Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chicago Recommendation - Park Hyatt, Hyatt Magnificent Mile or Sheraton Chicago Hotel

Chicago Recommendation - Park Hyatt, Hyatt Magnificent Mile or Sheraton Chicago Hotel

Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.

Not sure whether this should be here or the SPG thread but I'd like some advice on the hotels in Chicago.

I'll be staying for 2-3 nights in October using either the two free night certs from my Hyatt card or cash + points for leisure and to explore the city. If there are other SPG or Hyatt properties you'd recommend or think I should look into please let me know! I
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
PH Chicago, Hyatt Mag Mile, W Lakeshore, Westin Michigan Avenue are good/almost equal location for exploring. Close to Mag Mile and many dining outlets.

Hyatt Mag Mile, W Lakeshore, Westin Michigan Avenue are solid 4 star. Choose based on the benefit of your status.

I would choose PH Chicago to use for the certificate if you do no have a more lucrative use for it (eg PH NY when award nights open, Vendome, Maldives, Toyko)

Unless there has been a recent renovation, Sheraton was not good. Close to Navy Pier, but a little further than the other hotels to everything else.

Last edited by thucanhho; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:03 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Originally Posted by thucanhho
PH Chicago, Hyatt Mag Mile, W Lakeshore, Westin Michigan Avenue are good/almost equal location for exploring. Close to Mag Mile and many dining outlets.

Hyatt Mag Mile, W Lakeshore, Westin Michigan Avenue are solid 4 star. Choose based on the benefit of your status.

I would choose PH Chicago to use for the certificate if you do no have a more lucrative use for it (eg PH NY when award nights open, Vendome, Maldives, Toyko)

Unless there has been a recent renovation, Sheraton was not good. Close to Navy Pier, but a little further than the other hotels to everything else.
Thanks that's very helpful! I'm Hyatt Diamond and SPG Plat so either would work. Have you had any experience with the Grand Hyatt? I was reading some of the reviews and it seems the Mag Mile doesn't have a great view and is very loud due to the hospital nearby?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I'd do PH - its a really nice hotel, and the breakfast is very lovely.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canon5dfan
Thanks that's very helpful! I'm Hyatt Diamond and SPG Plat so either would work. Have you had any experience with the Grand Hyatt? I was reading some of the reviews and it seems the Mag Mile doesn't have a great view and is very loud due to the hospital nearby?
There is no Grand Hyatt. There is a Hyatt Regency with OK lounge (made much better by recent renovation) but nothing special since it is the largest HR out there. If view is very important to you, I have had some nice views of the river on the regency floor...you should have a good chance of getting it if you ask. A better location in the summer when there is a lot going on in Grant Park but not when you are going in October.

You are correct, Hyatt Magnif Mile will not give a view. I was not bothered by the sirens, even if Northwestern Hosp is across the street, but I am not a light sleeper. I think some have also complained about siren at every hotel around Mag mile, even PH.

I would choose Hyatt Mag mile among all the 4 stars since it recently underwent a very nice renovation. Standard breakfast buffet.

Of course, PH Chicago would be top pick with great restaurant & spa. Ask for a high floor with water tower view (this is what they are know for, the lake will be in the back. Same great view from the restaurant. Consider getting the welcome amenity (rather than points) since it is better than most locations in US. I personally would use the certificate from something more aspirational.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

There is no Grand Hyatt. There is a Hyatt Regency with OK lounge (made much better by recent renovation) but nothing special since it is the largest HR out there. If view is very important to you, I have had some nice views of the river on the regency floor...you should have a good chance of getting it if you ask. A better location in the summer when there is a lot going on in Grant Park but not when you are going in October.

You are correct, Hyatt Magnif Mile will not give a view. I was not bothered by the sirens, even if Northwestern Hosp is across the street, but I am not a light sleeper. I think some have also complained about siren at every hotel around Mag mile, even PH.

I would choose Hyatt Mag mile among all the 4 stars since it recently underwent a very nice renovation. Standard breakfast buffet.

Of course, PH Chicago would be top pick with great restaurant & spa. Ask for a high floor with water tower view (this is what they are know for, the lake will be in the back. Same great view from the restaurant. Consider getting the welcome amenity (rather than points) since it is better than most locations in US. I personally would use the certificate from something more aspirational.
Oops my head was in the wrong place! I meant the Hyatt Regency

Thanks for all the useful information. I'm not a light sleeper so I may go with the Hyatt Regency or the Westin for better sleep and views, it seems like it's still close enough to downtown.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

I would choose the PH Chicago, as we just had a very poor experience at the Hyatt Mag Mile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.