Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Keeping Hyatt Chase card-is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping Hyatt Chase card-is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by thucanhho
Well worth it for me:

1. I always get at least $200 out of the anniversary cat 4 night.
2. I spend a lot at Hyatt (3x) and on dining (2x)
3. The 2stay after $20K spend, 3 additional stays after $40K help me requalify for diamond and minimize mattress runs.
same for us. Always maximize the Cat 4. While I'm now a lowly plt. I seem to get RC access, nice room upgrades and recognition when I stay at Hyatts, so I'm sticking with them and the card.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Cancelled mine in the hopes that they bring back the suite night offer and i will reapply then...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:37 am

75$ is not too high a fee to have foreign-fee free card and an annual night in case you need it.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cat. 4 free night + $20 cheaper annual fee + (FWIW) Instant Plat. = I might keep it & dump the Sapphire next year, now that Chase means it with their Transfer to Self or Spouse/DP Only Rule !
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:50 pm

I wondered this same thing, but I've been able to use my and DH's free nights at some pretty great places. NYC before they changed the category for the Hyatt Place and this winter we'll be using it at the Hyatt House in Fort Lauderdale for a 2 nights. Not a super location, but great reviews and the hotels run around $250-$300 a night in the area.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
When does Platinum tier status show up as renewed through February 2016?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I can't see a reason not to keep the card.
1. Free night - last time I redeemed at Hyatt Regency HK TST ~ $300/nt.
2. Triple Hyatt points
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:34 pm

I am staying at windward pointe in the keys come March. 2 nights free, around $800 savings... So far looks good to me!

Babs
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm think of cancelling this in a few months after the free cat 4 night posts, then re-applying in about a year to get the two free nights at (almost) any property again.

Is that a bad strategy?

Also, if I do cancel early next year, will I lose platinum status immediately or at the end of the year?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Is that a bad strategy?
Yes.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Maybe Jphripjah's strategy is not so bad. I just got my Anniv. Free Night last week, but my Annual Fee will be billed Dec. 1st. Over the years I cancelled Chase Visas for Marriott, IHG, and Fairmont after being awarded the free night without a problem. Now I get ads & emails which solicit me to re-apply !
Chase's rule is that one must wait 2 full years (24 months) after receiving a welcome bonus to get it again on the same type of card.
IDK when Plat status ends when cancelling a card, but when I cancelled my UA Visa, I lost enhanced award-seat availability and discounted change fees almost immediately.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JackE
Yes.
Why is it a bad strategy? Will I lose platinum status immediately? Getting two free nights at virtually any property again seems better than one night at a category 1-4.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Why is it a bad strategy? Will I lose platinum status immediately? Getting two free nights at virtually any property again seems better than one night at a category 1-4.
You won't necessarily get the 2 free nights in the strategy you described.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Free WiFi via the Plat is not insignificant either. While I agree overall Plat isn't a great value - between the free night stay (also using mine this year at the Hyatt HK TST), the 2pm checkout, and the my elite rates, it's worth the $75 to keep in my pocket since I find myself staying at a Hyatt when push comes to shove often because of the "my elite rate"
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Chase usually makes you wait 24 months from the date your last bonus (2 free nights) posted to be eligible for another bonus. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.