Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh Hyatt House REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Please post overall experiences here regarding the Hyatt House in Pittsburgh's South Side. Overall a nice hotel, regardless of some issues I had in which I will post in a more comprehensive post separate of this one.

This was the first time I stayed at a Hyatt House. The location is great for nearby entertainment and only about a 10 min drive to the heart of downtown.

The hotel was clean, little too minimal/simplistic for my feels but to each their own. Rooms were well sized and included automatic dish washer, plates, cups, cooking pots/pans, microwave, and stove top.

Overall not what you cone to expect of a Hyatt, but a refreshing change at that. Hotel would be great for a 3 to 5 night stay.

Staff was mixed between nice and subpar which I wrote in my more detailed review. Other than the issued I personally had, I could see the concept catching on.

Last edited by dugup46; Jan 1, 2015 at 11:09 pm Reason: Changed post
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Disappointing First Experience As Platinum Member - Hyatt House Pittsburgh

Overall Experience: 6 of 10 because of my issues. If everything would have went well with the water and curtains, I would be more around an 8.

Hotel Opening Date: May 30th, 2013.

Booking Date: 12/31/14

Summary: First stay as a Platinum member, first stay at a Hyatt House. Unfortunately it was a very disappointing experience which likely will deter me from booking at this particular Hyatt again.

Valet: Valet crew were all fantastic, very busy but very efficient. Did not wait at all upon arriving. They greeted us each time upon walking in and sent us farewells upon each time we walked out. One of the best crews I have experienced at any Hyatt.

Front Desk: Subpar. The staff just seemed a little 'bummed'? Nothing cheerful really at all, not typical from my other Hyatt experiences. As my first time as a Platinum member, I was hoping to get a corner room. I asked a month ago or so when I booked the room, and again when I checked in (just after designated check-in time). Neither request was granted. Maybe I requested too soon to my reservation? Regardless, overall I give them a 7 of 10. Nothing special but not rude or mean by any means.

Room: Room was nice. If you have not checked out a Hyatt House, please do! They are more so for those extended stays (3 or 4 nights) but it's a different way to stay even if it's just for a night. Each room comes with a microwave, stove, dishwasher, island style bar for food, and a larger couch across from the bed. TV on a swivel so you catch flip it between the couch and the bed, which we found very functional actually. The bathroom was very large with great counter space and a beautiful glass shower (which didn't pan out... more below on that).

Overall the room and just overall style was very unique. I have to admit I was pleased with the room itself and the overall style of the hotel was just refreshing. Minimal but modern and clean. I do wish I took advantage of the breakfast; however, I passed on it. The description makes it sound very pleasant though!

Problem: We had no hot water. We let the water run for 15 minutes, but had no luck. Problems happen, I understand that. I judge by how problems are handled, not always the problems themselves. So I called down to the front desk and was told, "It's cold outside, the water may need to run longer - let it run 10 minutes and try it." Literally. It's 12:30AM, and I am expected to let water run for 20 minutes before taking a shower. Unbelievable.

I called again and they said they would send someone up. The staffer comes up with a thermometer in her hand. Her entire attitude just was very disappointing. I literally felt like I was inconveniencing her by having her come up to my room at 1AM to check the water temps. She lets the water run for another 5 minutes and eventually gets a reading of 100 degrees. She acts like this is normal, and I don't have a complaint. My frustration was near boiling over. I booked direct and paid $220 for the room. I let water run for 40 minutes, and the hottest I get is 100 degrees? After explaining my side of everything, she said she would give us a discount on the room and walked out.

I didn't want to push the issue. I was tired and just wanted to sleep at that point. So the morning comes around, the same issue. No hot water. I called quickly downstairs, still extremely frustrated from the way it was handled the night before.

I had a maintenance guy come up, taking the same steps the lady did from last night; however, he was VERY nice and understanding. He took the situation seriously, and I felt respected. His temps were also 95-100 and said he would talk to his manager about working something out as I wasn't the only room complaining about the water temps. I ended up taking my warm shower, at best, and headed downstairs to check out.

I asked to speak to the general manager, who was also nice and understanding. I didn't bring up how disrespected I felt the night before, but I felt the situation was handled as well as it could have been from him. Overall the maintenance man and general manager saved a complete disaster.

Problems:
No hot water

Fight in the hallway with a few kids around 4AM, screaming. Woke us both up instantly. I know this is not Hyatt's fault, but still a pain in the butt. A quick call to the front desk, they seemed that they were going to take care of it right away. I heard a dozen doors open and close and then that was that. Not sure how it was handled, but it was.

Blackout blinds would not repel down all the way, leaving half the window exposed. My room, of course, taking the brunt of the sunlight in the morning. We stayed for New Years, woke up at 4AM due to the fight, sleeping it would have been nice.

Last edited by dugup46; Jan 1, 2015 at 11:11 pm Reason: Bolded items
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Completely understand about the hot water. FYI, Platinum status doesn't mean much.. it's a status that a lot of people have through the credit card..
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You wrote a nice review and I hope people on here will be kind.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Completely understand about the hot water. FYI, Platinum status doesn't mean much.. it's a status that a lot of people have through the credit card..
Hot water and problems happen, I just felt it was initially handled poorly. I was staying there on NYE and there were a lot of younger kids partying. I felt grouped with that bunch, more frustrated I was even there, than respected as a guest with a problem.

And honestly it shouldn't mean much. I have generally always been treated well regardless of booking through Hotwire or direct. The hotel is shaped like a "U" so each floor has 6 corner rooms, so I was just hopeful they would be able to follow through.

I'm going to add on to say again that the hotel was, nice. Different but nice. And the maintenance man and general manager were very kind. It was just the interactions of a few other people that will keep me away from this particular property for the time being. I still recommend the hotel itself in hopes to hear some more positive experiences. I certainly recommend the House subbrand for extended stays of 3+ nights or small families looking to stay at a great hotel while saving a few bucks by eating in.

Last edited by dugup46; Jan 2, 2015 at 6:13 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

On NYE you can expect to have noise issues... People go to hotels to misbehave, something they wouldn't do at home. Not much a hotel can do about that until after the fact.

Your only complaint seems to be about the lack of (very) hot water. For most that wouldn't really be much of a problem on NYE.... But not a great thing to happen anyway. Most would just take a quick shower, even at 100 degrees, and not waste a lot of time with that.

Platinums are a dime a dozen, especially in the US. So the sooner you stop expecting miracles because you are one the better your stays will become. Often disappointments come from expecting too much.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
As you noted, a hallway disturbance is not the fault of the hotel. And, given the date of your booking, shouldn't be completely unexpected.

I agree 100 degree water is not ideal, but in no way would it be an uncomfortable shower, and probably not worth losing sleep over at that hour of the night. Sure, I may have spent the same amount complaining of time if the water had been cold. But lukewarm at that hour? I would have just dealt with it, made a call, and followed up with a manager in the am.

As others have mentioned, Plt status is a dime a dozen.

I hope your future stays with Hyatt go better.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
Your only complaint seems to be about the lack of (very) hot water... Often disappointments come from expecting too much.
Couple things I feel I should address. The complaint isn't so much as with the temperature but the fact that it took literally 20 minutes of running the water for it to reach that temperature that night and again in the morning. Even so, the larger problem was the way it was addressed that night. Between the attitude of staff from when I checked in, to the phone call about the water, to a staffer who came up that night was disappointing.

The next morning the maintenance man and GM handled everything very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.