Wiki Posts
Search

Which hotel downtown Austin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Which hotel downtown Austin

I'm a Hyatt Diamond and looking to use a suite upgrade cert for 3 or 4 nights in downtown Austin or the river area. Any thoughts on the best suite for these certs?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Your options are essentially the Driskill or the HR. I personally prefer the historic Driskill hotel--not sure what Suite Category they could confirm for you with the Certs though. The HR is a standard HR that is essentially in downtown on the other side of the river. I would read the reviews of each property and go from there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-thread-3.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-thread-4.html
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Driskill has some nice unique suites. I would pick this hotel. Very unique property.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I've spent a lot of time in Austin, Driskill is a great property and perfect location. Not a typical Hyatt but great that it's in the Hyatt program now.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I've heard great things about the Driskill, and their suites look very nice, but I've stuck with the HR on my last two trips to Austin. When comparing prices, the Driskill hasn't been anywhere close to the HR. I also enjoy being on the water at the HR.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ea-hyatts.html
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:30 pm

I live here in Austin. Great, absolutely great city, though we are pricing people out of entire sections of the city with real estate prices now.

Driskill is on 6th, which is very very close to close to the college party bars. Sixth street gets packed on weekends(not as much in summer) and is really fun. The river area where the HR is located is much more....hipster styled. Lots of guys and gals doing SUP on the lake, some even doing yoga on the boards and such. Tons of beards, homeless folks, and pretty ladies everywhere. They probably won't be as drunk as the kiddo's on 6th, but they are a bit older and might have a couple extra bucks to their name. Both areas are worth visiting. You won't go wrong with either.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
"the river area where the HR is located...." I always pictured this location as deadmans land between SoCo and Downtown.... yet its neither of them so not particularly cool.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I've had a couple nice stays at the HR...never in a suite though. The location is fine if you have a car. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to stay at one of the more centrally located Hyatt family properties. I find the new parking garage and the charge for it to be a pain... will probably keep me from staying there again... if I have a car I might as well stay somewhere a little farther out and park for free.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Thanks everyone, I decided to stay at Lost Pines, leave my partner their during the day and commute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.