Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Suite Upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You can book the cash and points without the points required as a Diamond benefit, and apply the DSU instantly. If you change dates post tomorrow you will lose the DSU.
I made a reservation a few days ago where the Hyatt representative claimed P&C was unable to be booked without all points required up front but full points booking would have been allowed. Could have been just a HUCA situation but I just transferred the necessary points to my account to be done with it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by stargold
As I understand it, there is an entirely separate inventory for the C+P plus DSU, as opposed to booking into the C+P first, then applying the DSU on the reservation afterwards. So it is managed differently from a normal paid booking plus DSU, and hotels seem to take this opportunity to differentiate the inventory.

This has the unintended (and potentially lucrative) benefit that some properties will show no base rooms, no C+P, but will allow C+P plus DSU because the suite (and the associated C+P plus DSU) inventory remains available.
I ran into this last year at the PH Chicago. No base rooms available on C+P but could do C+P and DSU.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by stargold
As I understand it, there is an entirely separate inventory for the C+P plus DSU, as opposed to booking into the C+P first, then applying the DSU on the reservation afterwards. So it is managed differently from a normal paid booking plus DSU, and hotels seem to take this opportunity to differentiate the inventory.

This has the unintended (and potentially lucrative) benefit that some properties will show no base rooms, no C+P, but will allow C+P plus DSU because the suite (and the associated C+P plus DSU) inventory remains available.
That is really nice to know. I don't like points only stays because they don't count toward your annual stay/night requirements, but C&P does. Since I usually end up 'wasting' one or two DSUs every year, I'll have to start trying C&P + DSU in the future if I'm not able to get a regular C&P room.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:08 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Nehawk
I made a reservation a few days ago where the Hyatt representative claimed P&C was unable to be booked without all points required up front but full points booking would have been allowed. Could have been just a HUCA situation but I just transferred the necessary points to my account to be done with it.
Poorly trained agent. I have C+P booked for December that I don't have the points yet.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:02 pm

HUCA stands for "hang up call again"? I like that acronym, and it is always the best way to deal with a poorly trained, incompetent, or surly telephone rep!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
It's my first year as Diamond, and I'm looking for guidance from more seasoned travelers.

I tried twice to use a DSU at HR Waikiki and GH Kauai but was unsuccessful due to lack of availability. I assumed it's because using DSU in Hawaii is popular and booking in advance is key.

Now I'm trying to use a DSU at HR Maui in mid October, but again there's no availability which is extremely disappointing. The agent said that DSU books into Lahaina suite, and when I checked which days the suite was available to book with $$$, it appears to be available on 5 of the 6 nights. The last night is the one in which there's no availability. I assume it's the last night that is the problem with applying a DSU to my reservation. Unfortunately I can't change my dates to make the DSU work.

So what should I do now? Here are the options that I've considered, not sure which one is more feasible or even possible.

#1 ask to have the DSU applied to the first 5 nights and then move to a regular room for the last night
#2 ask to have the DSU applied to the first 5 nights and then book a Napili suite for the last night
#3 not use DSU at all and hope for an upgraded room
#4 contact hotel directly to see if there's any way I can use DSU and somehow stay in suite for entire stay

Thoughts?

ERQ
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Book asap for the dates it's available and keep checking availability after that..... If the last night still isn't available be prepared to change rooms, 5 nights on a DSU there is pretty decent. Contacting the hotel a little closer to your stay about your options for that last night might be smart as well.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
It's my first year as Diamond, and I'm looking for guidance from more seasoned travelers.

I tried twice to use a DSU at HR Waikiki and GH Kauai but was unsuccessful due to lack of availability. I assumed it's because using DSU in Hawaii is popular and booking in advance is key.

Now I'm trying to use a DSU at HR Maui in mid October, but again there's no availability which is extremely disappointing. The agent said that DSU books into Lahaina suite, and when I checked which days the suite was available to book with $$$, it appears to be available on 5 of the 6 nights. The last night is the one in which there's no availability. I assume it's the last night that is the problem with applying a DSU to my reservation. Unfortunately I can't change my dates to make the DSU work.

So what should I do now? Here are the options that I've considered, not sure which one is more feasible or even possible.

#1 ask to have the DSU applied to the first 5 nights and then move to a regular room for the last night
#2 ask to have the DSU applied to the first 5 nights and then book a Napili suite for the last night
#3 not use DSU at all and hope for an upgraded room
#4 contact hotel directly to see if there's any way I can use DSU and somehow stay in suite for entire stay

Thoughts?

ERQ
Do 1, without worrying about the last night. Then, after booking the Nap suite and a regular room for the last night on separate reservations which can be cancelled, call up and see how they may work with you so you can stay in the same room all nights. This doesn't always work out to avoid changing a room, but it works enough that it is worth trying.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Thanks for the input.

It sounds like I should make 2 separate reservations - 5 nights and add DSU, then 1 night for a regular room. I gather it's not possible to apply a DSU to only a portion of the current (6 night) reservation. Correct?

ERQ
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler
Thanks for the input.

It sounds like I should make 2 separate reservations - 5 nights and add DSU, then 1 night for a regular room. I gather it's not possible to apply a DSU to only a portion of the current (6 night) reservation. Correct?

ERQ
Yes, definitely do Choice 1.

As for GH Kauai, I have booked and applied my DSU 1yr in advance (for 7 days in Aug) as it books into a Garden Suite which there is only 4 such rooms. So it goes really fast and would not be surprised if it will not open up again.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Poorly trained agent. I have C+P booked for December that I don't have the points yet.
Tried again to make a C&P booking with points advanced. Was told again that the diamond benefit of being able to make a points booking without the required points up front was only valid for full points bookings.

This was also confirmed by Gold Passport Concierge on this forum. Maybe they've recently made a change or became more consistent in enforcement of this benefit.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
C+P points

Whenever I have done C+P, the points have always been deducted at time of booking.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:08 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Exactly. When I do a Cash + Points booking, the points are deducted immediately. It shows on account details as "Award". The check-out date is the date the booking was made.

After the stay has occurred, it still shows up "Award" but now it has the actual check-in and check-out dates of the stay.
Originally Posted by shakim
Whenever I have done C+P, the points have always been deducted at time of booking.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by shakim
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Exactly. When I do a Cash + Points booking, the points are deducted immediately. It shows on account details as "Award". The check-out date is the date the booking was made.

After the stay has occurred, it still shows up "Award" but now it has the actual check-in and check-out dates of the stay.
This has been the case for me as well but my point is that Hyatt, as a Diamond benefit, has allowed members to making point bookings without having the required points up front. Other posters have mentioned this working for P&C along with full points bookings. In my communication with Hyatt, they are only allowing this on full points bookings and will not allow a P&C booking without the required points up front.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just a process question: does anyone know if DSUs are take from your account at time of booking or at time of stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.