Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Confusion over booking Points and Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum

Been a Diamond Hyatt for 7 years and love the Gold Passport Program as I have found their customer service to be awesome. I was glad they introduced Points and Cash earlier this year and easily made three bookings for this summer using my suite upgrades. I am planning a 40 year anniversary trip for my wife and I next May and called today to make a similar reservation for the Grand Hyatt Berlin and the new Hyatt in Vienna. The rep said that it was not available because they must have reached their quota of rooms allowed under this program. I asked how could that possibly be as this was a year away and she said lots of people must have made long range reservations. Seems very odd to me that this would happen at both hotels I wanted to book. Does this sound right? Or do European hotels not offer the Points and Cash?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Plenty of threads about P+C already, especially this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html that contains about all you need to know about the rate.

But each hotel decides what availability to offer for P+C and when to offer it. The reply you got is a bit daft since there is no fixed quota. Although it's very easy to imagine that if there was any availability of the P+C rate that it's already been booked. People do tend to plan ahead :-).

Rates at the GH Berlin are often cheap though, so cash might be a better option anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I had read through that thread, but I still think it is wierd that both hotels had 'reached their quota'. Called back today and was told the same thing. I got the email from Hyatt the other day about being a part of their new My Hyatt Concierge so I am hoping that maybe they can help me when the program finally kicks in. I am thinking that their is a Hyatt rep that you can PM on this forum. Do you know if that is that still an option?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by joey965
Thanks. I had read through that thread, but I still think it is wierd that both hotels had 'reached their quota'. Called back today and was told the same thing. I got the email from Hyatt the other day about being a part of their new My Hyatt Concierge so I am hoping that maybe they can help me when the program finally kicks in. I am thinking that their is a Hyatt rep that you can PM on this forum. Do you know if that is that still an option?
I think the agent was just using a confusing word. Hotels don't have to offer P&C so I guess the "quota" can be 0. Maybe this is just the term the agents have been told to use.

Anyway, I think you would be correct to look into it further if each property had to offer x% of their rooms for P&C, but they don't so there isn't really anything to follow-up on here. You may be able to contact the property directly and see if they would be willing to open up P&C for you, but I don't think the agents are missing any hidden availability that someone else could find for you.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I didn't realize that not every hotel had to offer Points and Cash. I took the advice of the earlier responder and decided to book Cash only at 190 Euros and then used a Diamond upgrade. I have been reading these posts for months, but this was the first time I posted. Thanks to both of you.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by joey965
I didn't realize that not every hotel had to offer Points and Cash. I took the advice of the earlier responder and decided to book Cash only at 190 Euros and then used a Diamond upgrade. I have been reading these posts for months, but this was the first time I posted. Thanks to both of you.
Points and Cash (as well as My Elite Rate) are totally at the property's discretion - as of now T&Cs state that they are through 12/31/14 only (they are evaluating the programs - but it likely will continue - maybe with some tweaks). They could be discontinued if few properties participate and only for very limited time periods.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:16 pm

I thought P&C is available if standard award room is available?

Or are you saying that only applies through the end of the year?

-David
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
No; I've seen plenty of times when P&C was not available but standard points award was.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As peteropny has already stated if you look at the T&C's for MER and P+C you will see that there is no guarantee for availability. It's at the discretion of a property to offer it on any date of their choosing, if at all.

There really should not be any confusion when this is what is stated:
Points + Cash awards are subject to availability. Limited number of rooms may be allocated for these awards, and availability may vary by hotel. Points + Cash awards are not valid at Hyatt Zilara, Hyatt Ziva or M life resorts. Promotional blackout periods may apply due to seasonal periods or special events.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
No; I've seen plenty of times when P&C was not available but standard points award was.
Thanks .. which properties?

-David
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

-David
I had this issue at Boston Harbor as few weeks ago. No P+C, but points only was avail. It was better than the $300+ rate for one night.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP

-David
SF this weekend has no C&P but can hit regular points awards.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The one I've looked at most is the Hyatt House Sorrento Mesa.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP

-David
Unfortunately, it's probably not super helpful to make a list. I check P&C for most of my stays and availability can vary at the same hotel from one day to the next even though standard awards are available the entire period.

I don't think it's as simple as some properties offer the same availability as standard awards and others don't. It seems that most that I've looked at are somewhere in the middle.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
First post for me. Didn't know that a property can opt out of cash and points altogether. I recently made a C+P booking for 7 nights in September at Grand Hyatt Istanbul. I'm glad they didn't have a problem with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.