Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt REALLY needs to change terms of Diamond Challenge (ended 31 Oct 14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt REALLY needs to change terms of Diamond Challenge (ended 31 Oct 14)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:29 pm

The challenge gained about $1000 of my business, even though I failed. I loved this program and will think hard in the future about staying here going forward, so it's a win-win. I only used 2 of the 4 DSU and probably won't use the rest; as a single traveler, it really didn't matter to me at all.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by frekwentflier
The one and only reason I went to this trouble was because of the Diamond Challenge. If not for this, Hyatt wouldn't be getting any of my business (scheduled for 30+ nights in the next 3 months).

I will admit I've used a couple of DSUs already, but even without those, I still would have done this just for the lounge access.

So in this case, the challenge accomplished exactly what they wanted it to do: Obtained business for them that they normally would not have received.

And because of the Diamond status I will earn as part of the challenge, I will be much more likely to stay at Hyatts when I can because I really want to keep it.
Bingo.

I think it's a smart move. Hyatt has an appealing product and they're betting that if they can entice frequent travelers to try it, they'll get hooked.

The fact the challenge has been around for so long suggests that it's working out exactly as Hyatt intends.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Change for what ?
to be same as another chain ?
Hyatt Diamond Challenge are most attractive compared with another chain.
IMO Diamond Challenge are make some income to hyatt and it's hard core PR of loyalty benefits.
Change program as another chain => loss in come,loss attractive
Why try loyal hyatt when it have 1/2 numbers of properties compared with SPG and unalbe to compared with IHG Marriott ?
Those weak point of Hyatt is result in Diamond Challenge program today.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I do share the sentiment that qualifying for the Challenge seems a bit too easy for what you get, especially since status with a competing chain is so easy to get by applying for a credit card in some countries. You get a lot by having one stay at a cheap Hilton....

I don't really care that those free benefits come a at (very small) price for GP, and that it might be a good offer for them looking at the numbers. What I do care about is that at some properties it devalues the value I (and others) get from Diamond status. I'm quite sure that the lack of decent upgrades, the limiting of using DSU's at some properties and the cheap club offerings at others are a direct result of the influx of Diamond challenge guests.

I'm quite sure that for instance the Andaz Maui would still be offering the full breakfast when they hadn't been overrun by families on a challenge and bloggers promoting getting a card, doing the challenge and staying there. Now I'm the one paying for my breakfast....

But I'm also sure not much will change..... Only a further degrading of Diamond benefits due to costs for some properties.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:30 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RTW1
But I'm also sure not much will change..... Only a further degrading of Diamond benefits due to costs for some properties.
I wouldn't bet on that. Jeff Zidell was surprised that the DSUs hang around even if the challenge was not met. Of course that would require the computers to be reprogrammed and we all know how Hystt tech is. But they have to have some status match Or challenge program or they'd lose customers to other chains without the opportunity to get new ones. I also don't see DSUs not being issued since the program is meant to showcase the status and that's a major component - perhaps they could tweak the terms.

On BRG, I agree there is a lot if room for improvement - based on the reports here, I've never even attempted one since it's too much brain damage.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I've benefitted myself from the challenge this year, and am glad to be back to Diamond. However the post from people who are matching HH Gold status from a credit card just to get DSUs for a holiday do suggest that some tightening is in order.

As well as expiring the DSUs at the end of a failed challenge, I would also suggest requiring evidence of some reasonable number (say 20 stays or 40 nights) with another hotel chain in the past year. Hyatt already requires a statement, but will apparently accept just one stay!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:57 am

A lot of generalizing here. Not everybody who has gold or diamond got it via a credit card.

If they wanted to tighten something up it should be on "Americans" who apply for the trial seeing as that's where the cheap credit cards with benefits are being handed out like Gatorade on a marathon race. Require additional proof of stays/nights equal to the status tier your matching from.

I know I've earned my status the hard way and don't expect to be penalized simply because others get a easy way in.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by peteropny
at least the DSUs should be taken away if you don't complete the challenge rather than left in the account until 2/28 of the following year.
Agree with this.

Would also add that they should also look at the past year stay of the program they are matching to make status at competitor program was earned and not from credit card. It's it the point of the challenge to draw from a competitor?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:23 am

I did a diamond challenge this year, and I did it primarily because I knew I'd get DSUs during the challenge period. I used two of them for a family vacation. I then completed the challenge and Hyatt has gotten all but one of my stays this year - all revenue, in fact. My one non-Hyatt stay was for a business trip where our contract hotel was Hilton and we had no Hyatt options.

As a counterpoint, I'd suggest the system works.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the credit-card status issue, I think Hyatt knows exactly what it is doing. I can keep Hilton Gold via AMEX Surpass and Marriott Gold via UA without any stays in those programs, and direct all my business in Hyatt cities to Hyatt properties. And still get Hilton/Marriott Gold benefits in those cities where Hilton or Marriott are the best/only options.

Allowing retention of DSU's by those who don't meet the challenge does seem perhaps overly generous.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by Kacee
On the credit-card status issue, I think Hyatt knows exactly what it is doing. I can keep Hilton Gold via AMEX Surpass and Marriott Gold via UA without any stays in those programs, and direct all my business in Hyatt cities to Hyatt properties. And still get Hilton/Marriott Gold benefits in those cities where Hilton or Marriott are the best/only options.

Allowing retention of DSU's by those who don't meet the challenge does seem perhaps overly generous.
Bottom line, they know what they're doing. And as far as the DSU's hanging around, you still have to spend time and money at a Hyatt to use those DSU's. Companies often accept a loss up front (if a loss does exist) in order to earn that revenue later on. No way I would have stayed at so many Hyatt's without the Diamond challenge. Now that I am a diamond, I look at whatever possibilities are available to stay at Hyatt's around the world.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

As another counter point, i recently completed the challenge and decided to book the majority of my stays within the next 6 months at Hyatts. 33 out of my next 41 Hyatt stays will be revenue based. They would've been a mix of Marriott and boutique hotels if it weren't for the status. In some cases, I'll be going out of my way just to stay with Hyatt.

For example, when traveling to London for business my company usually books me into a 5 star boutique hotel directly across the street from the office. However I am choosing the Andaz, which is 2 tube stops away.

I agree the dsu's during the challenge are generous and they werent necessarily the motivation to request the challenge, but I don't think it's a bad thing. I do think they should be removed if the person fails the challenge though.

Last edited by kevneerg; Sep 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:26 pm

It's not like you can churn the diamond challenge. Worst case, you don't complete it, Hyatt is out 4 DSUs and less than 12 free breakfasts.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
As someone who completed the Challenge a few months ago, I have to say it does a great job enticing who are looking to see if the grass is greener and I am using Hyatt properties whereas I never previously have. That said, they don't need to give out 4 DSUs during the challenge, just one or two and maybe I am just saying that because I only used one of them during the period to test it out and have the others in reserve for future use.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
As someone who completed the Challenge a few months ago, I have to say it does a great job enticing who are looking to see if the grass is greener and I am using Hyatt properties whereas I never previously have. That said, they don't need to give out 4 DSUs during the challenge, just one or two and maybe I am just saying that because I only used one of them during the period to test it out and have the others in reserve for future use.
It's not about "need" though - it's marketing. They're giving you all 4 to make the idea more attractive. Even if you don't complete the challenge, you still have DSUs to use. And if you still have them, you're still likely to spend money as Hyatt. When you do that, you're going to be reminded about (IMHO) the best top tier hotel status of the major programs. Even if you don't complete the challenge, it's still going to net some loyalty, if my guess means anything.

You can have affinity without status. Even though it's not a slam dunk that I'll stay a diamond after 2015 - my business travel is way down right now and we'll see what next year looks like in the budget - I'm still going to look for Hyatts because I've been impressed with the brand. Heck, Hyatt has treated me better as a non-elite than Starwood and Hilton have as a Gold. With a smaller portfolio, it's all about building brand affinity. That's why I think Kimpton is making a mistake with its restructured elite program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.