Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
13 march is only 10 days away so hopefully we should have a conclusion to this thread soon!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HGP Diamond, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
Just contacted @HyattConcierge on Twitter again as I have a reservation for 23rd March. I got an unequivocal:
"Hyatt Regency London The Churchill will not be opening in March. Guest relations will be contacting you to discuss your options."
I really wish they would open! I won't cancel my reservation just in case.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by curtainbounce
Just contacted @HyattConcierge on Twitter again as I have a reservation for 23rd March. I got an unequivocal:
"Hyatt Regency London The Churchill will not be opening in March. Guest relations will be contacting you to discuss your options."
Plenty of hotel choices in London, just not many Hyatt's to choose from. I'm not sure I will go back the Churchill in the future. Since the hotel has been under repair it has forced me to stay in other locations and break my habit of staying at the Churchill repeatedly.

It has been great to experience other hotels in London and realize how great the choices can be.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Wink Hyatt Andaz

If they offer you the Andaz do be aware of the location which is not as centrally located. The intercontinental is a nice option in London if you take advantage of the club lounge. I also like the Langham (about a 4 min walk from the churchill) or the Four Seasons London Park Lane which is just delightful!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:42 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Plenty of hotel choices in London, just not many Hyatt's to choose from. I'm not sure I will go back the Churchill in the future. Since the hotel has been under repair it has forced me to stay in other locations and break my habit of staying at the Churchill repeatedly.

It has been great to experience other hotels in London and realize how great the choices can be.
I couldn't agree more
If I do go back the hotel and especially with any frequency they would have to improve both rooms as well as offer a true quality standard in a fitness center
Andaz is totally out of the question for me
I find it quirky and depressing and the room service awful
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make sure you have a backup booking. Hyatt won't ask; one day, they'll just cancel your reservation.

Tried the Corinthia for my last stay, staying at the Shangri-La Shard for my next one if the Churchill doesn't re-open (seems unlikely as I am there early April).
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus

Fully agree. I am in London every 3 weeks and have now been staying at many hotels. First few stays, Hyatt picked up difference, then just cancelled all of my reservations. I have stayed at IC Park Lane, Marriott Park Lane (just renovated), Browns Hotel (amazing), Langham (great), Cafe Royal (outstanding), Four Seasons, Baglioni, JW Marriott, Landmark (very nice). Berkeley, Ham Yard (interesting)

All offer comparable rates (some under LHW). I really did not appreciate the diversity of options. Having lost more than 10 stay credit already this year, Diamond re-qaulification this year will be difficult (as the Churchill accounted for most of my stays).

Off to the Connaught this friday!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Churchill to re-open on March 15!

The website has been updated -- the hotel will officially re-open on March 15. They are also renovating, they say, and those will be done by summer.

Just checked rates in June and they are running 400-500 quid a night!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
This is great news as we have a 4 night reservation in May for our 40th wedding anniversary and didn't like the location of the Andaz. So appreciate the update.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Great news indeed as I finally was able to book my reward night for July
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The website has been updated -- the hotel will officially re-open on March 15. They are also renovating, they say, and those will be done by summer.

Just checked rates in June and they are running 400-500 quid a night!
That's only 600 US dollars a night and that may come with an improved fitness center?
a future refurbished guest room and maybe a second operating club lounge that actually may even be open No Omelets though That's extra
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Great news indeed as I finally was able to book my reward night for July
I had less luck. I had most of my reward nights booked, but one night I didn't get nailed down before the explosion. Now there aren't any standard rooms left, much less award nights (late June). Think I might have to do one night elsewhere. Really can't justify $500 a night. Can't do the Andaz as we have our son with us. Sigh...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by ChoochMom
I had less luck. I had most of my reward nights booked, but one night I didn't get nailed down before the explosion. Now there aren't any standard rooms left, much less award nights (late June). Think I might have to do one night elsewhere. Really can't justify $500 a night. Can't do the Andaz as we have our son with us. Sigh...
Try the Radisson just across the street - they run promotions frequently. Would be easy to just cross the street to Hyatt for your other nights.
PS Apparently I got really lucky - I just tried booking for the same night I did earlier today - award nights no longer available. As often is the case, timing is everything

Last edited by Paulchili; Mar 11, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:23 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm happy with this news. I was able to extend my stay at the Andaz Liverpool Street (arriving a few days earlier than planned) and was able to extend my DSU to cover. Prior to this news, the Andaz didn't have much availability.

Spouse will be Diamond by then ... I wonder how many ... naaah, never mind.

Everyone has their favorites, to which they're entitled. The Andaz Liverpool Street is my favorite Hyatt property worldwide. I like the location, the history, the breakfast, the comfort, the uniqueness.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I'm happy to, this will open up more availability at the Andaz, it's also my favorite Hyatt, can't beat the breakfast in 1901.

Welcome Back Churchill!!!

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I'm happy with this news. I was able to extend my stay at the Andaz Liverpool Street (arriving a few days earlier than planned) and was able to extend my DSU to cover. Prior to this news, the Andaz didn't have much availability.

Spouse will be Diamond by then ... I wonder how many ... naaah, never mind.

Everyone has their favorites, to which they're entitled. The Andaz Liverpool Street is my favorite Hyatt property worldwide. I like the location, the history, the breakfast, the comfort, the uniqueness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.