Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco Discount Inconsistent

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Costco Discount Inconsistent

I've been looking at several properties and have been noticing that the Costco rate often times does NOT give the 10% discount it is supposed to.

Hotel 1:
Code:
              HDR    Costco   Status 
King          169    153      OK
2 Double      169    153      OK
Pure King     194    178      <10%
Pure Double   194    178      <10%
Exec King     199    183      <10%
Jr Suite      249    233      <10%
Hotel 2
Code:
                HDR    Costco   Status 
Queen Studio    99     89       OK
1 Bed Qn Suite  114    104      <10%
2 Bed Qn Suite  124    114      <10%
Queen Whrpl     99     89       OK
Hotel 3
Code:
                HDR    Costco   Status 
2 Double        99     90       OK
Business King   119    110      <10%
Exec King       119    110      <10%
Pure            119    110      <10%
In the last two cases it seems they are just taking a flat $10 off instead of 10%. Did I miss something or is this just plain wrong?

Edit:
After looking more closely at the numbers, it seems like they just take 10% off of the cheapest room category. But for all other categories, they take off the same dollar amount that they did for the cheapest room, regardless of whether it is actually 10% off. So for hotel 1 it is always $16 and hotels 2+3 are always $10
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I even question the OKs for Hotel 1 and Hotel 3. The rounding is extreme and not in the consumer's favor. A 10% discount on $99 is not $90 but $89.10. Similarly, a 10% discount on a $169 room should be $152.10, not $153.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Yeah, I was considering marking them as OK'ish, but at least they are in the realm of possibility. I've noticed that the top level of the Hyatt site always shows a whole dollar amount, but if you go to the confirmation page, it often has a number with a decimal. So, for instance, the 99 rate may actually be 98.15. It still doesn't the discrepancies on everything besides the base room rate.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Jason, I think your theory in your Edit is correct!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
The Costco Travel terms and conditions say (in part):

10% Discount off of the Hyatt Daily Rate is valid on standard guest room accommodations.

e.g., as your edit noted --- the least expensive room rate.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
The Costco Travel terms and conditions say (in part):

10% Discount off of the Hyatt Daily Rate is valid on standard guest room accommodations.

e.g., as your edit noted --- the least expensive room rate.
Hmmm. I don't see that.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/offers/in...p?accid=costco
Welcome Costco Members:
Save 10% at Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®
Whether you are seeking the bright lights of a city location or the serenity of a resort destination, you’ll find distinctive design, extraordinary service, world-class amenities and award-winning cuisine at our properties around the globe.
As a Costco member, you’ll also enjoy 10% savings off the Hyatt Daily Rate at participating Hyatt Hotels and Resorts worldwide.
Reserve now or call 877 849 2730 and request offer code COSTCO.
http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/offers/te...p?accid=costco
10% Discount is off of the Hyatt Daily Rate for the room type requested at time of booking. Reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Offer not valid at Park Hyatt®. Offer valid for Costco members residing in the U.S. only and must be requested at time of booking. Guest must present valid Costco membership card at time of check-in to qualify for the offer. Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Rate is per room, per night, excluding service charges, taxes and other incidental expenses. Additional guests may be subject to additional hotel charges. A limited number of rooms are allocated to this promotion. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® encompasses hotels managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Global Hyatt Corporation. The trademarks Hyatt®, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place®, Hyatt Summerfield Suites®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation. © 2014 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Different Language

This is what I see after logging in:

"Terms and Conditions
10% Discount off of the Hyatt Daily Rate is valid on standard guest room accommodations. Reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Offer not valid at Park Hyatt®, except for Park Hyatt Aviara. Offer valid for Costco members residing in the U.S. only and must be requested at time of booking. Guest must present valid Costco membership card at time of check-in to qualify for the offer. Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Promotion cannot be combined with Costco Travel packages. Rate is per room, per night, excluding service charges, taxes and other incidental expenses. 10% Discount is reflected in the rate quoted. Additional guests may be subject to additional hotel charges. A limited number of rooms are allocated to this promotion. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events, and normal arrival/departure restrictions apply. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® encompasses hotels managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Global Hyatt Corporation. The trademarks Hyatt®, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place®, HYATT house™, Hyatt Gold Passport®, and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation. © 2014 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.
Any unused portion(s) of inclusions are nontransferable, nonrefundable and not redeemable for cash. Travel purchases are not included in the Executive Membership 2% Reward program. Seasonal surcharges, availability, blackout dates and restrictions may apply. All prices are in U. S. dollars. Costco Travel disclaims liability for any inaccuracies or typographical errors."
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And for some dates I looked at in Wash DC it increased the rate by 5%.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
This is what I see after logging in:

"Terms and Conditions
10% Discount off of the Hyatt Daily Rate is valid on standard guest room accommodations. <snip>
Link? I can't find anywhere that has that language, even when logged in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.