Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt in D.C.?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
PH Definitely, GH good location wise, but nothing special..
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
GH is a much better location for seeing the DC sights and monuments. It sits on top of a metro station. I have stayed at the GH before and loved it. Just ask for a high floor room facing the street if lobby noise is a concern.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:13 pm

This seemed like the most recent PH DC thread, and I just booked it over the GH - we're returning to DC, where we lived for almost a decade, for a long weekend. I'm wondering are folks still getting Jr Suite upgrades as diamonds here, and are DSUs still booking into Park Suites (rather than the entry level Jr Suite)? I realize it's subjective, but for a 3 night long weekend with a kid, is this worth a DSU?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Which suite you get really is a YMMV situation. That said, we have never been disappointed with any of the suites we've gotten. We've been coming here for the last couple of years (usually 3 day weekends) with our son, now 6 (almost 7) and it remains our favorite non-resort Hyatt in the USA. The location obviously is not so great for sight-seeing, but burning a DSU here is way more than worth it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DErg
As a very frequent DC traveler I would definitely recommend the PH. I don't feel the rooms are dated at all. Well worth the $70 difference.
Me too, and I like the neighborhood and location, although it's about a six block walk to the Metro, including a bit of confusion around Washington Circle if you don't know DC.

The Hyatt at Rosslyn (across the river from Georgetown) is reasonable but has no club lounge. Metro access is excellent, with the hotel being on top of a major Metro station for connections/tansfers. It's on a direct line to DCA.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I'm not thrilled with either the GH or the PH in D.C. but have to make a choice for an upcoming stay. I've looked through the other threads and still cannot make up my mind. The Park Hyatt is only $70 more for my dates but the styling of the hotel isn't appealing to me at all. From what I've read recently, the room are in desperate need of a refresh. The GH is a huge convention hotel which makes that one unappealing too.

I'm thinking of ditching Hyatt all together for this stay in favor of higher end accommodations but that kind of breaks my heart in the tiniest of ways.
Why not stay at the Four Seasons? I do not understand having an emotional attachment to Hyatt or the GP program...

Otherwise, are you joking re PH vs. GH?! For a small uptick in room rate the PH is definitely a better value. As luxury mentioned, booking through a Virtuoso agent (or Amex FHR) will get you benefits that will help to offset the price difference.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by nhwiki
Which suite you get really is a YMMV situation. That said, we have never been disappointed with any of the suites we've gotten. We've been coming here for the last couple of years (usually 3 day weekends) with our son, now 6 (almost 7) and it remains our favorite non-resort Hyatt in the USA. The location obviously is not so great for sight-seeing, but burning a DSU here is way more than worth it.
I think I might go ahead and burn a DSU on this. I don't get a lot of PH stays any more, so I might as well not be stingy now only to save it and end up burning it just because it's expiring a year from now. It's hard to complain, but a lot of the Hyatts we visit will just put us in a suite without a DSU anyway - that's probably the benefit of leisure travel, we're there when they're not booked full with business travelers.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Me too, and I like the neighborhood and location, although it's about a six block walk to the Metro, including a bit of confusion around Washington Circle if you don't know DC.

The Hyatt at Rosslyn (across the river from Georgetown) is reasonable but has no club lounge. Metro access is excellent, with the hotel being on top of a major Metro station for connections/tansfers. It's on a direct line to DCA.
The West End is a nice neighborhood. The metro isn't too bad from there, but we lived in the area for a long time. It's funny, when we lived there, we lived near the orange line so we NEVER took the metro to/from DCA - transferring at Rosslyn from one sardine can to another with luggage was pretty miserable. But the PH being near enough to the blue line makes it pretty convenient.

It's probably not a location I'd recommend to sightseers who intend to walk, but at the same time, the hotel's sedan service or a cab provide cheap quick options to the tourist things.

We had our wedding reception at the Fairmont right across the street, so we used to go and stay there when we came back to visit. But hitting hyatt diamond now, it makes a lot more sense to stay at the PH - and not just because I'm looking forward to not paying for breakfast at BDT
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Why not stay at the Four Seasons? I do not understand having an emotional attachment to Hyatt or the GP program...

Otherwise, are you joking re PH vs. GH?! For a small uptick in room rate the PH is definitely a better value. As luxury mentioned, booking through a Virtuoso agent (or Amex FHR) will get you benefits that will help to offset the price difference.
GH vs PH is no question. I used to work in the building adjacent (1001 G St) and would walk through to get coffee in the morning, coming off the metro. The atrium was always loud and there was always some kind of convention going on. Hotels like that GH are the reason I AVOID Hyatts with club lounges - can you imagine what that place is going to look like on a weekday morning?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:21 pm

Could use some advice here. Looking to book a weekend during the last week of the Cherry Blossom festival on 4/11 through 4/13 and looking to take my daughter to the National Zoo on Sunday, so Saturday night and Sunday night. Stayed at the GH last year during the summer last year, liked it enough to look into booking using some GP points.

All things considered, a Park Deluxe King at the PH (20k) is roughly the same as a Grand Club King at the GH (21k). Never stayed at the PH before in DC, but did stay at the PH in San Diego, so would like to give it a stay. No award availability at the PH on Sunday however. Reading this thread I see a lot of strong opinions favoring the PH, but considering the difference in rooms, standard Deluxe King vs Grand Club, is the answer so cut and dry?

Is it worth staying one night at the PH on Sat, then moving over to the GH for Sunday? Or should I just book two nights at the GH in the Grand Club?

Also the GH main page shows that they're still doing construction on the lobby at the GH and that it'll reopen in April but my confirmation email states it's scheduled for May. How disruptive is the construction?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt

Jpark : I hope I don't get beat up for this reply but book both and wait to see if the PH Sunday opens up.

Replying to the PH suite questions, if you have the upgrade to burn, use it. otherwise the "regular" room is really very nice and an upgrade isn't needed (at least for diamonds). That being said, I burned an expiring upgrade for a night this past weekend and the suite was on a different scale than previous upgrades. Huge. As always YMMV.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:59 pm

Well, I have a 3 night stay coming up tomorrow and I just called in to apply a DSU. I figure if I'm not going to use them for a PH stay, what am I saving them for? Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:21 am

Three years later what is the verdict?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Three years later what is the verdict?
I’ve stayed at both and PH is by far my favourite. GH is too large. PH is very personal. We were upgraded to a Georgetown Suite which was huge. Excellent concierge. They got us into restaurants that were busy. Town Car took us around too. Breakfast was really nice too. Wonderful 5 star hotel.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I agree, Park Hyatt is significantly much nicer than Grand Hyatt. I would consider GH only if the price is much lower and I have to be at the Convention Center.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
PH is still the winner in hard product and in feeling like you're actually at home while you're there, but GH is useful for its purposes. Free valet on award stays makes it a great use of cat 1-4 award nights if you have a car. Proximity to business stuff in the area is prime if you have to be there. City Centre across the way is convenient. Getting from PH to Chinatown can take half an hour when it's bad.

And the GH lounge with generous $4 pours of spirits is a nice perk, and some of the attendants are really something special. I don't even stay there that often, but there's one who always seems to be there when I do, and when she sees me come in for an evening cocktail after the food is put away she immediately offers to make me a "snack plate" with bread, cheese, and breakfast meats to take back to my room -- hard to beat that after a long day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.