Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric The Loop Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Checked in tonight into a large corner room. Couple of thoughts:

Looks like privacy film (solid white) were installed on the bathroom windows facing the offices. Regular room still has shades that you manually pull down. Not sure it looks classy, but rather like someone forgot to remove the stuff that protects glass while being shipped. If it blocks out the sun during the day completely, then the windows were pointless.
I also had a corner room (808) and I do not remember any privacy film on the bathroom window. Also, all of our shades were controlled by an electronic panel on the wall. Is that not standard from room to room?
Old May 30, 2015, 11:15 am

Stayed memorial weekend 23 to 25.

Arrived earlier and asked if the hotel can hold my bag and I will walk around until check time. They informed they had a room ready for me. I was placed in room 1411. It was perfect. Bed was real comfortable room and area was Quiet, good size and great tv. I only planned on using the room for sleep so I did not need all the bells and whistles.

Bathroom was nice, not a fan of these showers that the same level as the ground but it seems thats the normal now a days. Location is amazing. I had all the "tourist" spots down in less then a day. Would def stay again.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by LizGross144
I also had a corner room (808) and I do not remember any privacy film on the bathroom window. Also, all of our shades were controlled by an electronic panel on the wall. Is that not standard from room to room?
MY room had manual drawstring type shades that were kind of annoying.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Nice hotel. Nice decor (brand new so one would assume so!) and really GREAT staff. Only complaint is the really dire room service. Ordered bowl of soup and lettuce salad. $41! OK -- so for that amount of $, I would assume it's actually "room service," not a staff member bringing me everything in eco-friendly disposable containers, plastic cutlery, and paper napkins. Not even a tray or plate! Just eat out of the take-away containers. I could have walked downstairs to the hotel's restaurant and saved $15 or so. For the extra $ I was assuming it would be a traditionally served room service meal -- not cart or anything, but at least real cutlery and a cloth napkin. Can't recommend this hotel if you ever want room service.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Nice hotel. Nice decor (brand new so one would assume so!) and really GREAT staff. Only complaint is the really dire room service. Ordered bowl of soup and lettuce salad. $41! OK -- so for that amount of $, I would assume it's actually "room service," not a staff member bringing me everything in eco-friendly disposable containers, plastic cutlery, and paper napkins. Not even a tray or plate! Just eat out of the take-away containers. I could have walked downstairs to the hotel's restaurant and saved $15 or so. For the extra $ I was assuming it would be a traditionally served room service meal -- not cart or anything, but at least real cutlery and a cloth napkin. Can't recommend this hotel if you ever want room service.
They did warn me of this during my stay. I WOULD be a rude awakening if you were not informed.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
No, no notice is given that "room service" is actually "take-out delivery service".
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
That is good to know as I am staying here in three weeks and often order room service and the restaurant downstairs looked interesting since I love French. I will definitely make sure to walk downstairs and make it a to go order. IF am going to pay those ridiculous extra fees for room service, I want a tray and a real plate and cutlery. Otherwise I can do the takeout thing myself. Was the limited you had food ok?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Considering that most of the entrees on the menu are ~$16, I don't think the $20 is going to cut it when you add coffee/juice and tax/tip. And it shouldn't cover "if not most". It should cover 100%. Clearly they need to review this again.
Yeah, this is really chintzy. Nothing turns me off more than a property nickel and diming elite members like this.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

$41! OK -- so for that amount of $, I would assume it's actually "room service," not a staff member bringing me everything in eco-friendly disposable containers, plastic cutlery, and paper napkins. Not even a tray or plate! Just eat out of the take-away containers. I could have walked downstairs to the hotel's restaurant and saved $15 or so. For the extra $ I was assuming it would be a traditionally served room service meal -- not cart or anything, but at least real cutlery and a cloth napkin. Can't recommend this hotel if you ever want room service.

I would expect better from a Category 4 in a great city like Chicago. At least ask if the guest wants the eco friendly option and don't charge more for it. It should be discounted like when I bring my tumbler to Starbucks and get 300 KRW won off.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:30 pm

I believe that 'knock and drop' room service is an intentional element of the Centric brand that is intended to appeal to younger customers. That said, I had assumed it would be at a lower price point than 'normal' room service.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BobR
I believe that 'knock and drop' room service is an intentional element of the Centric brand that is intended to appeal to younger customers. That said, I had assumed it would be at a lower price point than 'normal' room service.
Might as well just order cartons of Chinese food to eat out of the box. I'm not even that old and I find 'knock and drop' to be head scratching. Dumb move by Centric because not every guest is going to be an environment saving hipster. Even younger people enjoy full white linens and proper cutlery. ^
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
This set up seems pretty similar to the Hyatt Times Square which also will deliver your food in a bag with plastic cutlery and paper napkins. As a result I never did room service and instead went out when I was there. There really is no point in doing room service when such is the option (and I am someone who does room service at least once roughly 65% of my stays). If you happen to like the food just go downstairs and make a takeout order which costs nothing extra. I do appreciate knowing about this ahead of time so I can pick up something else when I am out and about if it strikes me, also this is a pretty casual stay for me and I have time to go out, so its not a big deal. My next two stays in Chicago in August are at the Drake and Waldorf Astoria and both have excellent room service and items I really like (the Drake has lobster roll and the Waldorf has a fabulous beef tartare which I always get with a side of roasted fingerling potatoes).
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:04 am

Review of my recent stay at Hyatt Centric

I have now stayed at 3 of the Hyatt's in Chicago - the Centric, PH and MM. I found Centric to be a v. comfortable stay. I was comped an upgrade to a suite which was spacious and modern. The bed comfortable and the shower was great.

It was disappointing that there wasn't a mirror on the inside of the wardrobe. the only mirror that I saw was in the bathroom. The tub was v. low and seemed out of place for the modern design of the room.

The other issue I had was with the diamond breakfast. $20 does not cover a descent breakfast. My bill came to $26 and all I had was a cup of tea, glass of milk and eggs benedict. Given that wifi is now complimentary for all guests, I think it might be simpler to jut give an F &B credit to diamond members so that stye have the flexibility to use it when they want. I will say that the restaurant connect to the hotel serves delicious food.

I didn't get a chance to check out the 3rd floor common area. I also heard there will be a rooftop bard opening soon.

Customer service is superb and I will definitely be staying again.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by stilettolexy
I have now stayed at 3 of the Hyatt's in Chicago - the Centric, PH and MM. I found Centric to be a v. comfortable stay. I was comped an upgrade to a suite which was spacious and modern. The bed comfortable and the shower was great.

It was disappointing that there wasn't a mirror on the inside of the wardrobe. the only mirror that I saw was in the bathroom. The tub was v. low and seemed out of place for the modern design of the room.

The other issue I had was with the diamond breakfast. $20 does not cover a descent breakfast. My bill came to $26 and all I had was a cup of tea, glass of milk and eggs benedict. Given that wifi is now complimentary for all guests, I think it might be simpler to jut give an F &B credit to diamond members so that stye have the flexibility to use it when they want. I will say that the restaurant connect to the hotel serves delicious food.

I didn't get a chance to check out the 3rd floor common area. I also heard there will be a rooftop bard opening soon.

Customer service is superb and I will definitely be staying again.
Were you required to pay the difference at checkout? If so, that's in very, very poor taste of Hyatt to treat a Diamond member that way. $16 in downtown Chicago doesn't go very far AT ALL, especially considering that a tip is necessary. I've looked at the menu and saw that most items are in the $14 - $16 range. That doesn't include coffee, tea or juice or a side of protein. I'm planning a staycation for August and refuse to stay at the Centric because I think they are really nickel and diming Diamond members on the breakfast thing.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:04 am

What is considered a standard room here? July 4-5 many seemingly standard rooms (even 1 queen bed) are available at the Hyatt Daily Rate but not points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.