nord station to the hotel?
-What are they currently doing for Diamonds for breakfast at either hotel...couldn't find concrete answers in the threads b/c of renovations, etc.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old May 24, 2016, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm comparing these two hotels for a one night stay...
Have you read the Etoile thread? I would never stay at that property based on what's reported there.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
wrong thread
Old May 24, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I'm comparing these two hotels for a one night stay...here is the situation.
Taking the chunnel over from London to arrive in time for dinner on Monday the 8th of August. Crashing for the night, and then doing a one day sight seeing tour in Paris before heading back to London. Making the trip will be my wife, myself, two boys, (11&10) and my inlaws...both healthy mid 70's.
I have already booked two king rooms at the Etoile for 30K points total...the DL agent told me they can put rollaways in for no extra charge. So, that is what I had originally planned, until I saw the reviews here! EEK!
Other option is to book 3 rooms for a total of 60K points at the Hotel de Louvre for the night. I know that location well enough to know there are plenty of safe walkable places to go for dinner when we arrive. I also know that it is an old hotel with tiny rooms...but for one night, I can deal with that.

So here are my questions:
-Are there authentic Parisian neighborhoods and cafes near the Etoile where we can safely walk for dinner?
-Is there an easy metro from Gare du Nord station to the hotel?
-What are they currently doing for Diamonds for breakfast at either hotel...couldn't find concrete answers in the threads b/c of renovations, etc.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Having stayed at both hotels in March, I suggest you go with the Louvre.

As a Diamond, I presumably received one of the bigger or better rooms at the Etoile. There wasn't enough room for one rollaway, much less two. I would only count on a rollaway if the hotel confirms it, not an agent in the US who has never been to the property.

My room at the Louvre was actually larger, although that might have been an exception due to visiting in off season and getting an upgrade.

The breakfast at the Etoile was the restaurant buffet. The neighborhood was fine, although I wasn't looking hard for fine dining. Authentic Paris? You're in Paris so it is going to be authentic - the question is whether you want the touristy, quaint bits or the parts where regular people live. Apart from great views of the Eiffel Tower, you're not really close to anything at the Etoile.

People's experiences of public transportation systems differs. I would happily travel on most metro systems, but I would never take all of my things on the Paris metro. I've simply seen too many "grab and dash" incidents. During the day for sure, with valuables locked away at the hotel, but otherwise I would take a taxi or Uber.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Louvre - could burn a DSU as well and get a 2 room suite. The suite I got had plenty of room in the sitting room for a rollaway, if they allow it. Location is of course, far better than Etoile.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Hotel du Louvre for sure

The location of the Louvre hotel can't be beat. Its right on main line stops for bus, and metro access and great to walk about the neighborhoods.

The hotel is older but quaint. I don't think you can go wrong with Louvre compared to the other, especially based on the recent bad reports on the other hotel.

Last edited by PortlySpartacus; May 24, 2016 at 6:20 pm Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.