Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Didn't show up for an Award reservation and was charged in $

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

I had a reservation for a one night award, but couldn't make it and it was not cancelled in time.

However I saw later that my points were never taken out of my account, but I was charged on my credit card for a full night. Is there a logic for that?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by walterD
I had a reservation for a one night award, but couldn't make it and it was not cancelled in time.

However I saw later that my points were never taken out of my account, but I was charged on my credit card for a full night. Is there a logic for that?
Yes. That's what the cancellation policy says they will do if you no show on an award.

It's always a good idea to read cancellation rules before you book.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Its standard - and usually appears in bright red on your confirmation.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob

There was a thread dedicated to your question created just days ago. I'd suggest reading it (before the nasty personal attacks at the end; which lead to it being locked). I don't know how to copy links to threads, but it was titled "Terrible T&C on award stay and awful CS"

As to the "logic", I suspect from the hotels point of view, if you had cancelled earlier, they could have got a paying customer into the room, rather than it going unoccupied. I'm sure there are tons of other reasons (which other FTers will no doubt be quick to point out in grave detail) but that's probably the short version...
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
As to the "logic", I suspect from the hotels point of view, if you had cancelled earlier, they could have got a paying customer into the room, rather than it going unoccupied.
That is undoubtedly what the hotel would assert if you sued them. Although it does seem like an unenforceable penalty, since the hotel had already agreed to accept the specified number of points for the room.

In any event, while rather consumer unfriendly, this is an industry-wide practice.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was a thread dedicated to your question created just days ago. I'd suggest reading it (before the nasty personal attacks at the end; which lead to it being locked). I don't know how to copy links to threads, but it was titled "Terrible T&C on award stay and awful CS"
That thread was recently closed by the moderators - but you can still read it.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is undoubtedly what the hotel would assert if you sued them. Although it does seem like an unenforceable penalty, since the hotel had already agreed to accept the specified number of points for the room.

In any event, while rather consumer unfriendly, this is an industry-wide practice.
It probably also has to do with how point redemptions are reimbursed. They will hold the room but a no-show doesn't count in the occupancy percentage. And if that's low a property gets next to nothing.

And besides that, it's a part of the cancellation policy.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Correct...Which is why I said "I'd suggest reading it (before the nasty personal attacks at the end; which lead to it being locked).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct...Which is why I said "I'd suggest reading it (before the nasty personal attacks at the end; which lead to it being locked).
Yes, and I followed up w/a direct link to the thread
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me think it is Chase free nights again. Some simply don't care much about them.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
It's very naughty to charge like this. It seems like the hotel actually makes more money if you never turn up for your award reservation than if you do. Although in the T&C, you could give the hotel itself a call and you might get lucky. I suspect though that you might not have cancelled the stay at all, rather than cancelling it late? However late, it's still worth calling up to cancel bookings (I was able to cancel several bookings on the day, up to even 10pm!! without getting charged in the past). If you don't call at all, then of course they're going to charge fully according to the T&C, and this does not only apply to Hyatt.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I don't agree with this as they shouldn't be able to raise the price on you for not showing up, but here is what their policy says

Hyatt Gold Passport award reservations are subject to the cancellation policy of the individual property at which member is redeeming an award. If member does not follow proper hotel cancellation policy or if member does not check into the hotel, the credit card provided with the reservation will be charged in accordance with the hotel’s cancellation or no-show policy. These policies vary by hotel and each hotel’s cancellation policy can be found on the hotel’s website on hyatt.com, by calling the hotel directly, or by contacting the local Worldwide Reservation Center.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I almost let this happen on New Years, I was sick and ended up giving away my room to a friend last minute and wouldn't have even guessed that they could charge more had I not given it to someone else to use.

Maybe Hyatt prefer you go to a homeless shelter and let 4 people have a nicer room for the night so you don't get overcharged However overall, this might just be a problem you could have resolved directly with the hotel, we don't really have enough detail. I personally don't believe my hotel would have charged me extra for missing my New Years reservation, but I have a good relationship with them
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dlandz
I don't agree with this as they shouldn't be able to raise the price on you for not showing up, but here is what their policy says.
The policy is quite clear..... and it's not raising the price. Every type of rate you book (even awards) is linked to a specific cancellation policy. That's the total of your booking that is set at the time of booking.
MOST of the time a cancellation will cost you one night at the rate you booked, but in reality it can be anything. From multiple nights to a different amount, although that doesn't happen often.... but it does, at least for awards.

It might not be consumer friendly but in my opinion cancellation policies at hotels tend to be fair as a whole. Show me another product in this area where you (normally) get offered a 4/6pm cancellation option for something that isn't worth that much anymore at that time.

And after all, this can easily be avoided by cancelling within the set time.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. That's what the cancellation policy says they will do if you no show on an award.

It's always a good idea to read cancellation rules before you book.
The penalty amount of money hasn't been mentioned at the time of reservation. And some of these no-show reservation charges in money have hit customers where the reservation says "free night".

Hyatt should clean it up, for they are already on vulnerable legal grounds.

For those who feel they just missed the cancellation deadline: as long as the check-in day hasn't been missed, have you tried to call to change the reservation date and then do a cancellation that doesn't get hit by the cancel deadline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.