Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Cash and Points Reservation without Sufficient Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller

So I always make speculative bookings with cash and points to either earn stay credits or to apply DSU.

Today I called the diamond line and was told that since I did not have sufficient points in the account, I am not able to make the c+p reservation but am able to make the full points reservation without the points...
She even checked with her supervisor.

Currently, I have about three future reservations made without the points being applied but was able to as long as I have enough points by check-in. The agents who made these reservations said that it was okay since I am a diamond member.

Does anyone know what the official policy is?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Already talking about this here.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Already talking about this here.
Hey, I must know you from somewhere
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:19 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Good Morning,

Points + Cash reservations must have the full balance of points required allocated to the specific stay at the time of booking. These are treated differently from free night awards where you could either go up to 1,000 negative (status is irrelevant) or book the free night under the assumption your balance would be sufficient by the time of check-in (Diamond members only.) Hope this helps!

Last edited by Gold Passport Concierge; Apr 18, 2015 at 7:19 am Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Good Morning,

Points + Cash reservations must have the full balance of points required allocated to the specific stay at the time of booking. These are treated differently from free night awards where you could either go up to 1,000 negative (status is irrelevant) or book the free night under the assumption your balance would be sufficient by the time of check-in (Diamond members only.) Hope this helps!
I think that the point of the original post is that this is a change from the previous policy, as I have made P+C reservations in the past under the assumption the balance would be sufficient by the time of check-in. It's unfortunate that we never receive any advance notice of such opaque policy changes.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think that the point of the original post is that this is a change from the previous policy, as I have made P+C reservations in the past under the assumption the balance would be sufficient by the time of check-in. It's unfortunate that we never receive any advance notice of such opaque policy changes.
Same here. Done P+C without the requisite points before. Couldn't do it recently and asked the Twitter folks about it, they said it was always the policy.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With limited c+p availability i am glad to see some measures to control speculative bookings. ^
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
With limited c+p availability i am glad to see some measures to control speculative bookings. ^
How do you know they were speculative?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you know they were speculative?
From the first sentence in op?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:27 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I just ran into this yesterday. I called up to make a 3 night P and C reservation at the PH, which is a total of 30K points. I had 29,300 or so points in my account and I asked if that was ok. The agent replied sure, as long as you have the points by your stay. I then asked to apply a DSU which he also seemed to accommodate.

Fast forward and I didn't get a confirmation email so I checked my Hyatt account. The rate is listed as $399 a night and 18K points are missing- so I PM HGP concierge to get things sorted out. Turns out instead of doing as I asked; the agent reserved me a room at the HDR and applied a 6K per night points upgrade. I'm not even quite sure why he took it upon himself to do that but thankfully the HGP concierge was able to sort things out quickly.

FDW
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
My advice is get some points. It is not that hard.

I don't make a booking for money I don't have.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
And I was still able to make speculative bookings with all points
Can't receive stay credits nor apply DSU but works for me
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 pm

I've booked three this year, as a Diamond, without sufficient points in my account for P+C. Of course, I had the points in the account by the stay and it was fine.

Today on the phone with the HGP reps, they claim the policy has been you can't book without enough points...

Last edited by dakdillon; Apr 20, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody can stay on a P+C reservation without the points to cover it. But, just as a hotel doesn't demand payment in advance for a room reservation, you should be able to make a point reservation under the assumption that you will have the points to cover it when the time comes.

Last edited by hailstorm; Apr 20, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Nobody can stay on a P+C reservation without the points to cover it. But, just as a hotel doesn't demand payment in advance for a room reservation, you should be able to make a point reservation under the assumption that you will have the points to cover it when the time comes.
Totally agree.
Obviously there's less points needed to earn to cover for cash and points reservation than a straight up points redemption.
Really doesn't make much sense, but I guess that's the rule now.
I'll have to make "speculative" bookings with all points and maybe see if I could swap it out later with cash and points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.