Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gold Passport survey--Diamond status w/50K spend? (Chase Credit Card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Passport survey--Diamond status w/50K spend? (Chase Credit Card)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Of course this totally excludes non-US members!
Again.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
[SIZE=1]I absolutely detest the idea of giving Diamond status away with cc spend.
Totally agree, but mostly because I don't want another reason for a "fake diamond" discussion on this forum now that the Diamond Trial is on hiatus.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iherebyresign
I've always wondered - What kind of revenue stream is created for Hyatt (or United, Marriott, AA, etc) from co-branded credit cards? Does anyone have the insider info?
Not really insider info, but:

http://www.crmtrends.com/CreditCardP...dedCreditCards

There are three primary partnership structures that exist with banks (many deals involve a combination of some, if not all):

a) Volume Based: Merchant partner receives royalty payment on credit card sales volume (60 - 80 bps), and in some cases, new account bounties (Range from $5 - $100+)

b) Revenue Sharing: Merchant partner receives a share of the finance charges/late fees

c) Profit Sharing: Merchant partner receives a percentage (50 - 100%) of all profit above the bank's targeted return

While your co-brand consultant will be focused on the financials (after all that is how they are paid), it will be incumbent upon you to look beyond financials in reviewing potential bank partners. You not only want a vision and cultural fit, you will also want a customer fit. What we mean by that is, will your chosen bank give credit to your customers and will they give appropriate credit lines for your customers? This is an often over looked area in choosing a partner bank as consultants tend to get dazed by the outrageous sums of money garnered for solid brands.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Markie
Of course this totally excludes non-US members!
Again.
You could try to find your namesakes in the US and see if any such persons are willing to sign up to use a relevant credit card and deposit the points/awards in your loyalty program account.

I'm joking, but this kind of thing has already happened at least once.

On a more serious note, I expect that Hyatt will want to incentivize spending way more money on the Hyatt credit cards than is currently the case. Something like Diamond for $50,000 of credit card spend would help Hyatt get what Hyatt wants to get from Chase Bank.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I'm done... if they do this, I'm going to quit hyatt and start staying exclusively at Motel6 and Red Roof Inn.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:57 am

Seems like an awfully large jump to go from currently giving your 20% of Diamond status for 40k in spend to getting full Diamond for another 10k. I mean, lets not kid ourselves. There are plenty of people who will just MS that 50k in a month. That is idiotic to offer. I don't mind giving 5 stays/10 nights at 40k like they do now. The card generates revenue sadly, and that is really the whole point of the game, but I don't think it needs to be any steeper than that.

And for those who think it is no big deal, I think the main opposition is from people who find that Hyatt Diamond historically has very great value and treatment for the customers, and they don't want it to become something more akin to IHG Plat or HH Diamond, which are far less valuable and have corresponding reduced benefits given their ease of acquisition.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Horrible idea. Just horrible.

this is on par with giving away diamond status at the start of a challenge.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:18 am

For those of you so worried about this, just to play devil's advocate....

How much do you think people who would get Diamond from this are actually staying at Hyatts? I imagine the actual impact would be smaller than you think.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
I actually like seeing Hyatt considering options for Diamond status and can understand why they ended the Diamond challenge promotion as that opened up the flood gates. However, $50,000 spend for Diamond would not attract me as other cards give far greater value for less annual spend.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:59 am

I would rather like the idea of getting 1 suite upgrade and free breakfast for two (or up to 4 - good for 3 days or something) for every $15,000 spent. Most people want Diamond for their great breakfast and suite upgrades so why not reward people for spending and hyatt gets people in their hotels. Just my random thought...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by nowstime
I would rather like the idea of getting 1 suite upgrade and free breakfast for two (or up to 4 - good for 3 days or something) for every $15,000 spent. Most people want Diamond for their great breakfast and suite upgrades so why not reward people for spending and hyatt gets people in their hotels. Just my random thought...
This. I don't need the suite upgrades. Give me breakfast instead with $50k spend and I'd be thrilled.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:15 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Terrible idea. Dilutes the Hyatt brand and dilutes the Gold Passport program.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Here's what I saw proposed:

Another interesting proposal in the survey was 10% back on point redemptions.

Mod- Perhaps this thread should moved to the existing credit card thread?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Frindle
For those of you so worried about this, just to play devil's advocate....

How much do you think people who would get Diamond from this are actually staying at Hyatts? I imagine the actual impact would be smaller than you think.
The same MS crowd who abused the status match program and managed to get it killed.

For some of them, spending $50k on a credit card is all in a months' work.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'm done... if they do this, I'm going to quit hyatt and start staying exclusively at Motel6 and Red Roof Inn.
I hear that they have some sweet suite upgrades for their top tier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.