Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Florida Property for long-weekend, family getaway?

Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Looking for thoughts on at Hyatt property that would be great for a long weekend for a family of three. It would be my wife, 11 year-old son, and myself. We will be visiting in late March. We are looking for something on the beach but with other things nearby. We will likely be using points so a good value would be a a plus, too. Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Hyatt, unlike Marriott, does not have many beachfront properties in Florida, unfortunately. Seems like your choices are limited to Clearwater Beach, Key West, Coconut Point, and maybe the Hyatt Places at Delray beach and Daytona. Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale is not on the ocean. I cant comment on the various Residence Club properties.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:52 pm

Bear in mind, Spring Break lasts many weeks here in Florida because different school districts take different weeks off. For 2015, the peak dates are March 28 to April 12.

Although you might get lucky, I wouldn't expect to find any deals for the last weekend in March.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:50 pm

I've stayed at the Hyatt in Clearwater Beach several times with my wife and kids, and I think it would be a good choice for your family. All of the rooms have full kitchens, the location is great with many dining options all within easy walking distance, and the beach is fantastic. We've always gone in early May, and because things are slower around that time, we've been upgraded to at least a one-bedroom suite (got a two-bedroom suite on one occasion.) But if you're planning on late March, I wouldn't except anything like that due to the Spring Break crowds.

Last year we stayed at the Hyatt Windward Point in Key West for a week, and that property was great as well. It has great views, but it is not beachfront. However, the beach is a short 2-3 minute drive down the road.

Oh, regarding Clearwater Beach, I believe that they've broken ground on a new massive hotel right next door to the Hyatt just a week or so ago, so that might need to be taken into consideration...due to the construction noise and all.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I echo clearwater. Being a timeshare, a SUG is typically to a 1 BR unit with a full kitchen
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:02 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Grand Cypress has more things to do at the hotel itself than the Hyatt Clearwater, but the later has kitchen facilities in all rooms while the Grand Cypress does not.

The Grand Cypress has an artificial beach along its "lake" -- which is better than the "beach" next to the Hyatt Key West.

The Hyatt Clearwater doesn't consistently upgrade Diamonds to 1 bedroom suites, but even the standard rooms at the Clearwater property are significantly larger than the standard rooms at the Grand Cypress one. The Grand Cypress has a Regency Club but the Clearwater property does not.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
I just stayed at the Regency Downtown Miami and the Grand Cypress Orlando. Obviously, you have two VERY different options when it comes to your weekend. If you just want a beach and general activities type weekend, Miami/Fort Lauderdale would be my recommendation. The Miami Zoo is incredible... with a huge aviary, camel rides, Rhinoceros feeding, and tons more. You also can do an airboat ride in the everglades, I highly recommend that. I don't think there are any great beach Hyatt's, but nothing a short drive can't handle. Using points for the Downtown Miami will set you back 12,000 a night... for this reason, I'd recommend the Grand Cypress Orlando... for 15,000 a night, you get a resort instead of just a hotel. I had no complaints with the Hyatt Miami, but you don't even need to leave the Grand Cypress with all their activities... rock climbing, paddleboats, pool with waterslide, waterfalls, and more. If you haven't been to any of the Disney Parks though, I'd recommend trying out one or two if you end up in Orlando (I did Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom this time around)... even if you don't want to do a park, Downtown Disney is about a mile or two from the resort, and offers plenty of activities.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
hyatt bonita springs. Get hotel with great service lots to do nearby.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:45 pm

I'd also recommend the Grand Cypress. We were just there last month and the entire family was pleasantly surprised by how many activities the property had to offer. While the parking and resort fees were irksome, the property was top notch. The club staff were amazing and the offerings were plentiful. Overall, we liked GC better than the Hyatt Clearwater, and found the service to be much better.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MSlyeGirl
I'd also recommend the Grand Cypress. We were just there last month and the entire family was pleasantly surprised by how many activities the property had to offer. While the parking and resort fees were irksome, the property was top notch. The club staff were amazing and the offerings were plentiful. Overall, we liked GC better than the Hyatt Clearwater, and found the service to be much better.
+1, except if you're planning on using points for your stay, you won't have to pay the $25/night resort fee. Parking is 17/night for self-parking, 25/night valet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.