Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can I "delay" GP points deduction for redemption bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

I am planning a redemption stay 2 months from now at one of the Hyatt properties, but I am a tad short of the number of GP points required.

But I am booked on a few paid stays over the coming month, so I know after my paid stays are credited, I will definitely have enough points for the intended redemption stay.

I would like to secure the redemption stay now if possible (while there is still availability) but without having to top up by buying extra GP points - knowing that I would earn them in my stays over the coming month but before the actual redemption stay.

Is this at all possible? In the past I noticed GP points were deducted from account at the time of booking, can I "delay" the deduction until my new points are earned? Or plunge my GP account into "temporary" points shortage?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:15 am

I believe they allow Diamond members to do so, but I'm pretty sure all other tiers are not allowed.

It doesn't mention your Hyatt tier in your profile or in your post so I'm not sure whether you would be covered or not.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:18 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stargold
I believe they allow Diamond members to do so, but I'm pretty sure all other tiers are not allowed.

It doesn't mention your Hyatt tier in your profile or in your post so I'm not sure whether you would be covered or not.
+1. If you're Diamond, yes. Otherwise you need to purchase or convert points from another program to make the reservation.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Yup. On a slightly different note, I even applied a DSU that I don't yet have to a reservation in September. They know I'll be getting them regardless.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've had the redemption postponed once or twice due to lack of points and was told this is a benefit to diamonds.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
P+C option

I was short points early last year, and purchased points to make up the shortage (as a Platinum). In retrospect, a better option would have been the Points+Cash program instead. It tends to be much more cost-effective than points purchase.

Perhaps you can do P+C on the first night, and points for the rest? You can always go back and switch to all points later, as long as it's still available on those dates.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Interesting, never knew this option existed.. Any idea how much they can let you borrow or is that determined on case-by-case basis, i.e. based on upcoming reservations.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
Yup. On a slightly different note, I even applied a DSU that I don't yet have to a reservation in September. They know I'll be getting them regardless.
Interesting. Based on a recent conversation with my private line agent, I would have assumed that this is not possible.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Interesting. Based on a recent conversation with my private line agent, I would have assumed that this is not possible.
Seemed to be very YMMV but I am confirmed into a suite. I have had DSU come out at time of stay before, so I am assuming it will be the case with this one. My argument was that I am getting the 4 DSU no matter what, so there isn't any real harm.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Interesting, never knew this option existed.. Any idea how much they can let you borrow or is that determined on case-by-case basis, i.e. based on upcoming reservations.
It's probably case-by-case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.