Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency SFO airport REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold

I have read all the topics on San Francisco and didnt see much on this hotel. Will be there for 2 nights in September. Any comments, suggestions on nearby places to eat that are easy to get to without car.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:47 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was there recently, and it is not on the airport property. A bus which also serves the SFO Marriott (first stop) will take you there in about 10-15 minutes. I was not overly impressed with the property. It seems to attract large convention groups. As a Diamaond, I was given an 'ok' room with a bay / airport view--but basically just an run of the mill hotel room. As far as other restaurants, there is a small plaza across from the hotel where I saw one of those chain restaurants (Chili's ?? or something similar) and a movie theatre. Not much else around. It would be a far walk to the Marriott and perhaps others can tell you more about the area, but I wouldn't rush back there anytime soon.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I guess everyone has differing perceptions. I am generally a fussy person, but I like the Hyatt SFO. I stay there at least once a month. Has a beautiful atrium and pretty good food in the restaurant located in the atrium. Rooms are just typical Hyatt- very clean, larger than at the nearby Marriott, and quiet. Few rooms have a view. 1/2 of the rooms face the atrium. Service is indeed lacking at the front desk with many employees less than friendly. There are numerous restaurants within a safe 5-10 minute walk- in fact the hotel is located on a "restaurant row". In addition, upscale restaurants are located in central Burlingame, about a 10 minute car or taxi ride away. I agree the hotel does attract conventions and check-in lines can be very long. They have only a special line for Diamonds, which is seldom used. I don't know why they can't include Platinum's as well.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:21 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I actually kind of like it to -- although the last visit I had to complain to the manager as a RC patron staged a kids birthday party in the RC!! Kids everywhere, presents and cake where the snacks should have been, etc. They should be been in a function room! That said, I find the rooms very adequate. You can take a 10-15 walk, just south and across the freeway to another strip of restruants. It's not great but certainly not one to avoid.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 2:03 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
I'm VERY fussy about my rooms, and like this property. As a Diamond I get (fairly large) suites 9 times out of 10. While the RC has been closed for months, the front desk will provide vouchers for a breakfast buffet and an evening snack (which can easily qualify as a light meal if you've had a good lunch) for each guest in your party. Staff can be an issue, so you'd be well advised to introduce yourself ahead of time to the (very friendly) front desk manager.

And there are indeed plenty of decent restaurants in the area - especially if you don't mind the quick drive to Burlingame Ave or to South SF.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Do any of the other Hyatts in SFO offer complimentary airport transportation to their guests? I'm staying over a weekend and would like to find a hotel that is (1) inexpensive ($80-max), (2) is near some great restaurants, (3) and is comfortable. If anyone has any other suggestions for other Hyatts, I would be interested to hear them! I have read many of the threads comparing the SFO properties, and it seems that everyone has agreed to disagree.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
JohnnyP-
Hyatt SFO has internet only rates for $76 (if available). It's a nice hotel with widely varying service. Management never responds to any complaints. Rooms are average sized Hyatt rooms. If you have a car, you are within 10 minutes of some "upscale" restaurants in Burlingame, otherwise perhaps a $8 cab ride each way. There are very good, but not gourmet, restaurants within walking distance. NO other Hyatt in San Francisco has free transportation to the airport- in fact no hotel in downtown San Francisco has to my knowledge. Taxi from downtown SF to the airport is about $35. Shuttle services are about $15 per person.
Hyatt SFO is about 15-20 miles and 25-30 minutes south of downtown San Francisco (where the Grand, Regency and Park are located).
Old Feb 10, 2003, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I just stayed there a few weekends ago. It's your average late 1980's/early 1990's hotel. Long hallways, average tired rooms, and generally friendly staff. I was upgraded to a "hospitality suite" upon arrival. It was large and sparsely decorated in gaudy 1980's style. (I'm not complaining! Merely stating fact.) I tried for one of their "deluxe suites" (I think they have four) but they were booked up for the night. I hear these are quite nice.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I am now at the Hyatt SFO. Overall, so far it is a pretty nice hotel. Nothing 5* or super fancy, but i'd place it along the lines of a Westin.

I used 1-800-checkin and asked if I could possibly receive a Gold Passport Diamond upgrade to a suite as I needed a bit more room to spread out and do some work. I was upgraded to a two-room (two separate room numbers) hospitality suite.

The overall suite is VERY LARGE. The bedroom is in a separate room (the "hospitality" part of the suite is via a connecting door) and is pretty much your standard hotel room with a chair and couch...nothing special so far. The hospitality portion of the suite is about two times the size of your standard hotel room and contains a dining room table with seating for six, a separate "living room" area with a loveseat, two upholstered chairs, end tables and a television anwar which separates the dining area from the television area. There is a separate catering area where food service can be organized and passed through for meetings. There is also a complete bathroom. The sitting area has a Murphy bed which has been built into the wall in a bookcase area. I guess if needed because the hotel is full, the hospitality section of the suite can be sold separately.

Check-in at the front desk was quick and painless. The two front desk agents were busy on the phone when I walked up (@ 8:30 p.m.) but quickly became available to check me in. The agent was very pleasant and personable. She immediately acknowledged my Diamond status and offered me my choice of Diamond amenity without my having to ask. When I asked about the different snack choices (type of fruits and cookies), she immediately rang room service and asked for me. Since I was checking in so late, I asked for the fresh whole fruit (banana, apple, pear and an orange). This turned out to be the right choice as I was soon to have more than enough complimentary food.

As part of my Diamond amenity, I was also provided two drink and appetizer coupons, good at either the sports bar or the atrium cafe (I don't know why I received two coupons as I was only single occupancy. Maybe because I had been given a two-roomsuite?). I visited the atrium cafe and ordered crab cakes, a chicken quesadilla and two perrier to go. The crab cake was tasty and the chicken quesadilla was more of a entree size rather than an appetizer size. Needless to say, with two appetizers, I had more than enough food for one person.

I was also given two coupons good for the buffet breakfast in the atrium. I plan on eating there in the morning and will report back later.

As mentioned in prior posts to this thread, the Hyatt SFO does provide free wireless internet access. The SSID is "tsunami" (all lower case letters) and there is not WEP (no security). I was able to gain access with a minimum of trouble from my room The wireless access is available from the guest rooms and any public space in the hotel. Pretty good deal. This free access alone would make the Hyatt SFO my choice of airport hotel.

It appears from the hotel emergency escape diagram on the room door that there are sixteen hopitality suites on the 2nd floor. I am assuming that this is the same on the rest of the floors, but I cannot confirm this. The hospitality suite is much more room than I would need as a road warrior staying for only one night. But if I were traveling with family or with co-workers and needed the extra space to work, these suites would be very welcome.

Besides the sports bar and the atrium cafe, there is also a deli in the atrium which serves sandwhiches (sliced to order Boarshead brand meats) and other to go items. Plenty of sit down restaurants close by to the hotel. Most within a 5-10 minute walk. There is also a Hyatt Cinema (of what relationship to the Hyatt hotel I do not know) across the street. There are not really any fast food or faster food type of restaurants within walkin distance of the Hyatt.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 02-10-2003).]
Old Feb 11, 2003, 1:16 am

Accross the street and up the block a bit there's a Sizzler and Max's Opera Cafe. Max's makes very good NY style deli sandwiches to go. It's best to call ahead and order by phone for Max's.

-David
Old Feb 11, 2003, 9:17 am

If you have some time to kill for dinner, I would really recommend Viognier (pronounced "Vignier") in San Mateo. Absolutely fantastic food and great wine.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:36 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Pieces is also less than a mile from the hotel. It is Aqua's sister resturant and probably the best place to eat in the area.

Viognier is a great suggestion also.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SW A-List
Pisces Restaurant is definitely great. Not too long ago you needed reservations well in advance. Interesting location as well, in a CalTrain stop.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 8:57 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I've had it with this hotel -- they never give me a decent room, always facing the freeway or a mile from the elevators, and it's ridiculous that there's no RC here.

Yet another bad experience at this hotel last night. This time they couldn't get the rate right. I originally booked AAA at $169 and then switched it to our corporate rate which is $139, and made the change through central reservations. The AAA rate still showed up when I checked in and the front office manager INSISTED that they had no rate for my company, AND that she'd never heard of my company. Now, this is a very large German software company that does tons of business with this hotel for their nearby training center so she was making no sense at all. When I finally convinced her that she should call central reservations to get my corporate rate, she refused and said, "that's not our procedure." I threatened to walk unless she resolved it, so she finally called and verified the $139 rate and supposedly switched it.

Imagine my surprise the next morning when I got my bill under the door and it said $184, even higher than the AAA rate. Another fight at the front desk when I checked out to get it changed.

I'm going back to the Marriott SFO.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As we were attending a wedding in nearby Burlingame, our entire family booked rooms at this hotel. We appreciated the shuttle from SFO and, as described in earlier posts, the rooms were rather tired but functional. One thing that was not mentioned, and may be of interest to women travelers: The lighting is horrible. I defy any woman to attempt applying make-up in that poorly-lit bathroom. There is a mirror over the dresser, and if one is lucky and has daylight, it is possible to apply makeup in the bedroom. Pity the poor woman dressing for the evening in the dark. So, if staying at this property, suggest bringing your own make-up mirror. BTW, the food was surprisingly good in the Atrium restaurant, although the servers were not very well-trained or professional. On Saturday afternoon, one of our guests requested a bloody mary with lunch and we were told that it was not possible to get an alcoholic beverage before "4 or 5." Thought that was a bit strange for a hotel which caters to business travelers. Also, no mini-bar in room and RC is still closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.