Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MGM rate changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
MGM rate changes

I have a reservation booked at the MGM at their mLife Gold rates. The rate varies each day.

Checking the reservation, I see that the current rates have varied in both directions from what I have (some days up a little, some up a lot, some down a little). Is it feasible to get them to lower the rates for the days that dropped while leaving the others alone?

Next time, is it worth the effort of making multiple reservations, or will that prove too much hassle on check-in to get them combined/blocked for the same room the entire stay? (Though it would be great to get an upgrade for one night, then get them to combine the other nights and leave me upgraded.)
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You get upgrades in Vegas by slipping $20 to the check-in agent (so they say...). Never had a sniff of an improved room despite my mlife status... Maybe that's because I have 1-night stays to hotel hop for status purposes, when maybe they want to be nice to people staying all week.

I find it an incredible hassle to change or cancel mlife reservations. You have to call the hotel reservations desk then get transferred elsewhere (I think guest relations). It would have to be a big saving to be worth the effort. Multiple reservations means multiple calls to cancel/change.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I find it an incredible hassle to change or cancel mlife reservations.
Sending an email for non time-critical changes or cancellations works as well...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sethb
I have a reservation booked at the MGM at their mLife Gold rates. The rate varies each day.

Checking the reservation, I see that the current rates have varied in both directions from what I have (some days up a little, some up a lot, some down a little). Is it feasible to get them to lower the rates for the days that dropped while leaving the others alone?

Next time, is it worth the effort of making multiple reservations, or will that prove too much hassle on check-in to get them combined/blocked for the same room the entire stay? (Though it would be great to get an upgrade for one night, then get them to combine the other nights and leave me upgraded.)

Interesting...I haven't seen much movement on the prices at all.(Mlilfe Platinum).. and I check almost on a daily basis....for a period in January....

Strange question but is it possible you are seeing a price fluctuation because you aren't signed in? And then the price drops after you sign in due to the discount of whatever tier you are at?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by elg26
Interesting...I haven't seen much movement on the prices at all.(Mlilfe Platinum).. and I check almost on a daily basis....for a period in January....

Strange question but is it possible you are seeing a price fluctuation because you aren't signed in? And then the price drops after you sign in due to the discount of whatever tier you are at?
No, I'm looking at the mLife Gold prices while signed in. Most fluctuations are around $3-4/night. There are a couple of large ones, but those are increases.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sethb
No, I'm looking at the mLife Gold prices while signed in. Most fluctuations are around $3-4/night. There are a couple of large ones, but those are increases.
Gotcha....

I guess it doesn't matter if you don't mind leaving a deposit (s) and cancel within the cancellation window.....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No; in fact, I had two or three different reservations before I realized that mLife was cheaper than any (base + conference rate, then AAA, then mLife). I had up to 4 deposits outstanding at one point, they got refunded when I canceled the corresponding reservations. (I would have been perfectly happy for all of them to be moved to the final reservation, for that matter.)
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:41 pm

Rather than using the MLife website for booking, i search MLife for a price quote and then call vip services of the hotel that i want to book. No deposit charged but they do take credit card number for no show. Makes cancelling And rate changes easier. No deposits to mess with.

Vip services rates have always been the same as MLife and Plat MLife gives vip access. Don't know about other levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.