Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overzealous Housekeeping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Overzealous Housekeeping

With my Plat status, I frequently take use of the late 2pm check out. They almost always ask me at check-in if I would like to use it and I confirm. Why is that on multiple occasions in different properties I still have housekeeping banging on my door multiple times trying to get me out at 12pm/1pm etc? I am frequently working from my room, on conference calls and this is totally distracting, let alone annoying.

Has anyone else had issues like this? Doesn't Hyatt have a system that notifies housekeeping who is checking out late?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
If I am distracted or hoping to sleep in, I put a post-It note with the checkout time on the door with an arrow pointing down to "do not disturb" placard/card/hanger.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Doesn't Hyatt have a system that notifies housekeeping who is checking out late?
More technology could and would solve this problem. The Post-it note idea, I had never thought of but is a low tech solution to a potential interruption. With the option of a 4 p.m. late checkout, I often am offered it or proactively ask for it - many times I leave before that time and never actually go and check out. With housekeeping staff trying to do their work and get home or wherever they need to be at a reasonable time, I'm not surprised they knock on doors.

There would be a cost to it but maybe Hyatt should consider tablets for housekeeping staff that indicate when people have checked out. For those granted late checkout and don't want to stop by the front desk, Hyatt could add a button to their app that stays "I'm out of the room." This may have a real benefit for guests too - the quicker housekeeping gets to your room, the quicker they might find you left your suit in the closet, valuables in the safe... and those could be returned sooner. If there is a two way interface, the hotel could then also know when the room is cleaned and ready for the next guest.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a more basic solution to this problem: A well managed hotel should have strict rules that housekeepers (and housekeeping supervisors) do NOT knock on doors or otherwise disturb guests (such as calling to ask whether you mean your DND sign or when you're leaving, a question that always seems to sound rude). They should be instructed to check with the front desk if they need to know whether a guest has already checked out.

This drives me crazy and I complain whenever it happens. I put the DND sign on the door for a reason: I do NOT want to be disturbed. Often this is very important to me. When I leave, I remove the sign. Simple.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a more basic solution to this problem: A well managed hotel should have strict rules that housekeepers (and housekeeping supervisors) do NOT knock on doors or otherwise disturb guests (such as calling to ask whether you mean your DND sign or when you're leaving, a question that always seems to sound rude). They should be instructed to check with the front desk if they need to know whether a guest has already checked out.

This drives me crazy and I complain whenever it happens. I put the DND sign on the door for a reason: I do NOT want to be disturbed. Often this is very important to me. When I leave, I remove the sign. Simple.
Exactly, even with the DND on the door and my late check out acknowledged at check-in I still get the knocking and more……they keep attempting to enter even when I have the bar lock on (I can't scream at them to not come in while on a conference call I am presenting on). Hyatt Chicago sent me a survey about my stay and I specifically mentioned this as a constant issue across Hyatt and explained what happened. The manager wrote me back saying this is against policy and their systems so it seems they have something in place housekeeping should be paying attention to, but they obviously don't.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
As a diamond, staying regularly at the same hotel and taking advantage of the 4pm checkout, I feel your pain, doubly!
They've done that over and over... SO much so that when I cross the cleaning staff, I tell them: "I have a 4pm checkout".

Lately, they seem to have improved. I did not get bothered during my last 3 stays. YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I've had a similar problem at HP.

I often extend my stays after I check in. Without fail, everytime on my OLD check out day, housekeeping opens my door at noon and asks why I am still there, even though the DND sign is on the door. It has gotten to the point that I now make a point of telling this to the FD when I extend my stay. They say they will note it, but housekeeping still shows up at noon wondering why I am still there.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:34 pm

At least you don't have housekeeping calling your room and hanging up every time you answer.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by everywhere
At least you don't have housekeeping calling your room and hanging up every time you answer.
This is also something that well managed hotels strictly forbid. If housekeeper want to know whether a room is still occupied, they should call the front desk. Period.

Report it when it happens.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:38 am

This is also something that well managed hotels strictly forbid. If housekeeper want to know whether a room is still occupied, they should call the front desk. Period.

Report it when it happens.
Oh don't worry, I do. When that happens I require my entire stay to be comped.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:59 am

Oh don't worry, I do. When that happens I require my entire stay to be comped.
Really? Have you had any success with that?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:54 pm

Really? Have you had any success with that?
Yes, 100% success rate. I don't appreciate being hassled.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:14 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Yes, 100% success rate. I don't appreciate being hassled.

Speaking as a regular member and not a forum moderator - I think this is excessive for stays in excess of 1 night - for 1 night could be reasonable depending on circumstances, time etc.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:35 am

It seems a simple matter to me that you would just approach housekeeping in the hall and tell them about the late checkout. Also, how about calling the housekeeping department to stay away and tell the staff who are cleaning your room to stay away? Very low tech but these are the people who are actually doing the disturbing. Most housekeeping staff these days, are Spanish speakers so it might not be a bad idea to convey this information in their language, or use one of the iPhone apps to simply state, "I have a later checkout."
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
A simple fix is when granting late checkout, have a DND type sign that says late check out on one side and room vacated on the other. Give it to the guest and ask them to use it. Cheap and simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.