Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Getting to Diamond Via Stays Versus Nights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie with what might be a simple question - I couldn't find an answer anywhere. I'm planning to qualify for Diamond for the first time this year. I've read in a number places (mostly blogs) that it's "easier" to qualify via the 25 stays versus the 50 nights, and I was wondering why that would be. Right now based on my travel patters I'm finding it much easier to do via nights, although it's going to take a long time (10+ months).

Do people move hotels each night during a stay? Neither my employer nor my family would tolerate that too well. Mattress runs? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It depends on your travel patterns. For some it's easier on stays, for others, on nights. I can think of at least a few posters here that do it on nights.

And yes, some people do move hotels every night if they're making it on stays.

Or they start doing mattress runs early in the year when they find inexpensive properties they can use.

Keep in mind that those blogs are mostly opinions - and out to get you to sign up for a credit card

Generally speaking, here is where you'll get the low down ^^

Last edited by Mary2e; Feb 4, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! So many bloggers made reference to stays being better, I was sure I was missing something.

I'd have no problem moving every night when I travel for work, but I know our expense accounting department would have a fit.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

For me, stays are better, as almost all my travel now is personal. This year I might get close on nights, but I don't have 50 nights of vacation time

I top off what I need doing mattress runs to inexpensive properties as I find them during the year.

The bloggers are probably referring to stays being easier/cheaper because if you live near an inexpensive Hyatt, it IS easier to just hop in for 1 night during the weekend, or just go there to check in, leave and go about your business.

It really is a matter of your travel patterns and how likely/easy it is to get there with stays or nights.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:48 pm

Our personal experience

DH did diamond challenge years ago and was hooked on the benefits and priviledges of diamond status. Over the years Hyatt has treated us very well and we've gotten used to it. Initially there were also offers where stays would add up for free nights (FFN) so hopping around would get stay credit as well as gaining free nights (vs using points). Unfortunately those days have been gone for several years now. In the begining of the year DH has a bit of travel, when there's two Hyatt brand hotels he will hop between two (especially if pricing is close)... thus picking up stays quickly. This helps chip away at the 25 needed to requalify... some times we have been traveling where there isn't a hyatt option... so come september or so start accessing what will be needed to top off the account earnings. This year he requalified for Diamond on stays first and then almost a month later, with nights. This was the first time for him... he had a long stay in Germany and was using points & cash. -- which gets the stay credits as well as reducing the actual spending.
He now travels on our dime for business so he has to access the spend vs options. As usual, right now he's got 5 stays done for year (and 6 nights). This is typical for January... but February will probably be just spending Chase free nights & and using points since the nightly rate is high.
Good luck
Carolyn
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by sfmom
Do people move hotels each night during a stay? Neither my employer nor my family would tolerate that too well.
Why would your employer care? They're all about the rate, and if booked through CW or whatever travel portal you use it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've read in a number places (mostly blogs) that it's "easier" to qualify via the 25 stays versus the 50 nights, and I was wondering why that would be.
Because 25 stays can be done for as little as 25 nights. 50 nights requires a minimum of 50 nights. That's twice the number of nights to qualify on nights vs. stays. Think about it.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Hi,

I've read in a number places (mostly blogs) that it's "easier" to qualify via the 25 stays versus the 50 nights, and I was wondering why that would be.

Thanks
Totally depends on your travel pattern.

For some people 1 night stay x 25 times is easier

for some 10 night stay x 5 times is easier.

I am on the latter half - as most of my trips are longer than a week. 10 nights @ GH HK, 8 nights in HR Perth (yuck), 11 night in PH Beijing, etc, and bunch of 10+ day stays at Hyatt Houses
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Why would your employer care? They're all about the rate, and if booked through CW or whatever travel portal you use it shouldn't be an issue.
Our expense fulfillment is really uptight. They will query a hotel bill even if the format is the tiniest bit different to them. A total pain. Plus my husband will not change hotels on vacation for status. So stays ends up being easier for me.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Our expense fulfillment is really uptight. They will query a hotel bill even if the format is the tiniest bit different to them. A total pain. Plus my husband will not change hotels on vacation for status. So stays ends up being easier for me.
I wouldn't change hotels on vacation - thats a PITA. Interesting @ expense department.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The real challenge is 25 1-night stays without repeating a single Hyatt!

Might get you one of the special gifts for staying in 25/50/75/100 different Hyatt hotels...

In all seriousness, one of the advantages of switching hotels each night is to get the 1000 point diamond amenity for each "stay". So although potentially more of a PITA, you do get rewarded for it.

However, like others have mentioned, I wouldn't really want to explain to corporate why I felt it necessary on a long business trip to switch hotels every night in the same city for personal reasons rather than staying in the same place and being more relaxed / productive.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Hi,

I'm a relative newbie with what might be a simple question - I couldn't find an answer anywhere. I'm planning to qualify for Diamond for the first time this year. I've read in a number places (mostly blogs) that it's "easier" to qualify via the 25 stays versus the 50 nights, and I was wondering why that would be. Right now based on my travel patters I'm finding it much easier to do via nights, although it's going to take a long time (10+ months).

Do people move hotels each night during a stay? Neither my employer nor my family would tolerate that too well. Mattress runs? Just making sure I'm not missing something.

Thanks
I have done both. For 6 years I was a road warrior, frequently changed hotel at least twice a week, sometimes all 3 nights I was out. I was able to maintain top tier in Hyatt, SPG and Hilton. In 2014, I did not have work travel until q4. We had stayed at a lot of SPG for my sons travel baseball schedule and college visits. I elected to not maintain HH Diamond as I have the HH AMEX and will stay gold. I resumed travel in q4 and humped butt to renew my HGP diamond by changing hotels 2-3 times a week and HATED it.

I have been spending 3 nights a week in a Hyatt place. Once I meet my threshold for the promo (next Thursday night), I will switch to the local 4points. It was hard in the beginning, but I am now used to unpacking and relaxing a little rather than hopping.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
I did the hotel hopping once while on a business trip - four nights at four different hyatts. Accounting gave me a few funny looks and questioned why I would do that, but processed reimbursement without any problem. I probably wouldn't do it again unless I was in dire need of stay credit.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
When Moving Hotels on Business Makes Sense. . .and Just Happens to Churn Stays Too

Back when I was in hotels way too much on business I would move hotels when there was a real business reason to be on one side of town for a day or two but different location quite some distance away the next; just to avoid morning rush in a strange town. Totally defensible. Even a good idea. Also makes more sense to stay at the airport hotel first or last night to avoid a rental car day. Just so happens you get more stays that way also. What a coincidence. The airport thing even makes sense on vacation.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jayer
Back when I was in hotels way too much on business I would move hotels when there was a real business reason to be on one side of town for a day or two but different location quite some distance away the next; just to avoid morning rush in a strange town. Totally defensible. Even a good idea. Also makes more sense to stay at the airport hotel first or last night to avoid a rental car day. Just so happens you get more stays that way also. What a coincidence. The airport thing even makes sense on vacation.
This is true, but to change hotels unnecessarily in the middle of a business trip when the only reason is to get additional stay credits seems wrong to me. You should focus on the business activities that are the purpose of the trip and not waste time and get distracted by the logistics of switching hotels. Plus, it could give the client a strange impression if you arrive with luggage every day; they might wonder whether you're homeless in their town.

OTOH, if you can save a lot of money by switching to the hotel offering substantially lower rates on certain days, an employer might appreciate this effort. In that case, you should explain the situation with your reimbursement request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.