Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:47 pm

Thanks,
we're presently booked on points for Zilara... just wanted to make sure we had options.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Fez is one place we didn't make it up to...did they have any food as well or just drinks? My wife was wondering if maybe they had some Naan or Roti bread up there...
They had little snacks they brought out to you if you wanted them. It was some breads with hummus, baba ganoush and tapenade.

Last edited by luckyprincessmelody; Jan 30, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:33 pm

Guests at Zilara can use ALL restaurants and bars. Ziva guests can not use Flavorz, Horizons, Petite Pariz or the bar in the Zilara lobby. There is no indication this will ever change, nor should it as it would shortchange a lot of Zilara guests.
They asked us our room #...didn't look like they actually checked against a list, so if you knew any room # from Zilara, you could probably get in (assuming you had pants on and not shorts). However, this may change when the resort is busy.
We used Petite Pariz with no problem. Asked our room number and just wrote it down and let us in. We met some brothers that told us about Horizons and went for dinner one night. We gave her our room number and she said that unfortunately it was only for Zilara guests but then she said we looked so pretty that she let us in anyway, lol. It was very pretty and had a nice two woman band singing.

We tried all but Brazilian and Asian and our very favorite was Calypzo. Authentic Caribbean food that is amazing and a view of the ocean - couldn't beat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadIsLife
DW heading to Zilara in a few days with grown daughter. Sounds like things have improved.

Area code 876 , I know is not toll free. It's the local Jamaica area code. Any suggestions on keeping in touch with our iphones?

Not sure if the free wifi will support facetime. otherwise I guess i'll just have her email me , and I'll phone her back in the room.

Just called to confirm reservation. They are booked in a resort view in Building #4. I mentioned her Platinum status and requested a nicer room if available.
Anyone getting nicer rooms?

Are jackhammers still keeping anyone awake at night?
In our experience wifi was all over the place. The first day it was dismal. Second and third we had great, strong signals. It seems to go in and out.

I will confirm that as we laid in our cabana each day we did hear jackhammers on the Zilara side it seemed. At one point we looked at each other and said if that was near our room we'd be mad. There was a lot of work going on near Horizons and Zilara just looked very unfinished to us although the halls were lovely and the rooms looked nice.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Club Mobay requires 48 hour advance purchase

Just found out Club Mobay requires 48 hour advance purchase, or more.
Let me know if you know anything different, Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
diamond amenity bonus

Just wanted to give an update on the diamond amenity bonus.

I was not offered any diamond amenity bonus at check-in or was anything even mentioned. Now that the stay/points has posted to my account, I do see that I was given the 1,000 point bonus as my amenity.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy platinum
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Just wanted to give an update on the diamond amenity bonus.

I was not offered any diamond amenity bonus at check-in or was anything even mentioned. Now that the stay/points has posted to my account, I do see that I was given the 1,000 point bonus as my amenity.
if you were not offered D amenity, I believe you get 1500 in your account.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by reubenfairbird
if you were not offered D amenity, I believe you get 1500 in your account.
Yes, I was not offered but it still showed up on my account, thus will not apply in my case. I believe the 50% bonus only applies when the 1000 point amenity does not automatically post to your account and that you will need to follow up for it.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by luckyprincessmelody
Hi all! Very quickly wanted to say we loved our stay! The resort is pretty beautiful but Zilara is not really finished in our opinion. When it gets finished it will be really nice though. We stayed at Ziva and have to say the staff is as good as everyone says. We had some issues with our room and the building but I, the princess, didn't even find it worthy of complaining solely because everything else was really so terrific. That in and of itself is quite a feat lol!
What were the issues and what room were you in? Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Just found out Club Mobay requires 48 hour advance purchase, or more.
Let me know if you know anything different, Thanks
Thanks for the info. Do you know where/how one would go about making the reservation?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thm1223
Thanks for the info. Do you know where/how one would go about making the reservation?
Really? www.club-mobay.com.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Ministryofgiraffes
What were the issues and what room were you in? Thanks.
We were in building 2, a double bed ocean view. The view was gorgeous. We were also facing the amphitheater but found that to be great! We could even see some shows from our balcony which was nice and it wasn't too loud at all. As far as issues the bathroom was not the one we paid for in terms of amenities. No rainfall showerhead, as a matter of fact it was the tiny cheap kind found in most apartment buildings and the pressure was awful. The bathroom was pretty though, being all marble and with a shower and soaking tub. Of course I couldn't use the tub because we usually had no hot water. The first day was tepid. Second was as well but then we got hot water for about 5 minutes. Then back to tepid. Rest was cold. Showers were pretty terrible.

We also had one light that only worked part of the time. Our building lost elevators the last two days except for a couple of them. Although my friend and I always get up around 6am I know others don't and the fire alarms did go off once or twice. If I had been sleeping during it I would have awoken startled. Those were pretty much the only issues with our room/building.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:36 am

I'm still working on my review but I wanted to mention something that I haven't seen addressed here. There is a very annoying issue with some of the men working at the resort. Although service is great mostly, we were both aggressively hit on by quite a few workers. They would quietly ask if they could 'get to know us better' either that night or on their day off. It was super off putting and my friend actually felt a little intimidated once.

One of the stewards that serviced our room was hitting on me asking me to give him my number, meet him on his day off, get to know him better.... very irritating. As a matter of fact after that exchange he mentioned that he had a master key to my room. So my friend and I always had the deadbolt and top lock set when we slept, if that gives you any indication of how uncomfortable that made us. On our last day we received a call in our room saying there was something for us at the door. My friend checked the peephole and no one was there so she opened it and he came from around the corner with small alcohol bottles for us asking us what our plans were. We also had a problem along the same lines at some restaurants, the buffet and a photographer.

I've seen some other reviews with people mentioning this but haven't seen it here. For those with women in the party, particularly teen girls I think a conversation before hand is in order. It was never threatening but it was annoying and for those not used to that behavior it could be upsetting. I have spoken to many Jamaican friends and they tell me that this is considered harmless flirting there but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited by luckyprincessmelody; Feb 3, 2015 at 6:07 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:51 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by luckyprincessmelody
I'm still working on my review but I wanted to mention something that I haven't seen addressed here. There is a very annoying issue with some of the men working at the resort. Although service is great mostly, we were both aggressively hit on by quite a few workers. They would quietly ask if they could 'get to know us better' either that night or on their day off. It was super off putting and my friend actually felt a little intimidated once.

One of the stewards that serviced our room was hitting on me asking me to give him my number, meet him on his day off, get to know him better.... very irritating. As a matter of fact after that exchange he mentioned that he had a master key to my room. So my friend and I always had the deadbolt and top lock set when we slept, if that gives you any indication of how uncomfortable that made us. On our last day we received a call in our room saying there was something for us at the door. My friend checked the peephole and no one was there so she opened it and he came from around the corner with small alcohol bottles for us asking us what our plans were. We also had a problem along the same lines at some restaurants, the buffet and a photographer.

I've seen some other reviews with people mentioning this but haven't seen it here. For those with women in the party, particularly teen girls I think a conversation before hand is in order. It was never threatening but it was annoying and for those not used to that behavior it could be upsetting. I have spoken to many Jamaican friends and they tell me that this is considered harmless flirting there but I thought it was worth mentioning.
That's really bad since the people you mentioned are hotel employees. It would be bad enough if it was the construction crew etc.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
favorite Bar for girls trip?

Princess, or anyone else with first hand experience,

DW and adult daughter are at Zilara now , for a girls get away. Did you find a favorite bar?

Did you venture off property at all? If so what was involved? They might need to do some shopping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.