Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HP Midtown South ($95) or Hyatt Times Square ($160)?

Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Which property for a one-night stay? Won't be in the room much. Will be bringing my own bag of PHT Aesop amenities. I don't like the physical location of either property, but both are significantly cheaper than the other options. I've read both review threads, and I don't think the room (even upgraded) and the breakfast of the Hyatt Times Square are 68% better than those at the Hyatt Place Midtown South, but I'm willing to hear arguments from being who have stayed in one or preferably both properties.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:51 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by lawyertalk
Which property for a one-night stay? Won't be in the room much. Will be bringing my own bag of PHT Aesop amenities. I don't like the physical location of either property, but both are significantly cheaper than the other options. I've read both review threads, and I don't think the room (even upgraded) and the breakfast of the Hyatt Times Square are 68% better than those at the Hyatt Place Midtown South, but I'm willing to hear arguments from being who have stayed in one or preferably both properties.
I've stayed at both several times. Given your criteria plus the price difference I would go with HP.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:32 am
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It depends what you're in the city to do. We love staying at the Hyatt Times Square because it's so convenient and fun to walk out the lobby and be in the middle of Times Square. So ask yourself what you are wanting to do in the city and which will be more convenient for you.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The question is, how the heck did you ever find HP in Manhattan for under $100 ???
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
The question is, how the heck did you ever find HP in Manhattan for under $100 ???
Last-minute weekend booking + BRG.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why would anyway willingly stay in Times Square?

I can't help on those two specific properties as I've only stayed at the Hyatt Union Square (which I liked quite a bit and think is the best location of all the Hyatt's in the city).

Seriously though - unless you're a first time tourist I don't know why you'd want to stay in Times Square itself. It's crowded, all the immediate restaurants are overpriced, etc. If you want to visit Times Square you can easily walk there from the Hyatt Place South but at the same time you don't have to physically stay in Times Square and can avoid it if you choose.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
For a one night stay If you only need a bed and a shower Hyatt Place... save your money and spend it out in the city! There is so much to do and see in NYC if your time is limited don't spend it on a hotel.

I'm in NYC often, for shot stays, 1 or 2 nights I go with the cheapest Hyatt, for long stays I go with the place I want to call home.

HP is not a bad location, 15 to 25 minute walk to the village, and other great neighborhoods, and via subway you can get anywhere in Manhattan in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Jun 14, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:08 am

Just completed a two night award stay at HTS... have stayed several times at HP (each of those times I question "why did I come back") so hands down for $55 difference HTS. They treated this diamond family very well w/comp suite upgrade early in day (11:30 check in w/room available), very nice diamond breakfast at "the diner" (generous allowance of $37 pp and special off-menu requests cheerfully accommodated -- recommend the oreo milkshake in the AM). Extremely well staffed during our stay, high level of customer service and we felt very welcome... sincere and not patronizing... this trip we needed to be in TS area and walking 3 blocks in pouring rain was a breeze (with huge umbrellas at the ready when stepping out of lobby). Internet fast, elevators quite fast.. even when slightly crowded on weekend. Also don't forget you will earn 500 points extra for stay for your diamond amenity.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:37 am
Suspended

Any decent hotel for under $100 in NYC is a no brainer.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Ended up staying at the HP. $95 is probably about all it's worth. I wouldn't pay more than $150/night, and I certainly wouldn't stay here for more than a night or two.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ended up staying at the HP. $95 is probably about all it's worth.
You're not paying (only) for the room/hotel you get... you're paying for the location, and $95 for that location is a steal. I really don't get why you seem so negative about that, or was there something missing from what you can expect from a HP?

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 16, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Not negative. Simply stating my opinion: It's just what I would expect for paying $95/night. And, absent unusual circumstances, I wouldn't pay more than $150 total after including the being-in-NY surcharge. Because:

The breakfast hours are too short/early, the guests are too touristy (and it looks like the front desk is tired of them too), the location on the N/Q/R is fine but not as convenient as something on the 4/5/6 or 1/2/3, the elevators are slow (but not as annoying as others have found), and the linens are not cleaned well (first set was stained, replacement set had dirty marks, and I just gave up by the third set).

But that's what I expect at that price point and what I expect from places like Courtyard Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Still sounds like (misplaced) negativity to me.... Yes, tourists are everywhere. Especially at the cheaper properties. You could easily spend tripple that and still get all the tourists.

Not to deny you your opinion, but your expectations seem awfully high. What did you expect for <$100 in Manhattan?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.