Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MDWCommuter
Just a process question: does anyone know if DSUs are take from your account at time of booking or at time of stay?
Booking.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
This has been the case for me as well but my point is that Hyatt, as a Diamond benefit, has allowed members to making point bookings without having the required points up front. Other posters have mentioned this working for P&C along with full points bookings. In my communication with Hyatt, they are only allowing this on full points bookings and will not allow a P&C booking without the required points up front.
I booked a P+C reservation with only half the points needed for a stay later this year. The reservations agent didn't even mention that I didn't have sufficient points. He just booked it. I'm Diamond, and I thought it was standard. I now see that I got lucky perhaps.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just a process question: does anyone know if DSUs are take from your account at time of booking or at time of stay?
Missed that new page....

At the time of booking... (it might take a few hours for your account to show that).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I booked a P+C reservation with only half the points needed for a stay later this year. The reservations agent didn't even mention that I didn't have sufficient points. He just booked it. I'm Diamond, and I thought it was standard. I now see that I got lucky perhaps.
I think it should be standard.... what would be the difference anyway. Probably a little training required.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks @kacee and @rtw1!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:40 am

IME this varies from agent to agent, so it may be just a training issue. Some will book it with a reminder that the points must be in your account by the time of stay. Once I was changing dates on a P+C that had been booked this way (advance of points) and the agent was confused as to why she could not change the dates because my account was not showing enough points. I believe she would have done it had I insisted, but it so happened I was changing dates to shorten my stay anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
My experience has been time of booking when booking the DSU through Hyatt res line or via the GP Concierge here on FT, but for the couple of times I booked the DSU directly with the hotel, it was not taken until the time of stay. One of those was booked only a few days in advance but the other was booked many months in advance and using a DSU that would expire prior to the stay if not applied, so I contacted the hotel to make sure they took the DSU before it expired.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:23 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This varies from property to property. Generally at booking, but sometimes a week before check in, at check in or even months after a stay.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just had a call with GP about a points or P+C reservation..... the answer was no points advance over 1k even for Diamonds. I don't really believe that, but the agent said it was a new rule that was implemented in January.
And now I need to call again because for a P+C reservation that I cancelled the points weren't refunded.

Great to flood the market with free nights and points discounts but restrict things for others .
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by RTW1
Great to flood the market with free nights and points discounts but restrict things for others .
+1.

And I fear the new restrictions were initiated by all those guys taking advantage of Hyatt starting with the infamous zero sum invoice from the FFN days to just applying for the cc. without any intention to stick around.

Reminds me of fast food chains celebrating higher revenue due to many new years without realizing that revenues at older stores from old (loyal) guests are decreasing...

At least in my book, this is a nice summary of what happened over the last 2-3 years.

And one free night for 100 stays is still less than two nights for a credit card application.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
I just had a call with GP about a points or P+C reservation..... the answer was no points advance over 1k even for Diamonds. I don't really believe that, but the agent said it was a new rule that was implemented in January.
And now I need to call again because for a P+C reservation that I cancelled the points weren't refunded.

HUCA didn't help?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It was part of a longer call, I've now asked the hotel to open up P+C. If they do that, I'll have the discussion about points. But since I've now received the points for the cancelled reservations I'm good to go anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Should be at booking, but I'm having issues with a hotel having grabbed a 2015 DSU instead of a 2014 one (I booked in late February and wanted to use an expiring DSU).
Old May 16, 2015, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
That is really nice to know. I don't like points only stays because they don't count toward your annual stay/night requirements, but C&P does. Since I usually end up 'wasting' one or two DSUs every year, I'll have to start trying C&P + DSU in the future if I'm not able to get a regular C&P room.
Called HGP to book P+C at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo, but was told there was no availability. Wrote to the property and asked if they could book a P+C+DSU for me, and I received the confirmation mail within ten minutes. ^
Old May 16, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Called HGP to book P+C at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo, but was told there was no availability. Wrote to the property and asked if they could book a P+C+DSU for me, and I received the confirmation mail within ten minutes. ^
I've seen similar posts for other properties having success with the property directly after being denied by GP or central res. It is definitely an option to try before giving up. Some properties will also confirm into a premium room if the entry-level suite is not available, which is better than just letting the DSU expire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.