Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

Mod note - the pre-opening discussion for this property is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...iscussion.html.

Trying to gather my pictures and thoughts to update my blog...

I was able to check in about an hour and a half early. Many little hiccups in the check-in process, but everybody was super nice. I was upgraded from an Andaz Twin to an Andaz Bay View Twin. A little disappointed that I didn't get upgraded to an Andaz Large room, but apparently those are only available with King bed.

When I asked about the suite upgrades, the front office manager told me that the suite upgrades could NOT be used at this hotel due to the limited number of suites available, but that those that did get their suite upgrades applied on the first day of reservations would have them honored.

If I had to choose one word to describe my impression of the hotel at this point, that word would be "Hmmm..."

Last edited by peteropny; Jun 11, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
hailstorm, I look forward to your report. When I went over there security was only allowing those with reservations to enter the hotel portion of the complex.

As for the public areas, I thought they were fine, but they certainly didn't wow me, and the shopping pales in comparison to Roppongi Hills (mostly restaurants and services, very little clothing and other goods stores). Of Mori's other developments, it's closer in scale to Ark Hills.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
hailstorm, I look forward to your report. When I went over there security was only allowing those with reservations to enter the hotel portion of the complex.
Slowly getting some pictures and thoughts up now.

Upper floor restaurants are only available to paying guests tonight.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This hotel...will take some getting used to. LOL
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
From your pictures, the hotel doesn't look terribly appealing. The drink selections in the lobby and minibar are uninspired and unimpressive. They make the Andaz 5th Avenue's minibar selections look good, which is saying something. The puke-colored carpet is also unpleasant.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:32 am
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Trying to gather my pictures and thoughts to update my blog...

I was able to check in about an hour and a half early. Many little hiccups in the check-in process, but everybody was super nice. I was upgraded from an Andaz Twin to an Andaz Bay View Twin. A little disappointed that I didn't get upgraded to an Andaz Large room, but apparently those are only available with King bed.

When I asked about the suite upgrades, the front office manager told me that the suite upgrades could NOT be used at this hotel due to the limited number of suites available, but that those that did get their suite upgrades applied on the first day of reservations would have them honored.

If I had to choose one word to describe my impression of the hotel at this point, that word would be "Hmmm..."
Thank you for the pictures and review!

Quite frankly, I am rather underwhelmed at this point. The lack of DSU really killed this hotel for me. The room looks absurdly plain compared to the GH and PH... I suppose it's the style / concept of the hotel? Don't get me started on the bathroom amenities... Brandless and they look cheap as hell. How the heck are they going to compete with PH's Aesop and GH's REN?

Even worse, in general, the rate of the Andaz is higher than the GH! I am rather bewildered on how this hotel is going to compete against the GH or PH
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
From your pictures, the hotel doesn't look terribly appealing. The drink selections in the lobby and minibar are uninspired and unimpressive. They make the Andaz 5th Avenue's minibar selections look good, which is saying something. The puke-colored carpet is also unpleasant.
Yes, I likened the room to this distopic view of the future a stone's throw away:

http://dailycontributor.com/the-futu...le-tower/2488/

While I agree that the room is unimpressive, perhaps even ugly, the biggest problem right now is the weird fusion of Andaz hospitality and Japanese ultra-politeness. Everyone is trying, but the Japanese staff just doesn't seem to "get" the concept, and the whole place feels very off-putting.

As a Tokyo Hyatt Fan, I wish that I didn't have to say that.

On a more positive note, the pool facilities were very impressive. Here is a five minute video that I took, a 328MB file that I uploaded to YouTube via the Hyatt Wifi connection in under three minutes. ^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ8cv4t2tT8
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Gold
The bathroom amenities are from a Japanese local company "Pelican Soap" and it's bamboo scent for the summer months. You can also smell the same scent throughout the hotel public space.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I came into this really wanting to like this place and give it a glowing review. But between the room design (especially the sleeping area), and the offputting clash between Andaz hospitality (that I’ve never really experienced, but I’m getting a glimpse of from the foreign staff) and Japanese uber-politeness…I’m just not feeling it with this hotel yet.

I have no complaints about the friendliness and earnest feelings of the staff, which are genuine. But this blend of east and west is just not working. Speaking in the highest level of politeness (さようでございます and such) works to soothe and relax the customer of a Japanese ryokan, but in a Western-style hotel, it just produces an uncomfortable feeling. I feel totally on edge when I’m walking through the hotel, and the insane asylum pitch-white walls of the bedroom make me feel totally on edge when I’m in my room.

The pool and spa are gorgeous, and a welcome oasis in this hotel. Outside of that area, there is nowhere to unwind. There is nowhere to relax. Contrary to the supposed mission of Andaz, this is the most uncomfortable that any Hyatt hotel has ever made me feel.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The hamburger I ordered was really good!

At least the food gets a big thumbs up from me. ^
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KKR
Don't get me started on the bathroom amenities... Brandless and they look cheap as hell. How the heck are they going to compete with PH's Aesop and GH's REN?
Actually, I found these amenities to be quite good. Not on the level of Aesop, but better than the regular offerings of HRT and GHT (Grand Hyatt Tokyo has June Jacobs now). They might even be better than REN.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:36 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. You are right the sleeping area is too plain in colors.

Instead of white, I much preferred neutral colors like GH TYO does with their rooms.

How are the renovations at GH TYO now? Can we request REN stuff at their property? I miss their original Kose products.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:25 pm
KKR
Formerly known as kkr

Programs: AA EXP, VX Gold, SPG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Actually, I found these amenities to be quite good. Not on the level of Aesop, but better than the regular offerings of HRT and GHT (Grand Hyatt Tokyo has June Jacobs now). They might even be better than REN.
Might be worth trying then. Btw, you can still ask for REN if you're staying at a Suite in GHT. I did it this past April.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Adding a few things about the sleep experience, and trying out the mi casa su casa experience at 4:40am...
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the initial thoughts and pictures. From what I can see, I agree with your sentiments about the room. I don't think this property will be on our radar next time we are in Tokyo. The GHT and PHT are just too nice...the room at the Andaz looks way too sterile for me, almost hospital like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.