Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I doubt very much that the hotel is liable for any other expenses that guests might claim, such as additional taxi fare. Full refund or similar accommodations at the booked rate would be the only thing the hotel is liable for.
Agree. After escalating, I received full refund of points on the free night stays and reimbursement of amounts paid over booked rate (and coverage at 100% of free nights) at hotel of my choice. I did not ask for taxi fare or anything outside room costs, which I don't think would be reasonable. However, if I opted for the Andaz, I would have expected compensaiton for additional taxi expenses if applicable. If stickyfinger needs a email contact of senior management, he should PM me, because he deserves better treatment than what is being offered.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:44 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Well, my reservations for the HR Churchill for 27/12 has now been officially cancelled. It's been switched over to the Andaz. I guess the damage is quite severe.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by gemini573
Well, my reservations for the HR Churchill for 27/12 has now been officially cancelled. It's been switched over to the Andaz. I guess the damage is quite severe.
Interesting - I'm due to arrive about a week before that and the reservation still shows up online, along w/a reservation at the Andaz.

Did they contact you directly and inform you of the cancellation?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:13 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Interesting - I'm due to arrive about a week before that and the reservation still shows up online, along w/a reservation at the Andaz.

Did they contact you directly and inform you of the cancellation?

This was sent from guest relations. I have a paid stay as well. Wanted to use C+P but not available. Anyways, here's the letter.

Dear Mr. XXX,

We are contacting you regarding recent events at the Hyatt Regency Churchill. On the evening of November 21st, our hotel experienced damage from a gas explosion which will impact our ability to accommodate you during your stay. We regret your reservation for arrival on December 28, 2014 will be impacted by this situation. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience this has caused.

Your reservation will be honored at Andaz Liverpool Street London under confirmation number ----------. We are available to answer any questions you may have about this new hotel. Please contact us by replying to this email our calling us at 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053.

If you prefer to make your own alternate accommodations, please let us know, and we will take care of the cancellation of your accommodations with us without any cancellation fees or penalties.

Once again please accept our apology for the inconvenience and frustration this situation is causing you. Please contact us at 866-816-3868 or 402-593-5053 for assistance.

Warmest Regards,

Hyatt Guest Relations
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

My vote is they should do better than just rebooking at the Andaz, certainly upon request. I understand this is not a good situation for anyone concerned but just moving you there and saying "take it or leave it" is not going to make them any friends.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My vote is they should do better than just rebooking at the Andaz, certainly upon request. I understand this is not a good situation for anyone concerned but just moving you there and saying "take it or leave it" is not going to make them any friends.
You just can't please some people. its all about you in this moment isn't it. Gimme a break.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is how the management has dealt with issues for years. My personal experience was "take what we tell you or leave". I left. Hyatt GP as a whole. My only stays back with Hyatt in 6 years since have been at the Hyatt Mainz due to AWESOME management.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
This is how the management has dealt with issues for years. My personal experience was "take what we tell you or leave". I left. Hyatt GP as a whole. My only stays back with Hyatt in 6 years since have been at the Hyatt Mainz due to AWESOME management.
Across the board, the way the Churchill management has handled this situation, which was likely caused by their own negligence when the restaurant was renovated recently, is a final sign that the hotel simply has poor managers. They basically told me to find my own hotel rooms for my stays until I contacted Hyatt corporate. The hotel and its staff should be ashamed of the way they handled this situation. I hope Hyatt corporate leadership takes the closure of the hotel to make some much needed upgrades to its management team in London.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Across the board, the way the Churchill management has handled this situation, which was likely caused by their own negligence when the restaurant was renovated recently, is a final sign that the hotel simply has poor managers. They basically told me to find my own hotel rooms for my stays until I contacted Hyatt corporate. The hotel and its staff should be ashamed of the way they handled this situation. I hope Hyatt corporate leadership takes the closure of the hotel to make some much needed upgrades to its management team in London.
I just have a different perspective on this I guess. I had a reservation for mid-December prior to the explosion. I heard about the news a day after it happened. I changed my hotel reservation myself to another hotel after I heard that the Churchill would be closed until January.

I suppose I should have expected Hyatt to contact every guest to let them know of this news because I read about it here on FT. I 'assume' this would have happened at some point prior to my reservation date. But because I had the details I figured I would just change the reservation myself.

My issue is you all act like you are entitled to some special benefit because of this. I would expect Hyatt to help rebook in another hotel. Why do you all expect this to be a situation where you get red carpet service? If Hyatt rebooked you in the Andaz, that should suffice, but you probably want extra points in your account for the 'hassle' and inconvenience.

I've heard of successful companies firing customers before, if I were Hyatt, I wouldn't mind losing customers like you if you have this selfish attitude in this type of circumstance.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I think there is likely a problem that the hotel is struggling to relocate everyone - it's likely 400 rooms per night plus numerous meetings and events. Hyatt central are supposed to be contacting everyone, although I would prefer to work directly with the hotel in finding a solution. It would seem sensible that people were contacted in the order of stay.

I hadn't been contacted so rang the normal number and was put through to customer care in the US. After going back to the hotel and asking for in-house reservations, I was informed that there was a choice of hotels (including IC Park Lane, which has the same owners) and that they would see what was available for my dates. Then, if we wanted to choose to stay elsewhere they would possibly contribute to out of pocket costs. For us, it is more a problem that we don't have status elsewhere. To add the cost of breakfast and dinner really makes the stay a lot more expensive.

With regards to fault, it is way too early to say, but I would not think a gas explosion was due to a hotel's negligence. Presumably if this was the case it would invalidate any insurance claim, something no hotel can afford to happen. I would guess it is more likely to be due to London's ageing infrastructure. I am unsure which restaurant was renovated recently - the Montagu hasn't changed as far as I can see and Locanda Locatelli is an independent restaurant, not run by the hotel.

I think there could be better communication between hotel, HGP and guests with upcoming stays, so that people are not simply told that their reservation is cancelled or that he only option in the Andaz. However, I think people also need to think through the logistics of relocating so many people into equivalent hotels in London (I guess this is pretty much limited to Marriott, Hilton and ICs on Park Lane) at the same time as the investigations into the blast, managing staff for the next month or so and trying to get the hotel up and running again as quickly as possible.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:33 am

Or, based on your posts, DYKWIA.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Across the board, the way the Churchill management has handled this situation, which was likely caused by their own negligence when the restaurant was renovated recently
that's a pretty significant accusation to make w/o providing evidence as back up
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
They are in the hospitality industry,

Hospitable definition: receiving or treating guests or strangers warmly and generously.

When you booked a room at this hotel at the rates they are charging "YES IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU!!!" The gas leak was not an act of nature, this was an act of poor maintenance by THE HOTEL, which is managed by HYATT.

They better make an effort to please as many people as possible.

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
You just can't please some people. its all about you in this moment isn't it. Gimme a break.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
When you booked a room at this hotel at the rates they are charging "YES IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU!!!" The gas leak was not an act of nature, this was an act of poor maintenance by THE HOTEL, which is managed by HYATT.
Until we have further information, we cannot know that the gas leak was caused by poor maintenance. I am sure that the hotel will have been compliant with gas maintenance guidelines. The fault could lie with the hotel owner, the management, the person contracted to carry out gas maintenance, the National Grid, someone contracted to do other work in the hotel. Vandalism and acts of sabotage will also have to be ruled out (although are unlikely).
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:36 am

I must say I tend to agree with the comments that the communication and re-booking process has been poorly handled here. I don't know if that's the hotel itself or Hyatt Central, but my experiences have been poor.

I'm a loyal and frequent guest at the hotel. I was booked in for a few nights in the week immediately after the explosion and then each subsequent week until Christmas.

I can understand that there was no communication immediately after the explosion, and I was told to make my own arrangements for this past week. But no communication form Hyatt about my subsequent stays? That's poor.

I cancelled my booking for this coming week and have made alternative arrangements. During the night last night I received an email from Hyatt informing me that my reservation for the week of December 8th has been cancelled. Checking the website this morning I have NOT been re-booked at the Andaz, it's just been cancelled. My reservation for week of December 15th is still showing at the Churchill.

Of course I don't blame Hyatt for the fact the hotel is closed, and I am perfectly well aware that the hotel is closed so it's not like I am going to turn up and be shocked to learn that I don't have a reservation. But I would like to feel that, as a Diamond member, Hyatt has my back and is trying to help me out during times of thin hotel availability and is willing to honour my corporate rate at the Andaz or a competitor. But so far, nada.

Not impressed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.