Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas explosion at Hyatt Churchill London (11/21/14)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:26 pm

we've got dates mid-march so am curious if there are any new developments since we can't get a room for points at Andaz for 3... two yes or 3 for $ not on points. When I spoke to HGP rep.. she just said.. then why don't you just get 2 rooms at Andaz... after a few minutes I knew it was pointless to explain I felt it wasn't really necessary to use 50K points per night when we could have easily been accomodated at Churchil for 25K.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait... luckily we still have other destination options since I've got flights on hold and haven't tied up $$ on that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: WN, UA, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
we've got dates mid-march so am curious if there are any new developments since we can't get a room for points at Andaz for 3... two yes or 3 for $ not on points. When I spoke to HGP rep.. she just said.. then why don't you just get 2 rooms at Andaz... after a few minutes I knew it was pointless to explain I felt it wasn't really necessary to use 50K points per night when we could have easily been accomodated at Churchil for 25K.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait... luckily we still have other destination options since I've got flights on hold and haven't tied up $$ on that.
I tweeted @HyattConcierge and they were happy to switch us to Andaz. Perhaps they would make an exception and give you a non revenue night. They are pretty accommodating on social media
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN, UA, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by Jacob Edelman
Tweeted at them, let's see what they say
They happily moved me to Andaz

They also said that if the Churchill opens up and there is availability (which there likely will be since no one is making reservations) I can switch back.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
FWIW, I was on the phone with CS regarding another reservation and asked for an update on The Churchill. The rep said they are rebooking reservations 2/15 and before. That's 2 weeks away, so it sound like they are going on a week to week basis. Right or wrong, I feel a little more reassured with my summer reservation, but I wish they would make some kind of announcement already.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Still not booking into this hotel.
Anyone have the latest news as to when they expect to reopen?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:04 pm

Have ressie for March 13th and haven't gotten a call yet...
Wonder what's up since we have a room for 3 and can't get that for Andaz... we shall see.

Last edited by cmjaffe; Feb 11, 2015 at 4:05 pm Reason: wrong info
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
We have a reservation for the end of May. I just called the Diamond line 2 days ago and asked what the status was. After putting me on hold, he said that they weren't sure when it was going to be up and running and told me to make a backup reservation at the Andaz. I had a reservation with points and cash using a Diamond suite upgrade (made the reservation last July cuz it's our 40th wedding anniversary), but they said that wasn't available at the Andaz and I could only reserve a regular room. Asked if they could make an exception due to the situation and they said NO. Frustrating......
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I walked by the hotel on Feb 7 to take a look, sorry for not posting this sooner. The gas was clearly still off since the lobby was being heated with electric heaters. There were a bunch of panel trucks for gas repair people around back (in the road next to where the entrance to Locanda Locatelli is).
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jacob Edelman
They happily moved me to Andaz

They also said that if the Churchill opens up and there is availability (which there likely will be since no one is making reservations) I can switch back.
For me the Andaz doesnt match the Churchill in location or ambiance. I love being behind Selfridges..
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Locanda Locatelli is reopening on 14th March, so perhaps the Hotel isn't too far behind it?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Locanda Locatelli is reopening on 14th March, so perhaps the Hotel isn't too far behind it?
This does suggest some progress! I hope so - the Churchill is my go to property in London, the SPG & Hilton properties just don't compare for location/amenities.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
The info I have is that the hotel will be semi-reopening in mid-late March with the top 3 floors opening initially. The damage to the ground floor in particular was extensive and the hotel are taking the opportunity to renovate whilst they make repairs. So, I heard on the grapevine that the long awaited new gym will make an appearance, also possibly a spa.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The damage on the ground floor may have been extensive but the main lobby and hotel restaurant area looked fine to me when I was in there two weeks ago. So possibly the damage on the ground floor is in the back, over by Locanda Locatelli and the event rooms on that side of the hotel.

They have now modified the website posting and are now saying that bookings up until March 15 will be cancelled.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by price123
So, I heard on the grapevine that the long awaited new gym will make an appearance, also possibly a spa.
^
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
This is great news as our reservations are for May! Appreciate the updated information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.