Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Keeping Hyatt Chase card-is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Is the $95 annual fee worth to pay to have Platinum status? Considering if an annual certificate equals to a maximum 15K UR points (which could be MS for $85-105), is it still a good idea to keep the card? (also considering that other cards come with no foreign transaction fees)
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:44 am

Do you stay at Hyatts? If not, then I would say no. CSP is superior is nearly all fronts.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Do you stay at Hyatts? If not, then I would say no. CSP is superior is nearly all fronts.
I don`t see a big benefit of Platinum (if any), but maybe I am missing something. I value free lounge/food the most in any loyalty program, and Platinum doesn`t have that.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kat007
I don`t see a big benefit of Platinum (if any), but maybe I am missing something. I value free lounge/food the most in any loyalty program, and Platinum doesn`t have that.
If My Elite Rate is extended in 2015 it's worth it, I've saved a multiple of the annual fee as a result of this.

There are a few other nice benefits such as Gold status in MGM's MLife program.

For me the problem is there aren't any Cat 4 properties I'd stay at, so the free annual night is literally useless, I'd take 10,000 points over it any day.

Also, isn't the AF $75 not $95?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
If My Elite Rate is extended in 2015 it's worth it, I've saved a multiple of the annual fee as a result of this.
Right, forgot about that benefit. Again, if OP does not stay at Hyatts somewhat regularly, then I would see no benefit of it to them.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum,
If you don't like Hyatt its not worth it, if you don't value luxury hotel suites then its not worth it.

Sure Platinum is no diamond but my elite rate is awesome and you do occasionally get thrown an upgrade.

There are some good cat 4 properties like the Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui which goes for around $300 a night which I am using my night on this Christmas.
Park Hyatt Siem Reap was a great hotel when I stayed last year and Hyatt Fishermans Warf in SF is a great location and can get quiet expensive.

Edit: Added that not canceling this after a year can also help your reputation with Chase.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I've kept mine since its introduction because I find I get at least the annual fee back in savings from the complimentary internet, My Elite Rate, award night, and bonus points. I wouldn't have status without the card.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:01 pm

I know for us it will be worth it since we can get a $400EU night room for the fee. DH is diamond so the benefits for the card are negligible other than the free room, but it's something that we'd definitely use.
YMMV
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Well worth it for me:

1. I always get at least $200 out of the anniversary cat 4 night.
2. I spend a lot at Hyatt (3x) and on dining (2x)
3. The 2stay after $20K spend, 3 additional stays after $40K help me requalify for diamond and minimize mattress runs.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Well worth it for me:

1. I always get at least $200 out of the anniversary cat 4 night.
2. I spend a lot at Hyatt (3x) and on dining (2x)
3. The 2stay after $20K spend, 3 additional stays after $40K help me requalify for diamond and minimize mattress runs.
Glad you mentioned this, would you find more value from this or a Sapphire Preferred? I probably average between $40-50k per year spend.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The Hyatt Visa CC provides good value as a backup credit card, especially if your primary card is from American Express. The Chase Hyatt CC is also good as a backup if your primary credit card charges fx conversion fees on international transactions. The Hyatt card is good to use at restaurants, which earn 2x points.

The beauty of the Chase Hyatt as a backup credit card is that for the annual benefit of 1 free night at a Cat 4 hotel, there is no spending requirement. As others have mentioned, the annual free night benefit usually will exceed the $75 annual fee.

The Chase Hyatt Visa CC is more valuable as a primary credit card if Hyatt Gold Passport is your primary hotel loyalty program, and that you stay at Hyatt hotels often.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I was very close to pull the plug on the card this year, as I used the free night in NYC - but alas there are no more Cat. 4 in NYC. My other travel pattern lends itself to locations that Hyatt is not really present in. I was able to find a use for the free night this year, so the card is being kept active for another year; next year it would probably be gone.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by op487062
Glad you mentioned this, would you find more value from this or a Sapphire Preferred? I probably average between $40-50k per year spend.
I had the Sapphire Preferred and the Hyatt CC works better for me. I also heavily use INK Plus for office supply stores and Amex Gold for airline (while there is no annual fee.)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
We love our Chase Hyatt card. Points rack up quickly and the earn/redemption is still one of the best out there for hotel programs.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
How long after the annual fee posted did the annual free night post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.