Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Guest of Honor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
As expected (per previous post) my sister's Guest of Honor booking at the Hyatt Seattle went unrecognized. I can imagine she was somewhat embarrassed and irked when they were completely clueless when she asked about lounge access and breakfast upon checkin. When I called them to straighten it out, the front desk had no idea what I was talking about in regards to "guest of honor". I asked them to contact HGP and learn what it was. After a hold they figured it out and granted my sister access. This "enhancement" has been around for a third of a year already, I don't understand why these embarrassing incidents have to keep happening.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:04 am

I'd like to gift Hyatt free nights to a couple with my diamond status.

Given all the reported problems on Guest of Honor, I am wondering if it would be better to simply book the reservation under my name and add a note allowing them to check in? Seems like this would avoid the issue of recognition. Any idea if this will work better, as far as gifting diamond benefits is concerned?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I'd like to gift Hyatt free nights to a couple with my diamond status.

Given all the reported problems on Guest of Honor, I am wondering if it would be better to simply book the reservation under my name and add a note allowing them to check in? Seems like this would avoid the issue of recognition. Any idea if this will work better, as far as gifting diamond benefits is concerned?
Might work better but it's a YMMV type of situation... Higher chance of getting away with this in the US; chances decreases overseas I would think...

It boils down to how much risk you're willing to take (or they are willing to take)... there's always the chance that the hotel will require you to be there for checkin... maybe they get away with it maybe they don't....

FDW
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Wouldn't most of these issues be avoided just by communicating directly with the property in advance of the stay?

You shouldn't have to do that, but better safe than sorry...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:14 am

Since the recipient of the award is now entitled to Diamond benefits through GOH, why take a risk by booking under your name? Hailstorm's suggestion seems like the best approach. Communicate with the hotel in advance to get confirmation of the GOH benefits. The guest could then have a printed out email confirmation in case of problems at check in.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:21 am

The hotel is the HR Osaka. My thinking was that with booking under my name, the benefits are guaranteed, whereas given the reports in this thread, chances seem high that the benefits will not be straightforward on a GOH booking.

The other thing is that GOH requires the staying guest to also have a Hyatt account number, so I'll have to have him register for one.

Since it seems booking under my name is also risky, I'll have him get a Hyatt number and book it as a GOH reservation.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:32 am

In Japan they will definitely know if you do not show up.

The good thing is that in Japan they will definitely extend the GOH benefits if they know what GOH is. An email to the hotel to confirm the benefits would be a good idea. Then have tge guest print out that confirmation email in case there are any problems during check in.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ckpeter
The other thing is that GOH requires the staying guest to also have a Hyatt account number, so I'll have to have him register for one.
This isn't true. I've made GoH bookings for people without a HGP# without any issues.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by britishcanuck
This isn't true. I've made GoH bookings for people without a HGP# without any issues.
Looks like you are right. The first agent I spoke to insisted on a GP number for the staying guest, but when I called back, I was able to add the names and convert the booking to GOH without any membership number.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In Japan they will definitely know if you do not show up.

The good thing is that in Japan they will definitely extend the GOH benefits if they know what GOH is. An email to the hotel to confirm the benefits would be a good idea. Then have tge guest print out that confirmation email in case there are any problems during check in.
+1. HR Osaka is a tad quirky, but they respond well to email and are really good with Diamond benefits. Drop them a line with the reservation number to confirm things, and everything should be fine.

On another note...should a Guest of Honor guest be allowed to check in at the lines/lounges reserved for elites?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
+1. HR Osaka is a tad quirky, but they respond well to email and are really good with Diamond benefits. Drop them a line with the reservation number to confirm things, and everything should be fine.

On another note...should a Guest of Honor guest be allowed to check in at the lines/lounges reserved for elites?
In the 20+ stays I've had at HR Osaka as a Diamond I've always found them to be extremely well-versed on the Diamond benefits and other parts of the GP program, so I would bet they will have not problem with GoH, but of course a quick email is probably always a good idea. With a little contact, there even a slight possibility that HR Osaka might offer a further upgrade to a Club Deluxe room. They get far fewer Diamond guests than places like Kyoto, Hakone, and Tokyo.

I would certainly encourage GoH guests to check-in at the lounge wherever that is possible, since those staff are usually better informed about Diamond benefits. If there is no lounge check-in, then they certainly are entitled to use the elite line at the FD. The upgraded status is guaranteed; no need to be shy about it.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I had a friend denied lounge access using my points two weeks ago at the HR Osaka. I complained afterwards via my Hyatt Concierge and immediately got a nice apology letter from the front desk manager and points posted to my account as a service recovery.

For two recent stays at the HR ORD and a stay at the HP Chicago River North, my guests were denied welcome amenities. They got lounge access both times at the HR ORD though.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevino
I had a friend denied lounge access using my points two weeks ago at the HR Osaka. I complained afterwards via my Hyatt Concierge and immediately got a nice apology letter from the front desk manager and points posted to my account as a service recovery.
That's great for you, but how did they make it up to your friend?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Indeed, my guest was embarrassed, and I reaped the benefit.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Guest Of Honor Embarassment

I booked the Guest of Honor weekend for an anniversary gift for my parents (75 & 70 years old). They were excited about the prospects because they have never had any kind of status with hotels and this particular hotel is one that they have enjoyed in the past.

Booked through Diamond Line, confirmed as Guest of Honor and then it was a disaster. Their check in they were told to go to the regular line, they had to get me on the phone to even verify that I booked the room as they had no idea what Guest of Honor was, they got know benefits at all and while they stayed, we ended up moving their stay elsewhere for a few days.

The entire thing was just awful and I chalked it up to just a terrible promotion despite good intentions. I filled out the survey that was sent after "my stay" and was contacted by the GM.

In speaking with the GM at the Hyatt Regency I booked for the Guest of Honor program, he explained that they dropped the ball. He told me they had no record of anything like Guest of Honor, or anything of the sort.

He said they were putting half the points 12k back into my account for the trouble. I did not reach out looking for something, or really anything at all. In fact I did not even reach out, just filled out the survey and stated my disappointment.

The communication was slow as they "investigated" the issue and came to their own resolution and said this is what they were doing. Hyatt wont get another Guest of Honor booking from me. This was an absolute embarrassment to someone celebrating their wedding anniversary in which you tell someone what they will receive and the hotel gives them virtually none of that and then tells them they and you are wrong.

While I have basically qualified for Diamond for 2016 already, I think I am going to do a bit more work on a different program, because this one really left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Hyatt, if you are listening, this program had some merit for both new business and existing, and its a disaster based on just about every person I have spoken with. Fix the program or abandon it, because someone trying to do something nice for someone else, and share their hard earned points as a gift, usually comes with all the wonderful things that Hyatt goes the extra mile with for their Diamond Members. With the execution however, it does nothing but make both Hyatt and the members look off base, and neither party wants that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.