Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Earning Diamond Status for a Diamond's Spouse

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfung
Even if my wife is traveling alone, I use my name to book her room + add her as companion as if we were traveling together... When she checks in, she just normally says that her husband (me) is coming a bit later... she gets all the perks and I get the points.... I thought about signing up an account for her as well before, but the incremental benefits of having 2 separate GP accounts don't seem worthwhile..
This is clearly cheating and you seem to know it.

Frankly, as someone who earns Diamond status fair and square, I hope your account is audited and this fraud is caught and stopped.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Frankly, as someone who earns Diamond status fair and square, I hope your account is audited and this fraud is caught and stopped.
Maybe Hyatt aren't all that bothered as long as they get the revenue. They've just brought out the new Diamond benefit of allowing third parties most of the perks of Diamond if you book an award night for them with points from your account...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:26 am

^

Folks, this is why we cannot have nice things.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by RTW1
It could work.... But it takes a bit of effort, and having a diferent reservation for each night will probably get you some different room types during a stay.
I have often had multiple adjacent reservations (generally because I had enough points for some, not all, nights so I booked cash nights when they were cheapest and point nights for the others; sometimes adjacent cash reservations were cheaper than one through-reservation). I have never had to change rooms; sometimes I have to go to the front desk to check out and in, and get my key updated.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Most properties are pretty good at merging different adjacent reservations if they have the availability for whatever room type you have or they are willing to give you. Not much need to not get your keys for the duration of the stay.

But I've had to change a few times when I had different room types booked in peak periods. So it all depends.

And it might also be a bit different if you make the hotel do a different reservation for different accounts every night.....there's a reason they adapted the rules so multiple adjoining reserations will only get you one stay credit.

This will be a variation of that theme, and another way someone has found to maximise the challenge/trial. It's a sure way to get things changed or even cancelled like the last challenge.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:55 am

Most properties are pretty good at merging different adjacent reservations if they have the availability for whatever room type you have or they are willing to give you. Not much need to not get your keys for the duration of the stay.

But I've had to change a few times when I had different room types booked in peak periods. So it all depends.
I'm pretty sure that two people alternating nights on two separate GP accounts and payment details is a very different process to one person who has a series of reservations all under one name.

Whereas hotels can often link the reservations into one if they are all in one person's name, I don't think you can do the same if the next night is under a different name (unless you change the name, which will defeat the purpose of the exercise).

So the hotel will have to process an entire check-out and check-in process each day. Not only a pain in the *** for the reception staff, but also a higher chance of having to change rooms unless hotel is kinder than it needs to be.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I do appreciate the concern. Based on this discussion, spouse will earn Diamond. On multi-night stays with a suite upgrade, one person will book all the nights. On multi-night stays which are not suite upgrades, we will alternate nights (to get more points and more stay credits). Yes, this requires a checkin and checkout each night. It's still a positive. On many occasions, I move to a different hotel in order to maximum points and stay credits.

Does anyone know whether a diamond staying in the room gets the diamond welcome amenity? In my experience, the answer is "yes". I've been a diamond in the room (not the main guest) and have received all diamond benefits, including the welcome bonus. Does anyone have a different experience? I'm particularly interested in whether a diamond staying in the room can receive the welcome amenity in the form of points.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I haven't received the points when I was in a second room another GP member had booked. But I only gave my Diamond no at checkin, I did get club access then.

I didn't even asked for points (nor were they offered) because I always understood that they are awarded in combination with a stay/reservation. And since the reservation wasn't in my name, no points.

But I guess it all depends on how the property codes your stay and charges. I doubt there's any automation at work here since they regularly fail to post anyway.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 5: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4)

I'd venture to guess that your GP number would have to be on the folio for you to get the points, which then prevents the other person from getting the stay credit. That would defeat the whole purpose of your exercise
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It seems the GP people are reading threads and are closing loopholes in the new GP T&C's:

only the first member assigned to the reservation may earn points and tier status on the eligible room rate portion of the bill for which they personally pay.

The bolding is new.....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It seems the GP people are reading threads and are closing loopholes in the new GP T&C's:

only the first member assigned to the reservation may earn points and tier status on the eligible room rate portion of the bill for which they personally pay.

The bolding is new.....
That sounds more like two people split the bill, both got points (though the same total number) and night/stay credits.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's get real, if you alternate bookings for a multiple night stay you are gaming the system.... You might get the points, but I'm sure you will be complaining loudly when the hotel makes you move rooms or you have to recode your keys.

Don't be like Gekko.....
"gaming rhe system" is getting credits for someone else's stays...
Alternating nights with a spouse is perfectly within rules (and ultimately hyatt gets two customers when two travel separately) but one should expect issues with key recoding and possibly moving rooms as the system will treat all reservations as separate unless someone manully makes an adjustment... i would consider it in some special cases (good bonus, fhr bennies etc) but not under normal circumstances...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Report from One Week In

One Week into the plan, we have certainly become adept at confusing people. Front Desk staff can't figure out what we're doing or why. Gold Passport People at the home office give a different answer every time we ask a question, etc. The difficulty seems to center on how a "primary" guest is defined.

I wish there was a definitive answer to several questions. There are plenty of people who will give "an" answer but I wonder how we can get "the" answer?

1. Does a Diamond get the Welcome Amenity (bonus points) if he/she is not the primary guest?

2. Does a Diamond get club access, best available room, etc, if he/she is not the primary guest?

3. What makes someone a "primary" guest anyway? If it's a married couple, must the name on the credit card match the name of the primary guest?

4. If a married couple checks in and one of them is the primary guest ... then the next morning they check out ... then they check right back in and the OTHER spouse is the primary guest for the second night ... is that two stays?

5. If a Diamond is registered and gets club access, and then the club is closed unexpectedly, must the Diamond be the Primary Guest in order to get the Closed Club (2500 points) bonus?

6. (For later on, if we survive the next 8 nights): If two Diamonds check in to a room, do they each get a Welcome Amenity?

= = = =

Nobody is asking for double points, double stay credits, etc. We just want to be able to name the person who receives stay credit, based upon our preference and/or whim. "Who gets stay credit?" should not affect the benefits (welcome amenity, club access, etc.) a Diamond receives. Reason: a diamond gets those benefits regardless, even if nobody gets stay credit (i.e. an award night).

= = = =

Opinions abound and everyone seems to have a different one. For now, our strategy is to just let the hotel post the points any old way they choose. After the stay, we'll contact Gold Passport for any needed correction.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:46 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
In short: We're trying to game the system in every possible way and noone at Hyatt will confirm our strategy.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
SquareDanceGuy, I commend you on you and your wife's innovative approach to hotel hopping. You guys have taken it to a whole different level without actually hopping. Brilliant!

Now, please don't ask FTers to do your work for you. Read the T&C and find out your exact entitlements. If I came up with this idea, I'd expect alternating Diamond/Plat benefits until my wife achieved Diamond. It sounds like you're angling for double Diamond benefits regardless of who's listed on the reservation. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered - keep that in mind when you're pushing for as many benefits as you're discussing here.

For shats and grins, allow me to answer your questions. I wrote my answers in millennial speak so you can understand how stoopid most of these questions are:
1) R U SRius? FU. NO. FU for even asking.
2) Maybe. RU going to pull a DYKWIA or are you going to ask nicely? No assurance either way. The DYKWIA will relegate you to V8 Hyatt-wide.
3) RUF SRius? The person whose name the reservation is under. SRiusLY?
4) Yes, you know that. And you've just admitted that you understand the definition of primary guest. ... WYF did you waste our time with the previous questions?????
5) YES. Stoopid questyun.
6) NO. Beyond stoopid questyun.

Dude, you are stretching things to the point where you're begging to get kicked out of the HGP program. I can't even believe you're trying to milk things that far - I and other FTers take advantage of loopholes, but these questions are beyond common sense. Again, Kudos on the alternating nights with spouse, but don't be stoopid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.